Home
Posted By: nimrod1949 new PTG one piece bolt? - 01/19/12
has anyone tried a PTG one piece bolt for a Rem 700? Is the swap worth it? How much fitting is needed? This would be for a currently bare action so head space would be set when the new barrel is installed.

Looks to be about a push money wise when it comes to bushing the FP hole and fluting the factory bolt vs buying the PTG. Maybe $25 more for the PTG after selling the factory bolt. But that is not including any $ for unknown fitting.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: new PTG one piece bolt? - 01/19/12
Originally Posted by nimrod1949
has anyone tried a PTG one piece bolt for a Rem 700? Is the swap worth it? How much fitting is needed? This would be for a currently bare action so head space would be set when the new barrel is installed.

Looks to be about a push money wise when it comes to bushing the FP hole and fluting the factory bolt vs buying the PTG. Maybe $25 more for the PTG after selling the factory bolt. But that is not including any $ for unknown fitting.

The extra benefit is the integral handle, the other is bolt to raceway tolerances of your choice...to me it would be worth it!
Posted By: darrenk75b Re: new PTG one piece bolt? - 01/19/12
It does become an economical solution very quickly. While I haven't had one of their one-piece bolts in a Remmy, I have in a Stiller action. Good stuff.

I've had a Remmy action with a PTG bolt, but that was before the one-piece designs started being made. Even then, it was an excellent improvement, and one of the smoothest Remmy actions I've had.
Pondering the same thing and I like this bolt. Can I sell my bolt without transferring it thru an FFL? I have been thinking of selling a bolt and then buying one of these for a build.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: new PTG one piece bolt? - 01/19/12
I have a 700 short action with a standard (.308 family) bolt face. If I switch the mag box, follower, and then pick up a PTG with a .223 family bolt face......will this convert the action from .308 to .223 or are there other differences in the action I'm missing?

Thanks,

JCM
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: new PTG one piece bolt? - 01/19/12
Feed rails are different...but it would work for a single shot!
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: new PTG one piece bolt? - 01/19/12
That makes it a no go. Thanks for letting me know,

JCM
Posted By: Slipstream Re: new PTG one piece bolt? - 01/19/12
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Pondering the same thing and I like this bolt. Can I sell my bolt without transferring it thru an FFL? I have been thinking of selling a bolt and then buying one of these for a build.

The reciever requires the FFL, not the bolt...
Posted By: US_Patriot Re: new PTG one piece bolt? - 01/19/12

I have a Tubb bolt. It's fully loaded with all the good stuff. Check out the 12 point list of features and the videos:

http://www.davidtubb.com/custom-bolt-right-hand-sa-std-bolt-face

Posted By: nimrod1949 Re: new PTG one piece bolt? - 01/20/12
thanks!
i read somewhere that Tubb bolts are PTG smile
Posted By: US_Patriot Re: new PTG one piece bolt? - 01/20/12

I think alot of the Tubb parts are contracted to PTG for production runs of machined parts.

I've bought parts from both Tubb and PTG. Lots of good stuff..

Posted By: Hondo64d Re: new PTG one piece bolt? - 01/20/12
If I were going to have a 700 trued again, I would go with a PT&G bolt rather than have the existing one sleeved, and fluted. That being said, if you do go with a PT&G bolt and all the other truing processes, you are getting mighty close (if you include the cost of the 700 action) to the cost of a full custom. After I did the math, I ended up flipping my stainless 700 and going with a Stiller Predator...

John
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: new PTG one piece bolt? - 01/20/12
+1... And I think there is a 4 month wait on the 1 pc bolts so plan ahead!
Posted By: MTGunner Re: new PTG one piece bolt? - 01/20/12
I purchased a PT&G bolt for my XP-100R. I ordered their Sako extractor kit and plunger ass'y. I had Dennis Olson, Plains, MT, install both. He head spaced both bbls., it's a switch barrel XP-100R. I am very impressed with the quality and fit. MTG
Posted By: gene270 Re: new PTG one piece bolt? - 01/20/12
I think i would save that bolt money and remington action money and buy a custom action for about the same money

gene
Posted By: nimrod1949 Re: new PTG one piece bolt? - 01/21/12
I'm into the action so cheap after selling off the parts it isn't apples to apples for a switch to a custom for me...
One day maybe

the main driver for me looking at the PTG is the firing pin hole vs ~$75 for bushing the factory bolt. i'm not a fan of the primer flow on my factory 700 with even with factory loads.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: new PTG one piece bolt? - 01/21/12
I'm into the action so cheap after selling off the parts it isn't apples to apples for a switch to a custom for me...
One day maybe

the main driver for me looking at the PTG is the firing pin hole vs ~$75 for bushing the factory bolt. i'm not a fan of the primer flow on my factory 700 with even with factory loads.

