Home
I'm going to need a set soon, and I've never had to look for them before. Any leads? Do I have to get them custom made, or does RCBS/Redding offer them as a standard product? Should I just post a WTB ad on the classifieds?

Any help would be great.
Can't imagine Redding doesn't make them. Check Sinclair Intl for em

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/17...ester-ackley-improved-40-degree-shoulder

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/26...ester-ackley-improved-40-degree-shoulder

I just checked Midway and they have several sets including Redding and RCBS.

243 AI Dies
Beat me to it.
Do yourself a favor and get the 3 die set too.
I haven't bought any custom dies in several years, because I already have a backlog of wildcats that I haven't had time to work with properly. But Fred Huntington has always been very good to me. Down load his catalogue for a complete list of what's possible.

This guy always has good prices.

http://www.brunoshooters.com/Mercha...mp;Store_Code=BSS&Product_Code=84420

sinclairintl.com

Good prices and they ship to Canada. This is where I get most of my dies Jordan.
Thanks, fellas.
Punching out the Montana? That'd be one heck of a rig. Thought about doing that with a MT 25/06, but the 243 is better! laugh
A real cheap way to size the .243AI is to buy the regular .243W Lee Collet Die.
Add that into your mix of FL dies and you might find yourself reaching for the LCD more than any other.

Just a thunk.
Originally Posted by Tanner
Punching out the Montana? That'd be one heck of a rig. Thought about doing that with a MT 25/06, but the 243 is better! laugh

Yessir laugh

It should send the 80gr TTSX and 105gr A-Max out the spout at warp 9! grin
Originally Posted by nsaqam
A real cheap way to size the .243AI is to buy the regular .243W Lee Collet Die.
Add that into your mix of FL dies and you might find yourself reaching for the LCD more than any other.

Just a thunk.

Thanks, Ken. I'll have to look into that option. Seems pretty straight forward and affordable, which just seems wrong when dealing with AI cartridges wink
And no damn lube either!
Originally Posted by nsaqam
And no damn lube either!

That's what she said....

Seriously though... I use the parent LCDs all the time on AI cartridges.... I never even had a set of dies for the .280AI, I just used 7mm Rem. Collet Dies and that rifle shot like a champ. Love the LCDs!
The LCD I use on the 243 is sweet... No lube, no messing around with anything like that. Just run the ram and get back to priming and charging!

I've got a whole bunch of 87 VMAXES. Let me know if you wanna' try some, I'll send some out there.
I use the LCD's a ton, simply because they work so damn well.
I really don't know if it makes a difference but I always run my case into the LCD once and then spin it 1/3rd of a turn and run it again. Makes no sense to spin it a 1/4 turn or a 1/2 turn since the LCD has four fingers and what I'm trying to achieve is to eliminate the small gaps between fingers.
Another thing I like about the LCD's is that, unlike bushing type neck sizers, the LCD establishes the size of the neck and therefore the neck tension from the inside of the neck making neck wall thickness variations irrelevant.
With bushing type dies, neck wall thickness variations are translated into differing neck tension.
One thing I have been noticing lately is that when I use brass that has been fired about 6-7 times, and stuff that's been fired 3-5 times, there is a big difference in neck tension during seating. I'm not sure if it's due to neck wall thickness or what...
With the LCD it wouldn't be differing neck wall thickness but instead differing hardness of the brass due to work hardening. Maybe an anneal is required after 5-6 loadings.
That's what I'd thought as well, but I've annealed them pretty well. Might just be time to trash that brass laugh
I assume that you guys that use the LCD's are having to bump shoulders back after a few firings?
Jordan,
For my Montana 243AI I bought the Redding Type S neck bushing die set for mine, then added the VLD micrometer seater. Works well so far, just started loading my FF loads last night.
Hope to shoot it this weekend after I kill a gobbler Sat morn....
I haven't had to touch the shoulders yet, but may need to in another 1-2 firings.
I haven't had to touch the shoulders yet, but may need to in another 1-2 firings.

Nor have I yet in 5-7 firings.
I bought 50 Nosler brass when I built my .280AI... and used them for 364 fired rounds (when I sold the rifle, along with 44 of the brass)... and never owned a die set for it, all I used was the 7mm Rem. LCD set.

You do need to anneal after every 4-6 firings depending on your chamber... and I'll occasionally lose a piece of brass to case head size, but I don't remember having to bump shoulders.
This is the Redding set I purchased:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/84...ester-ackley-improved-40-degree-shoulder
Just got the Redding set this week that I ordered from Midway. They had plenty in stock a few days ago - I'd buy them while they do. Seems like they run out pretty quick.
Bumping this thread to see what you guys like. Just picked up my first AI gun in 243ai.
This should make some interesting reading for you...
http://www.6mmar.com/243_Imp_30_.php

dave
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
Bumping this thread to see what you guys like. Just picked up my first AI gun in 243ai.

If you are using a single stage press and lubing brass, pretty hard to beat the Redding FL type S sizer and comp. seater.

Progressive press and the Type S neck die is slick with a nitrided bushing. I only lube when bumping shoulders with a body die. Most aren't doing it like this admittedly, but man is it nice.
Using a single stage RCBS Rock Chucker.

Considering doing the Lee Collet for neck size/deprime, then need something for bullet seating. Can I use my RCBS 243 bullet seating die to seat bullets in AI cases? So much to learn...
This is pretty standard for this rifle, with factory RemV barrel punched AI and recrowned, thrown powder charges, and LCD/Redding standard bullet seater. I've been very happy with the die setup. I PFLR with the Redding FL die when chambering becomes tight.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Yessir laugh

It should send the 80gr TTSX and 105gr A-Max out the spout at warp 9! grin

I have a .243AI on a Rem700 action, 22" bbl, and shoot the 85g TSXs. I can't recall the load data right now, but I do know I spit them out at 3,450 FPS w/out flattening primers or hitting excessive pressure ranges. I think I'm right on the edge of getting to that point, but it's a safe load, and is super-accurate.

I'd be surprised if you can't easily get 3,500 FPS out of the 80g TSX and have great accuracy at the same time.
First load...3485fps

[Linked Image]
+1 for Lee Collet dies.

Miss my Nesika 243ai.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Jordan,
For my Montana 243AI I bought the Redding Type S neck bushing die set for mine, then added the VLD micrometer seater. Works well so far, just started loading my FF loads last night.
Hope to shoot it this weekend after I kill a gobbler Sat morn....

Can you guys give me your fire form loads please? I am getting my 243 AI ready for some more soon. I am using Lapua brass, RL-17, 87gr V-max and a CCI 200. I also use moly.

I also have other powders and 105's if you have good results with a different combination.

Thank you!
Just use a mid to max published load for the SAAMI .243 and rock on. I use 37-40gr IMR4350 with the 87gr V-Max and Lap brass. I imagine your charge of R17 will be similar.
A good starting place for loads for 243 AI

http://www.angelfire.com/nd/243ackleyimproved/

Barstooler
© 24hourcampfire