Home
I know there is a thread with some pictures comparing the two but can not find it for anything. Anyone with both that would be willing to take a few pics comparing the two??? Looking at one of the two of these for my next project with a #5 contour. Thanks
The McMillan Hunter is the Sako Hunter made to fit the Remington 700 action with MR, standard, and magnum/LVSF barrel contours. It has the thin/narrow forearm. The Remington Hunter has the thick/wide forearm that works better, at least for me, with larger contour barrels.

JEff
I have a Remington Hunter with a #3 contour in it. Yes, the barrel does look somewhat small, but the great feel of the stock is what matters to me. A #5 would look fine.

405wcf
This Remington Hunter has a #5 in it. Up until this point, I have said that is the smallest contour that would look proportionate in it. My current build is using a Brux #4, and after talking to McMillan and Rick Bin, I may end up going with a another Remington Hunter for this build. Brux's number 4 is actually between Hart's and Douglas' #4 and #5. To my eyes it looked as big as the Krieger #5 shown in this picture. I love the way the Hunter stocks feel, but McMillan says a #4 will fit in the McMillan Hunter, but not well with longer than a 1" shank. That's the only thing holding me back on it. Now struggling between the BDL, which will hold up to a #5, and Remington Hunter.

John

[Linked Image]
I ordered a McMillan hunter as my next build will be using a #3 Shilen. Like Hondo, Rick and McMillan shared similar information about the forearm size of the Remington hunter.

65% Olive, 15% Woodland Beige, 20% Black is my flavor
© 24hourcampfire