Home
I'm going to go with a 1-8 twist on my Rem 700, and want to shoot the 75's, which gunsmith has this reamer? Are or most chambers cut with a long enough throat that these bullets work?

I know the 223 AI is extremely popular here, but it also seems some of the gunsmiths are backed up, or not doing rebarrel work.
Just make up a dummy round with a 75 Amax seated between 2.425-2.450 and have your smith throat it to the dummy, Gradous rifles, Beanland rifles could do the job!
Used IT&D Ohio and my coal at the lands is about 2.435". It took me a bit to find a load but it's shooting now. 8 twist 3 groove PAC-nor. Took them about 6-8 weeks to do it and the price was cheap. I've also heard that RW Snyder has a reamer that works well and he had about an 8 week turn around ony last 2 rifles.

Bb
i have a Robert Snyder .223 AI, and it is indeed a shooter. i'd give him a two thumbs up.
I have the AI reamer and throating reamer.

[email protected]
The A-Max doesn't take a longer reamer, it takes a longer mag box. Here is a 50 V-Max and a 75 A-Max, both seated to touch the same throat. It's all about the ogive and where you hit throat diameter, NOT bullet length.

[Linked Image]
+1 on what Rick said.
Like Ackleyfan said, make up a dummy and make the reamer/throat to fit.
Of course you're right Jim. I just wanted to let the OP know that he dind't need a special reamer to get out to the mythical long throat for that bullet. Common misconception.
Pac Nor will chamber the barrel and if you send them 3 dummy rounds with the bullet seated the length that you want, They will throat the chamber to match the dummy rounds, no extra charge....can't get much better than that!

I throat my 1-12's and 1-14 twists with a much shorter throat than is in the picture. Basically, the 50g bullet is seated about .020 above the shoulder neck junction which ='s a lot of extra barrel life which translates to Zero freebore and 1 1/2* leade angle.

On those long bullets, when you can't touch the lands, accuracy starts going away very fast.
Originally Posted by keith
I throat my 1-12's and 1-14 twists with a much shorter throat than is in the picture. Basically, the 50g bullet is seated about .020 above the shoulder neck junction which ='s a lot of extra barrel life which translates to Zero freebore and 1 1/2* leade angle.

That rifles has been shot a little bit. wink I agree with your thoughts.

Funny how many guys on here set up for a new barrel, then shot and shoot and shoot, but their seating depths never change! smile
Seems like if you compress the powder a little, standard deviation goes down.

Rick, once you reach the limit of your magazine box, you have no choice if you want a repeater. In my experience, once you start jumping VLD bullets 0.050, accuracy goes to crap.
Agreed Keith, but it's not that difficult to extend the 223-type mag box on a short M700. Which is what most of us run for that case.
2.425-2.450 is a great OAL for shooting the 75 Amax and you can still touch the lands with the 50 grainers, I have a 223 as we speak being throated for the 75 Amax's to touch at 2.450 and I modified the magazine so I have plenty of room to feed from the mag!
Yep, not sure why everyone thinks a 75gr A-Max needs a LONG throat, just the opposite. Thanks for the pic Rick.

That said, I do like it when those that KNOW go on about LONGER throats.

Not directed at the OP
© 24hourcampfire