Home
Posted By: kallen remington 700 barrel contours - 05/14/12
Is there a contour between the mountain rifle and standard?

The data I find is the mountain rifle is about .550 at the muzzle on a 22" and the standard is .660 at the muzzle on a 24". Is there something that is around .600-.625 at the muzzle at 24"?
The last several rigs I've done I had the smith give me a Remington taper that ended at .6 at the muzzle, to split the difference. About perfect tube.

Some folks tell me the KS contour is .6 at the muzzle, give or take, but don't know firsthand
That's what I'm talking about

Steelhead,

Do you like that contour with both Edge and Standard fill Mickys?

Thanks
Originally Posted by Steelhead
The last several rigs I've done I had the smith give me a Remington taper that ended at .6 at the muzzle, to split the difference. About perfect tube.

Some folks tell me the KS contour is .6 at the muzzle, give or take, but don't know firsthand

Yep, the KS contour finishes at .595"-.600" at 24" and is IMO just about the perfect barrel contour.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Yup, its a tweener right between the Mtn and a sporter and is a fine barrel contour. My 280Rem KS is right at .60 @ 24".
I just had Hart do a mountain rifle profile but finish .620" muzzle diameter @ 23". I am very satisfied with this contour.
Originally Posted by Brett_McMurray
Steelhead,

Do you like that contour with both Edge and Standard fill Mickys?

Thanks

Thinking at the moment but I don't believe I have one in a Swirl, all are in Edge stocks and the longest is 21". I can't see it not working in a Swirl, assuming you ain't running an A5
Which barrel manufactures are you having turn these down to a custom contour?
I know that Lilja has the KS contour programmed.

I believe that PacNor does as well.

I'm sure there are several other too.
Posted By: GuyM Re: remington 700 barrel contours - 05/14/12
The major barrel makers can turn the barrel to pretty much any factory contour as well as the different "custom" contours.

Krieger has quite a chart of different contours available.

http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/Rapid...e.cfm&PageId=3382&CompanyId=1246

Guy
Originally Posted by nsaqam

Do you happen to know Lilja's contour code for the KS profile?
Yep, the KS contour finishes at .595"-.600" at 24" and is IMO just about the perfect barrel contour.

I have standard MR and standard sporter contours on various M700's, but a KS-ish contour will be on my next build.
Douglas #2 may be close to what your after....

W
Originally Posted by JasonF

G and M code.

Seriously though I do not and don't think they list it as a standard offering.
Best bet would be to give them a call or email them and ask specifically for the KS contour.
Originally Posted by JasonF

G and M code.

Seriously though I do not and don't think they list it as a standard offering.
Best bet would be to give them a call or email them and ask specifically for the KS contour.

Thanks. Will do. Normally I just order their "Remsport" which is a perfect match for the standard sporter, but would like to give the KS a go.
You'll like the KS contour.
I think what JasonF is asking is what are the measurements of the standard KS (not magnum) profile as you move from action to muzzle.

From the action, the KS Magnum seems to be
2in - 1.185 dia
5.125in - .770 dia
11.125in - .690 dia
24in - .650 dia

If the normal KS is .550 at the muzzle, is the profile .100 less across the rest of the barrel with the shank the same size?

Is the reduction through inches 2 to 5 a taper or a radius?

Unfortunately the Lilja site is annoyingly vague about these measurements. For myself, I seek to have a 7/08 built on a Model 7 action that will have a new 22in barrel with a KS profile. I don't have access to a KS with which to compare so I must ask the questions.

The KS profile appears to be a very well thought of - but what is the profile?

Cheers,

Adam.
Sweet Jesus, if someone busts out an abacus next I'm gone.

I sent my smith and action, I said I want the barrel to have the same Remington contour as the sporter but turned so it tapers down to .6 at the muzzle.

I then order my McMillan stocks inlet for a MR tube and open them up a bit and all is skookum.
I checked with one of the barrel smiths and he said no problem tapering the standard sporter to .600 at the muzzle.

I guess my only question at this point is if the contour of the mountain rifle and standard contour start out the same but the mountain rifle contour tapers down more narrow after the shank/radius area?

What confused me is if a KS is a standard or a mountain rifle contour tapered to .600 or if they're the same?
Originally Posted by kallen
I checked with one of the barrel smiths and he said no problem tapering the standard sporter to .600 at the muzzle.

I guess my only question at this point is if the contour of the mountain rifle and standard contour start out the same but the mountain rifle contour tapers down more narrow after the shank/radius area?

What confused me is if a KS is a standard or a mountain rifle contour tapered to .600 or if they're the same?

Not the best picture but I think you can see that the Mtn rifle (top rifle) contour and the KS (bottom rifle) start out being the same at the recoil lug, and they are probably the same out to maybe the 1st 6" of barrel. Then the KS stays pretty consistent in the taper where the Mtn gets much thinner.

If you try and copy the 2nd picture and zoom in maybe you can see it better?? Or just hit quote and the pics get larger.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Thanks for the pics
Those pictures are very useful, thankyou. Is the KS a magnum?
Originally Posted by Adamjp
Those pictures are very useful, thankyou. Is the KS a magnum?

Nope, its a .280Rem and the muzzle is right at .60 at 24".
Thankyou for that - very useful. Don't suppose you could let me know what it is at that point where the major taper stops and the long taper begins - looks to be around 6 inches from the action towards the muzzle.
© 24hourcampfire