Home
My latest Springfield 1903 sporter is starting to take shape. I am thinking this may be my last one so I have installed most of the goodies I have collected over the years. It will have a half octagon-half round barrel, three position safety, custom Buehler scope bases, Band front swivel eye, band front ramp, trap buttplate and custom hinged floorplate-triggerguard. Stock is a piece of straight grained English and scope is a leupold 3 power. It will still be a bit before it will be done but I guess it isn't really needed to hunt with at the present. laugh

OH BTW the caliber is: what else, a 30-06 of course. wink

I apologize for the quality of the photos as I snapped them in a hurry in between other tasks today.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: GuyM Re: Latest 1903 sporter. - 10/30/11
Very nice! An American classic.
Posted By: ironeagle_84 Re: Latest 1903 sporter. - 10/30/11
id shoot it.
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Latest 1903 sporter. - 10/30/11
Very Nice
Posted By: Craigster Re: Latest 1903 sporter. - 10/30/11
I like it. The stock, tell us more.
Posted By: derby_dude Re: Latest 1903 sporter. - 10/30/11
That should be a real nice firearm when it's done.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Latest 1903 sporter. - 10/30/11
Looking very nice Sir!
Butch

I like that a lot. The 3x is a good choice.

Are you sure you wouldn't like a recoil pad?
That looks great!
Posted By: Idared Re: Latest 1903 sporter. - 10/31/11
Originally Posted by Craigster
I like it. The stock, tell us more.

Thanks for your kind words.

The stock was turned by Dennis Olson from a Griffin & Howe style pattern as evidenced by the treatment behind the cutoff housing and the general shape of the cheek piece . I decided on a schnable forend and I like the shape that it turned out to be. I have long admired the earlier Griffin & Howe styled stocks so decided to have a similar one done for this rifle. The grip is not as open as the ones on a few other rifles I have but it feels good to me.
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Thank you for your kind words.

I'm not very big on recoil pads and a good share of my rifles have steel buttplates on them. I also wanted this one to have a trapdoor buttplate so I can store a Buehler peep sight that fits on the rear scope base if the scope becomes unusable.
Very nice looking classic rifle, Larry. That wood is beautiful!
Nicely done!
Originally Posted by Idared
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Thank you for your kind words.

I'm not very big on recoil pads and a good share of my rifles have steel buttplates on them. I also wanted this one to have a trapdoor buttplate so I can store a Buehler peep sight that fits on the rear scope base if the scope becomes unusable.

yes, a recoil pad would be a heresy on such a classic. very very nice.
nice looking rifle my old friend pete had a soft spot for springfields. will you checker it ?

Ed
Originally Posted by 1234
nice looking rifle my old friend pete had a soft spot for springfields. will you checker it ?

Ed

Ed

I also miss Pete. I always enjoyed our limited correspondences. He was my kind of man.

Yes, it will be checkered, probably with a Griffin & Howe style pattern.
Great looking Springfield, a point pattern with a mullered border will complete the classic look in my opinion. I recently acquired an M2 Springfield that I would like to sporterize in similar fashion.
© 24hourcampfire