Home
I am buying a Ruger African 9.3x62
I want to do some modifications to the stock
One is just a simple ebony tip
the second is a question
Should I put cross bolts in the stock as have heard of splitting issues?
any advice on who can do the work? i can ship the gun
I have a Ruger Hawkeye African, in 375 Ruger. It proved to be very accurate with TSX handloads before the stock split.
IMO, no matter how much you reinforce this stock, it will fail under repeated use. It looks cool, but just not enough meat to withstand heavy recoil.

I now have on order both a Hogue Alaskan and a Mcmillan stock. Whichever one shoots best, and holds up, gets to stay. I really like the cartridge and action. It"s a real shame Ruger dropped the ball on stock design. It"s not just me- reports of cracked Hawkeye stocks are all over.
Contact "Karnis" here on the 'fire.

He is da' man.

Travis
This was a factory stock from a tang safety Ruger:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

He reshaped it, added the ebony tip, crossbolts, refinished, added the red pad. You get the idea...

Travis
Another +1 on Karnis...
Originally Posted by Bighorn
I have a Ruger Hawkeye African, in 375 Ruger. It proved to be very accurate with TSX handloads before the stock split.
IMO, no matter how much you reinforce this stock, it will fail under repeated use. It looks cool, but just not enough meat to withstand heavy recoil.

I now have on order both a Hogue Alaskan and a Mcmillan stock. Whichever one shoots best, and holds up, gets to stay. I really like the cartridge and action. It"s a real shame Ruger dropped the ball on stock design. It"s not just me- reports of cracked Hawkeye stocks are all over.

That blows. Was it glass bedded?

Travis
Originally Posted by ingwe
Another +1 on Karnis...

me too...but....

careful....he could get a swelled cranium.... grin
This is not the first account I've read concerning the Hawkeye stock with big boomers. Looks like Ruger could glass bed the recoil lug and make sure there's some space behind the tang. How hard would that be? Seems to me that would save them a lot of money and promote customer satisfaction.

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
This is not the first account I've read concerning the Hawkeye stock with big boomers. Looks like Ruger could glass bed the recoil lug and make sure there's some space behind the tang. How hard would that be? Seems to me that would save them a lot of money and promote customer satisfaction.

DF

Did yours crack?

Travis
Originally Posted by deflave

DF

Did yours crack?

Travis

I don't have one and probably won't. I've read of more than one account of this happening. Where there's smoke, there may be a fire...

Just saying...

DF
Bed it properly and relieve the wood behind the tang and it should run fine. I believe the Ruger comes with crossbolt(s) installed. I would remove it and acraglass it back in to ensure full contact of the bolt with the wood.
Originally Posted by Tony
Bed it properly and relieve the wood behind the tang and it should run fine. I believe the Ruger comes with crossbolt(s) installed. I would remove it and acraglass it back in to ensure full contact of the bolt with the wood.

+1
Easy problem to solve. Buy an accubedded Savage in 9.3x62. Cheaper, better trigger, removable magazine, excellent "irons" and you'll never have to worry about Weather or losing it. (ungulates are color blind)

I had my tang safe 77 35 Whelen crossbolted and the recoil lug glass bedded as highly figured stocks, especially American Walnut are more fragile.

Savage and Ruger (pre crossbolt)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Just waitin till June....... eh Bricktop ?

You still underground, hiding out...:o

DF
Did you guys ever see a photo of Finn Aagard's old P-64 Model 70 375 H&H? They were notorious for splitting stocks also. His had some homemade crossbolts and epoxy to fix it. It isn't just a Ruger issue.

I wonder how many gun loony's actually torque the Model 77 action screws back to Ruger factory specs after they have had the action out of the stock and then have the cracking happen. I had to borrow a torque wrench from my brother to get to 92 inch pounds as I only had the one that would go to a max of 65 inch pounds or one that started at 10 foot pounds and went up.

I think Travis's rifle looks nice and the poster George De Vries 3rd had similar upgrades done on his African. Mine is in a Ruger factory synthetic stock currently while I upgrade some things on my stock.

Can you use the McMillan standard fill on a rifle like a .375 Ruger or is magnum fill required? I would think that the 9.3mm would be fine in a standard fill McMillan stock.
Wow, Phasmid, 92 inch pounds is TIGHT! Is that a Ruger recommendation? I thought 65 inch pounds in a non skim bedded HS Precision was pretty tight.

With that much torque, you'd need socket screws, as it would be pretty hard to not mess up slotted screws with that much power behind the wrench.

DF
Apologies to the OP for dirtyfarmer pirating your thread, but lies need to be answered where ever they appear.

