Home
Been thinking about buying one of the Remington 700 SPS Tactical 223 with the 1 in 9 twist and having it AI'd. I thought this would be an easy way to get into the AI fast twist game. I'm not crazy about the Hogue stock, but I can always swap it out with something later. I want to try the 69 and 70gr sleek bullets. Anybody have any experience with this Remington factory rifle? Remington Stock # 80426.

[Linked Image]
I pick mine up Monday and its going straight to the smith to get AI'd. I have a McMillan Game Scout ordered and a have a 4.5-14x40 with M1 knobs waiting in 30mm Talley lows.
You shouldn't have any problem with those bullet weights. I plan to try some Hornady 75 gr AMAX's, also. Some 9 twist guns will shoot the 75's, some wont...
Will a '9 twist shoot the 77gr Noslers or the 70 and 75gr Berger VLDs?
I'm not sure, Brad Arnett maybe could tell us. I've heard guys say that the 77's wouldn't shoot, but the 75 AMAX's would.
I have a Rem 7 with a Shilen 24" barrel in .223AI with a 1 in 9 twist. It shoots 40 to 70 grain bullets very very accurately but the groups at 100 yards with the 75 grain Amax open up to 5 to 6 inches. I have not shot it at longer ranges with that bullet.
May or may not shoot the 75amax mine did good with the 70gr bergers.

I see where Nosler is making a 60gr Ballistic Tip. I realize that it's not on the same level as the Berger VLDs and maybe the AMax, but has anybody tried them?
i use a lot of 60 gr NBTs. they shoot great, but i have not used them on anything bigger than woodchucks
The 75 gr AMAX's are on clearance at Midway now for $16.12.
That looks like a mean machine and the Amax would be numero uno if that didn't shoot I'd prolly try the 70gr Berger or 75gr bthp from horn.

Keep us posted on what you do.
Will do Brett. I hope to have it together in final form by April, but I'll have it shooting by March minus the stock.
I'd like to fondle that stock. I just got my classic in a week or so ago and love it. I think I'd really like the grip on the game scout.

What percentage did you go with?
[Linked Image]
Here's a pic of my 700 SPS. I shoot 68gr. hornady's over TAC and get excellent accuracy. You should have no problem shooting 70's, but I never tried anything heavier.
Originally Posted by Jamison
I'm not sure, Brad Arnett maybe could tell us. I've heard guys say that the 77's wouldn't shoot, but the 75 AMAX's would.

I've not shot the 77gr noslers, nor the .224" VLD's, though I do love the 6mm 105VLD. I really only run about 3 main .224" bullets. The 50Vmax, the 62TSX, and 75Amax.
Originally Posted by MoranoGrande
Been thinking about buying one of the Remington 700 SPS Tactical 223 with the 1 in 9 twist and having it AI'd. I thought this would be an easy way to get into the AI fast twist game. I'm not crazy about the Hogue stock, but I can always swap it out with something later. I want to try the 69 and 70gr sleek bullets. Anybody have any experience with this Remington factory rifle? Remington Stock # 80426.

[Linked Image]

I had one of those rigs..

#1 - Swap out the stock.
#2 - Mine shot 70 gr. VLD's very nicely with a stiff load of TAC.
#3 - Swap out the stock.
#4 - If it has the new X-mark trigger, [bleep] that as well.
To stabilize 75 - 80gr slugs go to a 1:7 twist for a .223
A 22-250 can do with a 1:8
A 22x57 will do with a 1:9
At the local shop this morning and I had one in my hands but left it there. I have my AR's with 9 twist and T3 with 8 twist. Yes ! The Hogue stock can go without a doubt.

Ken
Originally Posted by John_Boy

223 will spin 75 Amax with an 8, and some are doing it with a 9. Depends where you're at.
Originally Posted by Brett_McMurray
I'd like to fondle that stock. I just got my classic in a week or so ago and love it. I think I'd really like the grip on the game scout.

What percentage did you go with?

60% White
25% Medium Grey
15% Black
Originally Posted by John_Boy

That's just wrong....all I know to say. Not tryin to call you out but would hate for others to be given wrong info. 1-9" is on the bubble with 75's...some will some won't. A 8 will.
If you're going to walk on the bubble I believe the faster you send them the slower you can spin them.....1/8 works for me. I'm not one to be leaning heavy on the powder and I just don't care to play with the bullet timer as often as I should...so other's results may vary.
Yep I'll stay with 8's
Originally Posted by Jamison
60% White
25% Medium Grey
15% Black

I was giving serious thought yesterday (OK, day dreaming) about the perfect colors and ratio mix for a winter calling rifle, and ironically those were exactly it. I'm anxious to see what it looks like.........I'm sure you are too. grin
BTW, I bought the rifle in question and had it Ackley'd. I've got a pile of Amaxes, but haven't tried 'em yet. It's a 1/2" rifle with the cheap bullets and AA2230C I've been using so far. I dropped it into a B&C Tactical stock and dabbed the lug. The Stretch Armstrong stock it came with didn't inspire much confidence.
I've had 1-9" LTR barrels that wouldn't stabilize the 75 amax, that did quite nicly with 75 berger VLD's.
I haven't tried the AMax, but my LTR shoots the 75 Berger VLD into little groups.
Originally Posted by MoranoGrande
Will a '9 twist shoot the 77gr Noslers or the 70 and 75gr Berger VLDs?

NOPE! Gotta be 1 in 8. You'll get ur feelings hurt with a 1in 9
9 twists if true, can stablize up to some of the 80 grain bullets.

It will take max loads to get max speed, but it can easily be done.

A shooting partner of my wifes, rebarreled all his ARs in 9 twist, generally Obermeyer if he had them, and shot 80 bergers exclusively on the 600 yard line...

The only real way to know is buy and try.

The 9 should stabilize ANY 70 grain bullet that I'm aware of being made, with the possible exception of the 70 tsx due to length...
I have a 700 XCR compact tactical. Basically Remake of the LTR and it stabilizes 75Amax just fine.
I have a a take-off barrel from an SPS Tactical chambered in .223 AI on one of my rifles. It is cut to 20" and is the 1:9" twist.
Its shoots 75gr Amax, and the 70gr Berger very well.
© 24hourcampfire