Home
I have known Jim for a few years and he has done a couple stock projects for me. He does excellent work. Does anybody know if he is having health or personal problems? His phone number and email are no longer any good.
He was supposed to have completed a stock build for me a few months ago and now he doesn't respond to PMs. I hope all is well for him.
+1, let me know Butch if you hear from him.
As I said in your other thread snail mail is probably the best way to find out what's up.
If he himself doesn't get it one of his family members will.

I certainly hope he's well.
22wrf likely snuffed him.....

I'm pulling for you Butch.
Hmmm. He called me a few weeks ago to update me on my guide gun restocking, but never got a pm with how much to send him to finish up.
Haven't heard anything since. Hope he is okay.
I'll go back thru my call history and try to find his number.
Anyone find out about Jim62?
I did a search on google James Linthicum-Dodge City, Kansas I was not prepared for what I discovered. Jim still doesn't return calls. He has a custom 40X of mine that has extensive metal work done to it. He sent a photo of it with the pattern stock and now has disappeared. I also advanced him considerable funds and also paid for the stock blank that I got from him.
Not cool Butch, I ran the search and found what you did. I hope this turns out better than what it looks like it may.
Round 2 for me!
First sitka deer screws me, and now maybe Jim.
He has my ss guide gun for a restocking job.
No word from him either.
Big sigh.........
I generally don't do business with azzholes on the 'Fire - In my experiences, this gentleman was one.

Looking at what a simple search across the web uncovers dating back 5+ years, I'm not surprised.

Hopefully there is a mistake -
mcMillan for the win?
Butch, I hope it works out for you. A 40X would be a shame to go to waste.
Sounds like it is time for a road trip.....
Originally Posted by GregW
I generally don't do business with azzholes on the 'Fire - In my experiences, this gentleman was one.

+1

Looking at what a simple search across the web uncovers dating back 5+ years, I'm not surprised.

Hopefully there is a mistake -

I agree!
Well,
I can't make a blanket statement like that about the people on the fire. I can list quite a few that I have had dealings with and it has been all positive.
#1 Karl Feldkamp
#2 Mickey Coleman
#3 James Anderson
#4 Jim Kobe
#6 Charley Santoni
#7 Mike Bryant
#8 Mr Malmborg in SLC, Utah
These are the ones that I have had dealings with and I can say they were honest with me and did their work in the estimated time and for the estimated price. They are not in any particular order. I have used a few other smiths, but don't know if they frequent the fire.
I hope this turns out well and everybody gets their stuff and money back.

I can say for a fact that Mickey Coleman would probably rather die than cheat a customer on a gunsmith deal.
Posted By: KDK Re: JIM62-James Linthicum contact - 07/19/12
Butch, I read that statement to read 'people on the fire who are azzholes' not a blanket statement. I haven't been around as much as some, but to name two, Mickey and Eddie do not strike me as falling in this category...
Originally Posted by KDK
Butch, I read that statement to read 'people on the fire who are azzholes' not a blanket statement. I haven't been around as much as some, but to name two, Mickey and Eddie do not strike me as falling in this category...

Butch,

My comment was of course not a blanket statement.
Sorry for the lack of clarity -
reading some of the other statements online... those that followed up with legal action, etc did eventually get there items back and were actually happy with there final product.... it does not justify the situation but at least you might get your stuff back and be "happy" with some more effort... good luck...
Karnis is another that is top notch and highly reccomended by me and many others.

I sure hope you get your rifle back, and soon. Bad situation, freind.
karnis is refurbing an old Mod 37 Remington stock for me at this time. I think I will be happy. Jim62 does excellent work, he has disappeared on me and after doing a search he has done it more than once. A few guys[un named on the fire] are getting a little anxious also.
It may be getting time for a bucket of tar, a sack of feathers, and a road trip to visit with this old boy if he can be found.
Hold on while I wipe the look of surprise off of my face....

I figured him to be a f'n azzwipe, and looks like I wasn't disappointed.....

Good luck fellas, looks like you have a lot of company in being taken.

Tony
Originally Posted by KDK

Butch,

My comment was of course not a blanket statement.
Sorry for the lack of clarity -

There are azzholes on the 'Fire?
Originally Posted by hicountry

I figured him to be a f'n azzwipe, and looks like I wasn't disappointed...