Nope, dirtyfarmer, been right here in Key West where I have since late December.
Hardly "hiding out" since your "boy" Bricky published all my addresses and phone numbers right here on the site.

In June I'll be back in WY, Bricky will not show up and will be outed on every site all our members belong to.

Trolls, like you, will look like fools for backing a serial liar and even buying into his fake "road trip".

It will be EPIC !
Dirtfarmer,

Definitely "farmer tight"! That is what I thought too. I watched the re-assembly video posted here a while back to refresh my memory when I reinstalled my modified wing safety. http://www.ruger.com/resources/videos.html and heard "95 inch pounds or 7.9 foot pounds" that must be a mistake and/or is only for their synthetic stock. I called Ruger and talked to a tech and he said it is also recommended for the wood stocked rifles. I note that most Remington and Winchester bolt action have always had crossbolts or more accurately cross pins (threaded brass rod on the old wood 700 adl) stocks on their stocks: at least on the web between the trigger and magazine well. I think Ruger's system must work if it is torqued to spec and there is enough releif behind the tang. Bill Ruger was pretty adept at designing firearms.
Originally Posted by interthem
Apologies to the OP for dirtyfarmer pirating your thread, but lies need to be answered where ever they appear.

Nope, dirtyfarmer, been right here in Key West where I have since late December.
Hardly "hiding out" since your "boy" Bricky published all my addresses and phone numbers right here on the site.

In June I'll be back in WY, Bricky will not show up and will be outed on every site all our members belong to.

Trolls, like you, will look like fools for backing a serial liar and even buying into his fake "road trip".

It will be EPIC !

Thread pirating is your game, not mine.

DF
deflave thanks for photos and pointing me to Karnis
That is what I am looking for both form and function rolled into one
I will press on with African
Now whether to go high gloss or matte on metal finish?
Push forward good sir...

Mine was a rebore that was already matte, so it stayed matte.

Sactoller has one that Karnis did for him as well. It's not near as pretty as mine of course, but it looks pretty slick.

Travis
My Brno stock is currently with Karnis also. Everything I have seen of his work is outstanding. I myself am trying to decide on whether to go with a caustic blue or spring for the extra $175 for the rust blue.

Can we ban that ugly ass orange Savage from ever being posted again?

Sactoller has one that Karnis did for him as well. It's not near as pretty as mine of course, but it looks pretty slick.

Travis

WWWWhhhhhhaaaaatttttt?

Oh, no you didn't?

wink
Look at yours man! It's all white! Mine is better. I think it's bigger too.

Travis

Travis

Everyone knows that the darker ones are bigger than the white ones!
Oh, no you didn't?

Here is a photo of Carlos' first incarnation of the stock...he has just finished some upgrades...will post pix later today!
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by pacecars

Travis

Everyone knows that the darker ones are bigger than the white ones!

Meat gazer...

Travis
Originally Posted by sactoller
Oh, no you didn't?

Here is a photo of Carlos' first incarnation of the stock...he has just finished some upgrades...will post pix later today!
[Linked Image]

Oh yeah, Mr. One Upper?

Boo-Yah!
[Linked Image]

Travis
Schit... It's upside down.

Oh well, you get the idea.

Travis

[Linked Image]

Looks like someone beat on the side of the action with a ball-peen hammer.
Originally Posted by doubletap

[Linked Image]

Looks like someone beat on the side of the action with a ball-peen hammer.

Travis is dyslexic and put in a 2.6x93 instead of a 9.3x62 and tried to beat it closed.

Can you say meat and beat in the same thread?
I treat objects like women.

No apologies.

Travis
How did my picture fix itself?

Travis
Here's a couple that Carlos did for me. A 9.3x62 FN on top and a BRNO 602 375 H&H on the bottom.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here are some pics of the "upgrade". The first go around you never let me finish it properly whining that you wanted it back, now it looks mo betta.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Karnis,

Can you please explain to these guys that my rifle received the most love, and is your favorite? Thanks.

Travis
Karnis,

Can you please explain to these guys that my rifle received the most love, and is your favorite? Thanks.

Travis

I don't think so
Nice rifles guys wink

Gunner
Anyone can see who pirated the thread "off topic" first.

Dude! You are one giant sphincter monkey

Indeed we can Larry and it was clearly you by posting your orange Savage which is entirely unhelpful and unrelated to the OP's questions.

Par for the course.
Uh Kenny, aka, dolt, the Savage is a 9.3x62 and the 35 Whelen is now crossbolted...... DUH

here's your NEW avatar.

[Linked Image]
Just waitin till June....... eh Bricktop ?

You still underground, hiding out...:o

DF

Nastyquim, splain to us what this post had to do with 9.3x62s or crossbolting.

