Home
I'm going to have a Remington 700 short action rebarreled and need to purchase a take-off barrel. I want it to be a fairly light and handy Sporter/Mountain rifle for pigs and deer. Will probably be a .260, 7mm-08, or .308. Is the Model 7 barrel worth considering? I don't want anything shorter than 20". Please share your experiences (balance, appearance, accuracy) and pictures.

This is also posted under Hunting Rifles.

Thanks,
Rich
I used a couple of M7 barrels on 700s (and 600s). They all have the same threads.

The latest one I did was put a 20" M7 223 barrel on a 700SA and dropped it into a 700Ti takeoff stock. It balances slightly behind the main (forward) action screw. I like them to balance either on or just forward of that screw. The Ti stock is light too. If I had used wood or some other, heavier stock the balance would be worse. As it is now, it works just fine.

[Linked Image]

RH
Fanuke,

Balance is fairly subjective. What is right for one person, may be fairly wrong for someone else. The only thing that matters is what is right for YOU !

For myself, since I carry my rifles far more than I shoot them, I like tham fairly light. smile

Seems I read once that Remington has stanardized contours. The original M-600, M-Seven, and Mtn rifle share the same contour (Or darn close, at least...) The M-600 Mohawk, M-660 and standard M-700 share the same. And then there is the Magnum contour. I'm sure there are exceptions, but that's close.

A few years ago, I purchased a M-Seven in .300 RSAUM, pulled the barrel and replaced with a M-700 bbl in 7mm RSAUM. I carried it opening day of deer season, shot a nice buck, and have not fired it since. smile I'm thinking of putting in back to .300 Saum... smile

GH

I have a 23" 7-08 Rem 700 takeoff. $125.00TYD
© 24hourcampfire