Home
Guys, I have a .30-06 Husqvarna rifle with the sweedish HVA 5000 action that my dad gave me some time ago. He bought it in 1968 and its been used quite a bit but is in good condition. The action is like a Mauser 98 and seems really strong based on the research I've done so far on it. I've read some favorable information that Wayne Van Zwall and Chuck Hawks have said about this particular action. I'm thinking of restoring the rifle with a nice wood stock and new barrel (possibly in a different chambering .280AI, .270, etc).

Any thoughts on using this action for a custom build?

Does anyone have a similar rifle that you could share your thoughts on? Thank you.
My favorite action by far. I know TC1 has a nice wood stocked .270 and Steelhead and I both have mcmillan stocked rifles. I'm working on my second custom build now but it will wear a Brown stock.
Use it and don't look back. Marvelous actions.
Have you guys seen these new HVA actions for sale?

New HVA actions
Thanks for the feedback. I have the HVA 5000 action, not the 8000. The HVA 5000 is a controlled round feed action.
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Have you guys seen these new HVA actions for sale?

New HVA actions

Those are actually made by Zoli and have been modified from the original Husqvarna design.
Steve,

Do you know what the differences are between the Swedish and Italian actions?

JEff
My first custom 257WBY was built on one of these. If I had not HAD to sell it when the kids were small, I never would have.
They are wonderful little actions that will dress up very nicely. Most M98 aftermarket parts bolt right up. The tang needs to be dressed up a little if you're going to convert to a 3-positions safety and there is a neat mode you can do to get ride of the exposed sheet metal bolt release.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Terry
Terry, still the best looking rifle ever seen on the fire...
Thanks Biathlonman, this one gets used more than any of the others. It's light and handy but still has a nice balance mainly due to the 22" barrel.

It was a fun project.

Terry
Yep, that is one fine hunting rifle there, Terry. Lovin it here.
I've got a 220 Swift built on an HVA action. Perfect. Regards, Rick.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Steve,

JEff

My question as well. What's the difference between a Swede 1900 and the Zoli 1900 ?
Terry, thanks for the pictures and the info. Beautiful rifle!
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Steve,

JEff

I know the bolt release and the safety have been modified, the trigger probably has too.
I would really like to try a Zoli bolt in a Swedish 1900 action, but I don't want to spend that much on an experiment. I suppose at some point it should be done in the name of knowledge.
Steve did you see the deal on these actions through McGowen Barrel's. Think they were something like $350 and barreled actions were something like $500 ish ? I'm really tempted to get one and drop it into a McMillan Sako Classic.

While I have ya here do you know if anyone makes an aftermarket trigger for the Husky 1900 and also aftermarket bottom metal in steel. I was wondering if any of the after market units that would fit say a small ring Mauser would work on the 1900 Husky. Pretty sure the scope bases I've used were SR Mauser jobs for a 1.3 Mauser diameter
RDFinn;

Don't you have a real 1900 or two? You could get one of the Zoli's and see how many parts are the same.

I don't know of any aftermarket trigger for the 1900, but there could be something in Sweden that I am not aware of. I have heard that bottom metal that fits the 1909 Argentine may fit the 1900.
Got two. This is a 30/06 unfired I picked up from a guy pretty cheap. It's mint w/o a scratch. Has a straight stock w/cheek piece and a scnabel (sp?) forend.

[Linked Image]

And this one in 06 I had customized with a Hart 24" barrel, McMillan Remington Mountain Rifle pattern and Black-T finished. Accruacy is unreal.

[Linked Image]

Had a third one but sold it with a MC stock, rosewood forend and grip cap and engraved floorplate.
BTW Steve, did you see that custom in the gun writers section that was built on the "1900 mechanism" as they referred to it ? It was titled something like World's most expensive rifle....$820,000 bucks.
Yes, I saw that. Who is zooming who with that price ????
That's funny. Pretty rifle, but how in the world do they come up with prices like that. Reminded me of watching one of those Barrett/Jackson car auctions. You'd never know we are in an economic depression watching those guys dropping hundreds of thousands of dollars on Shelby Mustangs, anything Hemi and Carrol Shelby's personal Cobra that went for $5.5 million.
Originally Posted by sbhva
RDFinn;

Don't you have a real 1900 or two? You could get one of the Zoli's and see how many parts are the same.

I don't know of any aftermarket trigger for the 1900, but there could be something in Sweden that I am not aware of. I have heard that bottom metal that fits the 1909 Argentine may fit the 1900.

Not RDFinn, here...

But you guys just gave me a he!! of an idea... smile I have a S&W Mod: C and a Carl Gustaf both M-1900's AND I have a Zoli AZ-1900. I just dug them all out of the safe. The bolt out of the Zoli will go in either of the others and fire (Zoli is a 6.5x55...) (The S&W is an '06 and the Carl Gustaf is a .25-06...) The bolts LOOK identical. But the root of the bolt handle is slightly higher on the Swede actions (looks like .050"-.100") and hits on the back of the action dis-allowing the bolt from going in the last half inch or so. Hope this helps answer some of your questions...

GH

P.S: I didn't check the headspace, I figured it a moot point...
Grasshopper;

Let me see if I understand. The Zoli bolt goes into the Swede actions, but the Swede bolts don't work in the Zoli?

If you have the capability of checking headspace, I would really like to know if the Zoli bolt headspaces correctly in the Swede actions.

Does the Zoli have the same adjustable trigger as the Swedes? How about the trigger guard, is that interchangeable?

With these questions I am trying to find out if the Zoli can be used for replacement parts for the Swede 1900 actions, not the other way around.
Steve,

I don't know why I didn't think to check the headspace while I had them apart... blush I had them on the bench and the headspace gauges were right there in the toolbox...

The floor plates and magazines look about the same. Visually, I couldn't tell any difference except for the finish.

The only reason the Husky bolts wouldn't go in the Zoli, was because the root where the handle attaches to the bolt, is slightly larger on the Husky bolts... If a guy had a reason to, about 10 minutes with a file would likely take care of the situation...

As you likely know, the Zoli AZ-1900 has a auxilary lever on the right side to allow the bolt to open with the safety on. (Probably some lawyers idea...) Kind of a neat idea, but not really a necessity, IMO... But then I don't chamber a live round until I'm ready to hunt. (If I lose a trophy buck for being a bit extra safe, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it...) smile

I'll have to look a little closer at the trigger. The only adjustment I noted on the Carl Gustaf rifle, appeared to be an overtravel screw... And the only reason I noted that, was because I could't depress the trigger enough to get the bolt out.

When I go back to the basement, today... I'll check the headspace...

GH
© 24hourcampfire