If I recall, Big Stick sniffed him out years ago. Looks like he was right again.
Butch, I hope that works out for you as well as the others.

If one peruses his posts here, he reveals himself as a reasonably knowledgeable yet unstable, hot-headed, homophobic azzhole with a true gift of being able to type faster than his brain can process. Character revealed.

Fingers crossed for you my friend!
I hope it all works out for you guys. I first noticed Jim62 when he just wouldn't accept that Hornady had changed their 180 gr 30 cal bullets and was very rude and racist on that thread. I guess it is a good lesson to avoid any dealings with some of the other guys here that continually attack other people.
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Originally Posted by hicountry

I figured him to be a f'n azzwipe, and looks like I wasn't disappointed...

If I recall, Big Stick sniffed him out years ago. Looks like he was right again.

Jkob
Wasn't he the one accusing Luxus of being crooked? Ironic.

Call the Kansas Attorney General's Office, you'd be surprised how helpful the consumer fraud offices can be.
Having dealt with Jim several times, speaking with him on the phone, and corresponding through PMs a lot I just find it hard to believe that he harbors any nefarious intentions here.

I'm still of the belief that something in his personal life such as his health, marriage, or family issues are preventing him from responding to the OP's requests.

Jim, if you read this ever I'm holding out hope that your issues will be resolved and that you'll complete your transactions with Butch and the others.

I'm wishing you the best from MN.
nsagam,
I'm with you. I just don't understand no contact.
Me either. Last time we talked he said he wasn't going to do stocks anymore and go back into making bronze. ????
Big question mark going on here.

He did a wonderful job on my 280ai stock, a pretty much rush job, and had it back to me for my vet only elk hunt. Really hope he is okay.
This is just strange.
Visited with my attorney and my Son who is also an attorney about this. We have a plan. I have checked with the BATFE and found he doesn't have a FFL. Legally he can't possess my barreled action. It also appears that the local police have dealt with him in the past. I sent him a certified letter and will pursue this. The drive to Dodge City would be a pleasure.
That sucks
Wow. First sitka deer with my first stock. Which he still has, btw.
Now possibly Jim, who has my stock set and my gun.
I'm sure not picking guys to work on my stuff too well.
Butch, I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. Hope it works out for you.
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Visited with my attorney and my Son who is also an attorney about this. We have a plan. I have checked with the BATFE and found he doesn't have a FFL. Legally he can't possess my barreled action. It also appears that the local police have dealt with him in the past. I sent him a certified letter and will pursue this. The drive to Dodge City would be a pleasure.

How did he get it?
Not good.
Posted By: GF1 Re: JIM62-James Linthicum contact - 07/29/12
As one who over 20 years ago suffered significant loss as the fraud/bankruptcy of a custom gunmaker, I have learned to be careful. Careful about putting too much up front, careful to make sure I really know the craftsman, visit in person while job underway.

The guy who really ripped me continues on, despite some fraud investigations in the last few years, and is nationally known.

Caveat emptor on custom stuff...
Man this is gonna get real ugly...real fast. Sucks for everyone involved.

I hope you can get this resolved without having to tie up lots of time and money with lawyers and such.
Any updates?
My certified receipt has not returned yet. I did dig out the CMP bill of sale and Certificate of Authenticity.
highbillybear, Fortunately it will be Pro Bono for me.
I hope he gets around to returning everyone's stuff. Sure hope i see my guide gun again.
Rode Trip!!! I bet if you show up for your rifle, he would gladly give it to you. You will only be out some time, fuel, and behind on a project. But, you would have your rifle.
Had a skull cleaner try and skip out once with one of my customer's skulls. Couldn't get a hold of him, no returned emails, sent registered letter, etc.

Finally drove down there (2hrs away), and contacted the local police to go with me. The guy was dumbfounded and angry that I showed with cops. Got my skull back. Heard that someone else had to do the same thing after I did, and he assualted a cop!

Good luck.
I had a taxidermist in Alberta ask me to send the final payment on a musk ox shoulder mount, saying it was ready to ship. I sent the $$$ and after a month asked where the hell it was, since it ain't all that far from Alberta to Montana. Didn't get a reply for a week, and then he said it would be shipped immediately. After another week I called and said if I didn't have it within another week I'd be up there to pick it up myself--or the money. I got a phone call the next day from his wife saying it would arrive within three days, and it did.
The drive to Dodge City would be a pleasure.

