Home
Posted By: Sakoluvr Stockade stocks - 11/28/11
Anybody have any experience dealing with Stockade stocks?

Looking hard at a new stock for my Savage ML, and they will put a 3rd action screw in and do the bedding.

http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/
Posted By: ab_bentley Re: Stockade stocks - 11/28/11
I have, loved it. Very solid and quite cheap price. I'd buy one for a ML. Adam
Posted By: sambo3006 Re: Stockade stocks - 11/28/11
I was also satisfied with mine, would buy another one.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Stockade stocks - 11/28/11
Excellent. Heard good things, but wanted to hear from the campfire crowd. Looking to get the "mule deer" model.
Posted By: Jesse Jaymes Re: Stockade stocks - 11/28/11
Order online. If you wind up calling and talking to Kevin, you'd better clear your calendar for a few days.
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Stockade stocks - 11/28/11
Buddy had one, seemed like a solid stock. I think the wait time is a few months, so might as well get a McMillan...dohhh.
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Stockade stocks - 12/02/11
Was thinking of buying one myself but after talking with Kevin on the phone I decided I'd never give a penny to him or his business.

Self promotion is a good thing but Kevin calling McMillan stocks "junk" and calling Fred Moreo (the leading Savage specific gunsmith in the nation) a hack was too much for me.

The Stockade stocks are not much cheaper than a McMillan if you compare apples to apples. McMillan doesn't sell an unfinished stock and if you have Stockade finish the stock the price gets perilously close to a superior McMillan.

Finally, a full length aluminum bedding block is just a poor attempt to stiffen a stock in lieu of proper design, quality materials and professional construction.

IMO
Posted By: tipmover Re: Stockade stocks - 12/02/11
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Was thinking of buying one myself but after talking with Kevin on the phone I decided I'd never give a penny to him or his business.

Self promotion is a good thing but Kevin calling McMillan stocks "junk" and calling Fred Moreo (the leading Savage specific gunsmith in the nation) a hack was too much for me.

The Stockade stocks are not much cheaper than a McMillan if you compare apples to apples. McMillan doesn't sell an unfinished stock and if you have Stockade finish the stock the price gets perilously close to a superior McMillan.

Finally, a full length aluminum bedding block is just a poor attempt to stiffen a stock in lieu of proper design, quality materials and professional construction.

IMO
So you are saying you don't really have any experience with a Stockade Stock other than your opinion on Kevin? Kevin is a very nice guy and builds nice stocks for the Savages. I have 3 of his stocks and they are well worth the money.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Stockade stocks - 12/03/11
I spoke to Kevin the other day. I decided that the finished price was getting high, and decided to get a Boyds varmint laminate stock. The channel has the same contour as a Savage ML, so with a little work it can be free floated.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/VT-SAVAGE-10BLIND-MAG-BULL-BARREL-CHANNEL-NUTMEG-p/610-404-f.htm

Stockade stocks has a good reputation, but for the price, I can't see how I could top the Boyds, especially after it gets fitted. kevin has a 16 week wait. The Boyds stock is ready to ship. I also considered that the rifle will only be used during a 2 week ML season each year.

I live near Bill Ball, the co-inventor of the Savage ML (with his father), and he is going to put a 3rd pillar in and bed it for me.
Posted By: Aviator Re: Stockade stocks - 12/03/11
I like my stockade sporter !
© 24hourcampfire