The .062 FP is a big + with a new bolt, and I think the PTG is a great option for someone that already has an action and is not looking to spend the extra $$ for a custom!
Posted By: US_Patriot Re: new PTG one piece bolt? - 01/21/12

Here is some custom action pricing:

Stiller Predator..........$950.00
BAT VR Repeater......$1125.00
Surgeon 591............$1295.00

Here is a build your own custom action list:

Your you own it in-hand 700 receiver.............$0.
Tubb 1pc. loaded bolt..............................$369.00
Tubb Lug...............................................$ 25.00
Kampfeld installed Side Bolt Release............$100.00
Gunsmith trues receiver threads & Lugs.......$200.00
Misc. shipping..........................................$ 60.00
Total.....................................................$754.00

If your on a tight budget and already own a doner receiver, a do it yourself custom action can be more affordable.

Posted By: Hondo64d Re: new PTG one piece bolt? - 01/21/12
Flip the 700 for $300 to $350 and you're well into custom action territory.

John
Posted By: US_Patriot Re: new PTG one piece bolt? - 01/21/12
One day maybe
Posted By: nimrod1949 Re: new PTG one piece bolt? - 01/27/12
I was all excited and getting ready to pull the trigger on a new bolt but when I called them they said they're CM and not SS. Bummer

In the end the product would have been better, I'm sure, but the total price was going to be +$120 after selling the factory bolt for ~$175ish and then it would need coated and assembled (which I might could do myself).

I'll make some calls on cost of cerakoting a bolt and give it some thought.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: new PTG one piece bolt? - 01/27/12
Most bolts are CM I only know of one maker that uses SS to make 1 pc bolts, Stainless on stainless is not a great combination as galling can happen, really is no downside to a CM bolt!

If you want SS here ya go!
http://www.competitiveedgegunworks.com/Floated_Action.html
Posted By: Mntngoat Re: new PTG one piece bolt? - 01/27/12
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

John

shall we look at resale value of a reworked factory action compared to a custom action?

ML
Posted By: Mntngoat Re: new PTG one piece bolt? - 01/27/12
Originally Posted by gene270
I think i would save that bolt money and remington action money and buy a custom action for about the same money

gene

the only downside to a remington Vs' a custom action is after spending all that money reworking it... it is still a remington!

ML
Posted By: nimrod1949 Re: new PTG one piece bolt? - 01/28/12
not planning on spending much on truing the action...

mainly just weighing the ~$100 on firing pin bushing vs an aftermarket bolt. it's the little things that are adding up sick
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: new PTG one piece bolt? - 01/28/12

I was all excited and getting ready to pull the trigger on a new bolt but when I called them they said they're CM and not SS. Bummer

In the end the product would have been better, I'm sure, but the total price was going to be +$120 after selling the factory bolt for ~$175ish and then it would need coated and assembled (which I might could do myself).

I'll make some calls on cost of cerakoting a bolt and give it some thought.

Cerakoting the bolt will make it sticky and never be nice and slick.

I have been using the Dyna Tek Gun Shield for a year now on my personal guns and all customer guns and can say it is the best way I have found to protect a CM bolt and keep the action slicker than snot.

I recommend oven curing but it would be very easy to do in a standard kitchen over.

Rick Bin sells this stuff here on 24hr and the bore coating gets most of the attention but I really like the Gun Shield.

In a lot of applications it simply blows Cerakote away and you guys can do it in comfort of your own home. This stuff will work on springs, extractors, ejectors, cocking pieces, cocking cams, extraction cams, scope ring screws, base screws ect.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: new PTG one piece bolt? - 01/28/12
Good info ...I have a few bolts that I would like to coat, is the product just wiped on like a rust prevenative?
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: new PTG one piece bolt? - 01/28/12
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Good info ...I have a few bolts that I would like to coat, is the product just wiped on like a rust prevenative?

Degrease and apply with a QTip.

It will run and follow threads or springs. 2 or 3 coats and 350 degrees for an hour.

It is the real deal.

If you are careful to keep an even coat it will go right over bluing and give Cerakote level saltwater spray protection.
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: new PTG one piece bolt? - 01/28/12
Originally Posted by Mntngoat
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

John

shall we look at resale value of a reworked factory action compared to a custom action?

ML

That's kinda what I was getting at. Apparently he got into the 700 for really cheap. If that's the case, he could flip it for $300 to $350, actually making a little profit and put that toward a custom. If you count all the bells and whistles, including the PT&G bolt, he would have done to the 700, he could be into a custom for nearly the same money.

John
© 24hourcampfire