Evidently you've never driven to Dodge City before. smile

Hope it works out for you.
My certified receipt has not returned yet. I did dig out the CMP bill of sale and Certificate of Authenticity.
highbillybear, Fortunately it will be Pro Bono for me.

I am glad the lawyers won't cost you a bunch. I also hope you get to flog the son of a shoat that has so royally screwed you.
Couldn't get a hold of him, no returned emails, sent registered letter, etc.

Finally drove down there (2hrs away),...

Two hours away, and you wasted all that time and money on registered letters, etc?

A couple phone calls gone unanswered and a little drive would've been a given.
Originally Posted by SKane

If one peruses his posts here, he reveals himself as a reasonably knowledgeable yet unstable, hot-headed, homophobic azzhole with a true gift of being able to type faster than his brain can process. Character revealed.

This is spot on....never seen anyone "edit" his posts faster than Jim.

Originally Posted by Cheesy
The drive to Dodge City would be a pleasure.

Evidently you've never driven to Dodge City before. smile

Hope it works out for you.

I have and you are right!! Pretty ugly country and it just smells like cow [bleep]... I did a buffalo hunt out there a while back...
It's hard to wrap my head around the idea that this guy, could also be a theif.... confused

WICHITA, Kansas � Wichita police are honoring a citizen who helped save a teenage from a brutal stabbing earlier this year.

It happened May 10th in the 4900 block of E. Lincoln. James Linthicum saw an 18-year-old man stabbing a 16-year-old boy multiple times in the back outside his apartment complex.

When officers arrived, they found Linthicum had put his body between the suspect and the victim, protecting him from the attacker. They boy was taken to the hospital in critical condition, but survived.

Friday, Linthicum received a special award for his services and recounted the night of the attack.

�I saw the two individuals fighting right in front of me -- about five feet in front of me and the one was stabbing the other one in the back,� he said. �I didn't even have any second thoughts. I just jumped right in and tried to separate the two of them.�

Officers say had it not be for Linthicum�s actions, the victim would likely have died.
Personally, i think something has happened to Jim. Not sure what, but with the work he did for me in the past, and the constant contact he had with me during the work, this just doesn't make sense.
I really hope he is okay.
Posted By: 65BR Re: JIM62-James Linthicum contact - 08/02/12
If you have a physical address, see if you can do a search for neighbors and call them and ask if they have any info on his status. So if it's a possibility...

http://www.whitepages.com/reverse_address

Hope that helps Butch and good luck sir.
Originally Posted by ColdBore
Two hours away, and you wasted all that time and money on registered letters, etc?

$2 for a letter, or 4 hrs and a tank of gas. Hmmmm

James Linthicum
Dodge City, KS 67843 (620) 227-0000
Jim is 50, and lives in dodge city.
Looks like he may be a moving target.. Bet there is someone who would pay him a visit.. A good private eye could pin him down in a heart beat..
I was going by the news story someone posted. I will edit the others from my previous post.
James Linthicum
1315 Brightside Ave Apt A
Dodge City, KS 67801

I can find contacts for his family living in Welch OK as well, but I am hesitant to post as it appears to be his parents aged 69 & 70.
Originally Posted by splattermatic
Personally, i think something has happened to Jim. Not sure what, but with the work he did for me in the past, and the constant contact he had with me during the work, this just doesn't make sense.
I really hope he is okay.

I hope so too but the quantity of negative stories and comments found with a simple google search do not do a lot to add credibility.... my best to you and Butch and hoping all turns out well for all three of you...
Originally Posted by ColdBore

$2 for a letter, or 4 hrs and a tank of gas. Hmmmm

No response, a trail that's getting colder, and still nothing to show for it, or face to face after knocking on the door and receiving your goods on the spot.

Do you want your stuff or not?

Hmmm......
Sucks but still not sure why folks are surprised. Sorry, but I do appreciate the humor of Splatter being apart of this
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Sorry, but I do appreciate the humor of Splatter being apart of this

Humor? as in funny haha?
Any body here remember off the old shooters.com the thread David A and Arnold Arms debacle?
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Sorry, but I do appreciate the humor of Splatter being apart of this

Humor? as in funny haha?