Dumber than dirt !
........Giggle........
You are a [bleep] troll POS and you dress funny!

[Linked Image]

How is this for off-topic?

That picture of Larry cracks me up every time!

.........giggle........
Originally Posted by nsaqam
That picture of Larry cracks me up every time!

.........giggle........

Wonder if those outfits are available in camo...?

That would work better on a guns and hunting forum.

DF
Wow, just wow..........
thats visual abuse and assualt and battery to my eyes.
Karnis

What do you do to dress up those dogleg bolt handles on Ruger Rifles, if anything. Pics?
Haven't done any mods on the handles.
Maybe Larry can get that outfit in orange camo to match his Savage
This "guy" knows no shame.

Just can't shame a shameless dolt. He keeps on coming back with an unbridled ego and arrogance not becoming to this forum and it's contributors.

Shameful.

DF
You guys need to reserve troll battles for the Hunter's Campfire. This thread is about who has the best looking rifle (me obviously). Nothing else.

Travis
You guys need to reserve troll battles for the Hunter's Campfire. This thread is about who has the best looking rifle (me obviously). Nothing else.

Travis

PPPPPPFFFFFFFTTTTTTT!
She enjoyed some nice Montana weather yesterday, and retained her beauty...
[Linked Image]

Travis
I hate you! It was in the 90s here yesterday!
I need to find something to slay with the Prvi RN this weekend...

Travis
Just ordered a few boxes of those myself from Grafs
The group with the Hornady's in my rifle. Thank God.

Do you have dies yet?

Travis
Not yet. Which are the best?
Not RCBS.... grin

Travis
Which ones did you end up with? Got the barreled action back today! Dang he is fast!
I got RCBS. They don't have the right shoulder angle. Go with Redding, I e-mailed them and verified their dies match what you and I now have.

Now go buy me a beer.

Travis
Thanks! I will gladly buy you a beer. Maybe we need a 9.3x62 get together like the Savage guys do
Savage? Didn't they used to make rifles?

We should make our club more exclusive. How about you have to own a 9.3 caliber rifle, have at least one good STD story, and have a drinking problem? That would be fun.

Travis

Travis

Probably right, Travis. There is too much "other stuff" floating around on the Fire.

IMHO, the incentive to out some posters is to protect the integrity of the Fire, so readers will know who to respect and listen to and who to take with a grain of salt.

This concept goes way too far in many cases. Other forums are more highly regulated and this kinda stuff gets nipped in the bud by moderators. Here, it seems anything goes, resulting in some members trying to make things right, too often causing a "free for all", which makes sorting it out all the more difficult.

Newcomers to the Fire are undoubtedly confused by all this messiness until they get a feel for the contributors and make up their own minds concerning legitimate sources of information.

DF
Sorry Travis,

Another photo, after Carlos, reworked mucho prettier than yours...and no weak-ass shillalah! wink

[Linked Image]
...... legitimate sources of information.

DF

We have those here???? shocked

Travis

Probably right, Travis. There is too much "other stuff" floating around on the Fire.

IMHO, the incentive to out some posters is to protect the integrity of the Fire, so readers will know who to respect and listen to and who to take with a grain of salt.

This concept goes way too far in many cases. Other forums are more highly regulated and this kinda stuff gets nipped in the bud by moderators. Here, it seems anything goes, resulting in some members trying to make things right, too often causing a "free for all", which makes sorting it out all the more difficult.

Newcomers to the Fire are undoubtedly confused by all this messiness until they get a feel for the contributors and make up their own minds concerning legitimate sources of information.

DF

We don't need to be reminded who the dumbphucks are every single thread. And new guys will short out the dipschits from the azzholes quick enough.

Let's make a concerted effort to save the drama for the women's group topside.

Travis
Sorry Travis,

Another photo, after Carlos, reworked mucho prettier than yours...and no weak-ass shillalah! wink

[Linked Image]

Nikon makes scopes?

Travis
Originally Posted by ingwe
...... legitimate sources of information.

DF

We have those here???? shocked

Yes. You and shrapnel.

I couldn't 9.3 any gophers today. That upsets me, Poo-Bah.

Travis

I couldn't 9.3 any gophers today.

Travis

We've heard that about your shooting!

grin

Travis

DF

We don't need to be reminded who the dumbphucks are every single thread. And new guys will short out the dipschits from the azzholes quick enough.

Let's make a concerted effort to save the drama for the women's group topside.

Travis

Good point, well taken...

DF

I couldn't 9.3 any gophers today.

Travis

We've heard that about your shooting!

grin

I beg your pardon, sir? grin

Travis
Thank you sir.