Home
OK guys, I'm thinking of putting together a long-range rig(s). 10-12lbs, heavy/fluted bbl, 7WSM M70 and/or 223AI M700, . . . I know more details would help, but I'm really just starting to think about this. I have several McM sporter type stocks (6 or 7 M70's), but know nothing about the Tactical stocks so I have quite a few questions, I'll start with these and go from there -

- Is the A5 still made? It's not listed on McM's website.
- If you've used/handled some of these, what are the differences? Impressions? Just looking at pic's, looks like the A5 has a thicker forearm but kinda rounded, the A4 forearm looks thick and blocky, and the A3/A3-5 looks slimmer but squarish - is this accurate?

I think I would like the integral cheekpiece over the saddle. Also, I think I would like the butt hook ala A5/A4/A3-5, but open to thoughts here as well. Will most likely do a Swirley w/ Olive, Black and Tan - have seen several here and on their site with this combo and it looks pretty sweet.

If anyone has pic's of 'em side by side, that would be much appreciated!

Thanks guys!!!
The A5 is still made. It's listed under Tactical stocks on McM website Check here
I see it now - must've changed the website this morning! It was not there yesterday/early this morning - they only had like 7 or 8 stocks listed there!
The A4 is very close to the A5 and doesnt suffer from that rounded forend crap that the A5 has.
It sits flat on window sill.
And will actually ride a hunter class BR rest set up just like a BR rifle.
Another stock that has it is B&C.
Something to think about when trying to squeese that last .1 out for the best accuracy.

dave
The a5is not great if you are shooting off bags a lot. The hook limits the position of the rear bag. I really like the a3, but if you want the a5 for end, you might consider a manners t2
Hmmm, I was honestly leaning toward the A5 - just don't really like the look of that almost square forearm on the A4.

Can anyone post (or email me) a pic looking down at the forearm of an A5 from the muzzle end?

I think this will mainly be shot from a bipod, but may be shot from a front rest as well.
I have two A-5's and love them both. Shoot from both the bag and with a bipod.

Tony.
i like the A3 myself.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by chris84
[Linked Image]

Thank you very much sir!!! I really appreciate that!

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words . . . or maybe $650 in this case . . . whistle
I've owed all but the A4. A4 is a block. A5 feels bulky in the hands, but is great from a bipod. A3 has a tapered butt and slimmer forend and feels quicker in the hands and great from a bipod for field use. A3-5 has the A3 forend and A5 back end.

If you order a fixed LOP, add 1/4" to your standard fit. Otherwise, the verticle grip will put your thumb a little closer to your nose than you are use to.

If you want an adjustable cheek rest, get the KMW Loggerhead. No protusions and well worth it.

If you go heavier than a Sendero/Rem Varmint contour barrel, you'll have trouble making your target weight.
The thrird one down is an A-3 Sporter in 40%L.tan/30%olive/30%blk. It's nice. The difference is the A-3 sporter has a slimmed fore-stock and a little different butt; the red/white/blue is an original A-3.

[Linked Image]

I never liked the A-5 (too fat). I don't like adj cheeks, particularlly the Adj HTG.

[Linked Image] Just for reference.
Man, I dig the one on top! Nice looking handle!
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2722365/page/1
I've had A-5 and A-3. I prefer the A-3.
I wouldn't change a thing on my A3 with KMW Loggerhead. The wide fore end on the A5 didn't appeal to me and I like the slope on the bottom of the butt for tweaking vertical vs. the flat bottom of the A5. Rem Varmint contour at 24" FWIW.
[Linked Image]
You can get a glimpse of how the KMW fits/works from this pic. The posts have grooves that hold C-clips you set to your preferred height. Loosen the allen head bolt to remove the cheek piece for cleaning or what ever. Slide it back in and tighten moderately. It stays put.[Linked Image]
An A3 and a Remington Varmint Contour go together like peanut butter and jelly!
FVA: I like the stock, a perfect LR field gun. What is the finished weight on that rig?
Grand,
I'm not sure. My postal scale only goes to ten pounds. I'd guess twelve'ish.
Look on 6mmbr.com. THere is an article on rifles built by Chris Mathews owner of Longshot Rifles. He built two "Twin" 7mmWSM's in McMillan HTG stock for longrange hunting. The guy is shooting tiny groups @1K. I think they changed the website to accurateshooter.com? something like that.

My Longshot Rifles 7mmWSM with the A5. I love it, however it is a bit heavy as a walking rifle. I will hunt with it in a tower blind. It will reach out there. The Tan rifle is a GAP .308. My first A-5. DON'T get the saddle cheek peice, it's not good. The Terry Cross Cheek peice on my 7mmWSM Rocks!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Thanks guy! Great info and pic's!

I am/was leaning towards an A5 with an integral cheekpiece, but all the A3 comments has me really thinking hard on it.

As for the integral cheekpieces, what is the make of the one McM installs? How is the quality compared to the Loggerhead mentioned above?
Here's an A5 on Winchester 70 in 50% black, 25% light gray and 25% olive green. I like the low profile of the A5 fore-end and prefer the standard comb.

[Linked Image]
I checked out the KMW Loggerhead cheekpiece - really like that!

Called and spoke with Terry about it and how to order the stock, get the cheekpiece installed, etc. - GREAT guy!!! Very helpful, cost was very fair, good/thorough instruction for getting the stock set-up for it, etc.!

Now to decide on mix, then place my order and get the ball rolling!!!
Buzzsaw what is the mix on the tan stock?
Ram--good post. I've been wondering the exact same thing myself. Seems like the general consensus is...the A3.
I'd rather go A5 myself...
yeah, gonna go A5 myself but all the great posts/info made it hard to choose!
Don't think you'll be sorry.
I just received my A3, and I think I'm going to try an A5 on my next Tac stock.
I have the A2 and various A5's. I personally prefer the ergos of the A5. I havent had any problems shooting off bags, bipods, or mpaj.
Originally Posted by KDK
I just received my A3, and I think I'm going to try an A5 on my next Tac stock.

What do you like better about the A5 vs the A3?
Thanks.
Don't know, never even held one. I wanna give one a try. Who knows, it may be the perfect stock for me, or it may be just another step on the quest for perfection. The A5 has had some pretty stellar reviews here.
I too prefer the A5 for a Heavy long range rig, the ergo's of the stock fits me perfect and the barrel/action sits lower in the stock. These are the last three A5's and the 7 Mag and 6x47L just got completed in the last week or so.

7 Mag
[Linked Image]

6x47Lapua
[Linked Image]

6mmAI
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire