Home
I've got a Rem 700 varmint barreled action in 223 sitting in a drawer that I have to decide whether to keep or sell. It shoots alright, so long as I don't jerk the trigger:

[Linked Image]

But I need to put a proper stock on it. So, what's your favorite McMillan pattern for the Rem 700 varmint and why? Pics are always appreciated grin I'm looking at both sporter and "tactical" patterns, likely in a loud 'swirl color just for fun.
Don't have one (yet) but the Marksman is top of my list for a varmint contour R700.
A3. I don't like the butt hook on the A5 for shooting off a bag.

Personally, I'm finding that I prefer Manners stocks for the heavier barrel rifles. I love the T2 - it has the forend of the Mcmillan A5 but there is no hook and the stock rides a rear bag nicely.
I've always wanted a HTG. That in a nice simple camo pattern I think would do the trick.

Terry
Originally Posted by JasonF
Don't have one (yet) but the Marksman is top of my list for a varmint contour R700.

My favorite for sure.......
A-5.....cause it handles great! Not a fly weight but neither is a varmint contour. A-5 don't suck. Also wouldn't care for a barrel length longer than 22" on a 223.

[Linked Image]
Remington Hunter, and if you want a beefier fore-end, Remington Varmint.

John
For a sporter style that still does great prone or with a pod I would go with the Remington Hunter as well. Otherwise I would be looking to the A3 or a variant thereof.

[Linked Image]

Not a close up but a sendero contour in a loud swirl Reminton Hunter.
Any pics of the Remington Hunter pattern? Sounds interesting...
Rem varmint

Or

A-3

I just got a rem varmint and really like it so far.
Originally Posted by Partagas
For a sporter style that still does great prone or with a pod I would go with the Remington Hunter as well. Otherwise I would be looking to the A3 or a variant thereof.

[Linked Image]

Not a close up but a sendero contour in a loud swirl Reminton Hunter.

Thanks for the pic. How's the balance and what fill did you specify?
The balance is good. I can't remember offhand where it is exactly but feels great offhand as well as other shooting positions. It is a long action 338 RUM so magnum fill was specified. I feel like it is a good fit for the barrel contour. Will try and dig up a couple more pics.
I like the Rem. Varmint...Like the A5 wrgos except for butt hook.
Originally Posted by TC1
I've always wanted a HTG. That in a nice simple camo pattern I think would do the trick.

Terry

Terry,

I've owned a couple of HTGs, and would never own another one unless it had the adjustable cheekpiece. I think others here would echo my sentiments unless they have some sort of oddly shaped head.

As to the original question, varmint contours and A3s go together like peanut butter and jelly. The A5 is too much stock for a varmint contour IMO.

-Dan
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Any pics of the Remington Hunter pattern? Sounds interesting...

Here's a coouple of pics of Remington Hunters I have had (med blue/black) or do have (white/med gray/dark gray flame). I like them MUCH better than an HTG. Comb is higher and aligns my head better with the scope.

John

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Go A1-3. It has the A3 forend and the HTG grip/butt except the comb has been raised to the max height...IMHO, like the original HTG should be.
I have a Sako Varmint, Remington Varmint, and a A-3. A-3 trumps the other two and by quite a bit.
These aren't best pictures but here is the same 24" Rem. varmint contour in both.
I like the added 1.5" fore end length and the bipod stud being 2" further forward.
The Rem. Varmint stock widens about a .25" just in front of the front action screw where as the A-3 maintains the same dimension which makes for much nicer one hand carry.
I also find the A-3 much easier to hold offhend than the Rem or Sako Varmint. YMMV.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Good thing they make so many patterns for us fickle folks. I like my A3 on my heavy 223AI, but prefer the Rem Varmint on factory varmint contours, as long as they are 24" or less.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The first photo is a 20" factory barrel, the second is a 26" factory barrel, which I later had cut back to 23".
Different strokes and all that wink
I am digging my McMillan A-Hole...
Probably one of the most comfortable stocks I have used on a chunk rifle. Not usually a fan of thumbhole type stock, but this one just seems to suck your hand into the perfect shooting grip.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
I am digging my McMillan A-Hole...
Probably one of the most comfortable stocks I have used on a chunk rifle. Not usually a fan of thumbhole type stock, but this one just seems to suck your hand into the perfect shooting grip.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I just got mine bedded last night. Should take it on its maiden voyage sometime this week.
Looking foward to reading how it goes.
Mine was pretty awesome without bedding and just fireforming loads.
I'll have to say I like the A-3 best also. Much better feel than the Rem Varmint to me. I just trying to fiqure out a gap (what I need or convince myself I need) just to get another.

Only down side is the A3 is a bit heavy & comb may be a bit high with a really low scope (mounted low to the receiver). With any scope you would have on a heavier varmint rifle (usually 50mm+ objective) you'll be fine.
I use an HTG and an A5 with Rem varmint barrels. Can't really call one or the other 'favorite'.

The HTG has a low comb. I put the scope in low Burris DD Sigs, and with the stock pack, it's just about perfect. Very handy to carry being slimmer than some others.
[Linked Image]

The A5 is made to accomodate a higher mounted scope, and has great ergos for shooting, with the high comb, and vertical grip. I'm not really in love with the wide forend, or the butt hook though.
[Linked Image]

Shane,

You ever spent any time behind an A3? Just curious.

Thanks,

Dan
Dan,

No time on the A3. I do have an A2 on my heavy 30-06 though, and it's quite similar to the A3. I like the A2 pattern a lot.

[Linked Image]

I think I'd like the A3 just as well.
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
The A5 is made to accomodate a higher mounted scope, and has great ergos for shooting, with the high comb, and vertical grip. I'm not really in love with the wide forend, or the butt hook though.

Sounds like you would REALLY like the A3... Same feel as A5 but no hook & smaller forearm. Easily my favorite stock for a bigger gun.
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Dan,

No time on the A3. I do have an A2 on my heavy 30-06 though, and it's quite similar to the A3. I like the A2 pattern a lot.

[Linked Image]

I think I'd like the A3 just as well.

That's right, I forgot you had an A2 on your '06. I've never handled an A2. Owned a couple of A5s, a few A3s, and now the A-Hole. I haven't spent enough time with the A-Hole to really say yet, but as of now, the A3 is my pick.
I have 2 rifles with A3s and RVC barrels. I think they are GREAT together. Heavier barrels, I go A5.

A3s with RVCs:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
what is the purpose of the butt hook anyways?? I think there is a gap in stock design, what I would like to see is a stock that can handle a varmint contour barrel, but still maintain a slim forened to the extent possible and save weight in other areas. it looks like the stock on this LR 1000 is about perfect for what I think a long range hunting stock should be.

http://www.gunwerks.com/Shooting-Systems/Gunwerks-LR-1000-Shooting-System.aspx

not a fan of these guys necessarily but the stock looks cool
© 24hourcampfire