Home
Posted By: remdriver McGowan barrels - 04/06/12
Any opinions on McGowen barrels?
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: McGowan barrels - 04/07/12
Iv'e heard more bad than good...proceed with caution!
Posted By: ab_bentley Re: McGowan barrels - 04/07/12
You get what you pay for. Holds true now just as always. Adam
Posted By: 10at6 Re: McGowan barrels - 04/08/12
The one I had was junk
Posted By: safariman Re: McGowan barrels - 04/08/12
They were considered good barrels back when a 2 inch group was normal, now there are MUCH better options out there. I would not waste the time and money of a barrel swap or build on a mcGowan barrel.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: McGowan barrels - 04/08/12
Originally Posted by remdriver

Yup...junk. I'd take a Douglas over one and they suck too
Posted By: DMc Re: McGowan barrels - 04/08/12
Lilja, Shilen, Shaw, Hart, Krieger, Bartlein Barrels? Don't condemn a barrel maker without a recommendation???
Posted By: safariman Re: McGowan barrels - 04/08/12
OK, Lilja and PacNor or tow of my favorites. I DO have a McGowan and it shoots great..... now that it has been re bored to a larger caliber by someone else smile
Posted By: 10at6 Re: McGowan barrels - 04/08/12
Originally Posted by safariman
OK, Lilja and PacNor or tow of my favorites. I DO have a McGowan and it shoots great..... now that it has been re bored to a larger caliber by someone else smile

May I ask who did the re-bore? May go the same route with my junk McGowan
Thanks
Posted By: VernAK Re: McGowan barrels - 04/08/12
Had two of em....one good and one terrible.
Posted By: 280Ackleyrized Re: McGowan barrels - 04/08/12
Hey.....you forgot Brux. Take one of their tubes over any mentioned here so far.
Posted By: rockchuck828 Re: McGowan barrels - 04/08/12
The only McGowan barrel I owned was horrible and that was several years ago. I heard that they moved out west and got some new equipment and their QC is much better now, dont know anyone that has bought one since the change.
Think I'll stick with Krieger,Broughton,Hart,Shilen and will be trying my first Bartlein soon.
I think I would try another McGowan before I bought another Pac-Nor though.
Posted By: remdriver Re: McGowan barrels - 04/09/12
Thanks for all of the replies. I think I will pass on McGowan and go with another Krieger.
Posted By: safariman Re: McGowan barrels - 04/09/12
Originally Posted by 10at6
Originally Posted by safariman

May I ask who did the re-bore? May go the same route with my junk McGowan
Thanks

the Late Dick Nickel. He did good work, but so do some others now.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: McGowan barrels - 04/09/12
When I was a teenager, 45 or so years ago, I sporterized a Springfield, using a French Walnut Herter stock. I glassed bedded it, skip a line checkered it, even had some rosewood diamond inlays. I sent the Springfield to Harry McGowan and he fitted a med heavy SS sporter in .270. I still have that old gun, although I don't use it. It shot pretty well.

Before Ingwe finds out I did have a .270, my only defense: it was a long time ago and I was very young... laugh

And it's my only one and I kept it for sentimental reasons...!

DF
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: McGowan barrels - 04/09/12
Son-in-Law bought a prep-fit Savage 7 Mag. from them a couple years ago. Took a couple tries to get the profile he ordered, but it shoots great and doesn't foul bad. I've seen a lot of pro and con so with my luck I'd look elsewhere.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: McGowan barrels - 04/09/12
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
When I was a teenager, 45 or so years ago, I sporterized a Springfield, using a French Walnut Herter stock. I glassed bedded it, skip a line checkered it, even had some rosewood diamond inlays. I sent the Springfield to Harry McGowan and he fitted a med heavy SS sporter in .270. I still have that old gun, although I don't use it. It shot pretty well.

Before Ingwe finds out I did have a .270, my only defense: it was a long time ago and I was very young... laugh

DF

PM sent to Ingwe... smile
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: McGowan barrels - 04/09/12
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

DF

Did you include the part about a long time ago and being very young...?

DF
Posted By: AlaskanMatt Re: McGowan barrels - 04/09/12
My 35 Whelen is getting a McGowan - I'll let ya'll know how she runs.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: McGowan barrels - 04/09/12
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

DF

Did you include the part about a long time ago and being very young...?

DF

oops!
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: McGowan barrels - 04/12/12
Originally Posted by remdriver

You just saved me $340 - thanks!
Posted By: Karnis Re: McGowan barrels - 04/12/12
1. It's McGowen
2. Harry passed away sometime back. He did a couple of barrels for me and they've shot very well.
3. I would look elsewhere for a toob.

wink
Posted By: SEdge Re: McGowan barrels - 04/12/12
Can't figure it out. Every one is looking for a NULA all the while bad mouthing Douglass Barrels
Posted By: keith Re: McGowan barrels - 04/13/12
From what I have heard, the new guy does a lot better job than Harry did.
Posted By: Karnis Re: McGowan barrels - 04/13/12
and from what I hear they balk at fixing mistakes. Harry would look at anything again and fix it with no additional charge.

In any event, not a big deal but I'd look elsewhere. IMHO.
© 24hourcampfire