Course it is funny to him as he thinks being an Alaskan thief is honorable.
22wrf likely snuffed him.....

I'm pulling for you Butch.

Interesting your on Butch's side but not Splatter's, what your alaskan buddy did to splatter was wrong,and why you won't say so speaks loudly of one's character, you might try a mile in their shoes before you say it's funny!
Originally Posted by HuntKY

This is spot on....never seen anyone "edit" his posts faster than Jim.

Yes, most definitely spot on. As spot on as it gets, actually.

I have never seen eye to eye with Jim, and we have had several "ugly conversations/confrontations" in the past. That said, reluctantly, I bought a knife from him a while back. I must admit, I was kinda woried about sending him the money due to our "colorful" past. Truth is, Jim was very cordial to deal with and the transaction went down without a hitch. No troubles. Which confirmed, in my mind anyway, that Jim may be a little rough around the edges(okay maybe a lot rough), but I never thought him to be the dishonest type.......
Tried calling him just now, and his voice mail is full.

Great. ....

Any news butch?

Oh, and steelhead, GFY.
Talked to an officer Kramer in Dodge City, just a bit ago.
Boy, is Jim in trouble.
I gotta get some info together to email to him.
Unlike my episode with Sita Deer, I'm pushing legal action since my s.s. Guide gun is involved.
Take legal action against both thief's, I would....

Stand for something, or fall for anything.
So what's the story? Just flake out, or did he die, or drugs/alcohol/gambling?
Just got my certified letter back unable to deliver. The problem that I have with Jim is no contact from him. If he has legal, family, or physical problems he should notify his customers and work things out. It ain't the end of the World for me, but I am very disappointed in a trusted person.
Yes, I will pursue it and it might get ugly.
So what's the story? Just flake out, or did he die, or drugs/alcohol/gambling?

I think the "no FFL" is the issue. Just a comment from the cheap seats.
Even if he went to the pokie, certainly he would bond out.
Might be cheaper to just send our rifles back.
I will give the info I have to the officer, including the address I have, the serial number, pics of my gun, and pics of the wood i bought.
Officer Kramer, is also aware of this thread, and has come to this site, and read it.
He is on vacation this week, as i spoke to him on his cell, and we will be in touch next week, when he returns.
I am respecting his privacy, and will not give out his cell, but i will his email, as he requested.

Too bad it has come this. All Jim had to do was explain, and if needed funds to ship back, I would have gladly have sent what was needed for the return of my property.
Good deal! Sounds like you guys are gaining ground on the crook.
Seems there are more than just butch and I.
There's a guy that has a pretty rare air rifle involved too.
I just want my rifle and wood back. I will need a new butt stock cuz he cut it and did some changes to make the new butt stock. If the new one is cut and done, great, if not, well. .

Fixed the spelling!
Ya mean butt stock?
Well,
I have the certificate of authenticity and bill of sale from the Civilian marksmanship program. I also have photos of it with the custom metal work.
Smart phones have to be watched.
splatter stole your buttocks?
McMillan for the win.
Yep. Was slappin it good too!
Only pretty wood deserves to be on fine guns.
Too bad it has come this. All Jim had to do was explain...

And if pigs could fly. His reputation for this sort of thing has been well established for a long time.
Don't know Jim, but this reminds me of a taxidermist I know of. Took in a bunch of work and just got burned out and kept putting it off. He would always say the mounts were from last year etc, and before you knew it, it was five years and they were still there. It was like he lost track of time. Taxidermist was a genuine good guy, just hit the wall I guess. Hopefully this is a similar situation and you get your stuff back.
I guess that Jim is still lurking on the forum. He is not going to be happy with me pretty soon.
Posted By: aalf Re: JIM62-James Linthicum contact - 08/11/12
You're right Butch....

jim62 (Member #6678)
User
Registered On: 12/09/04 05:58 PM

He knows what's going on........
The next Edited by jim62 should be a good one. whistle

You know, it would be so easy to do the right thing. Looks as he is going to have a lot more on his plate than he counted on. Brad541 on another forum had his go and prevailed, but he paid the guy a little extra money to get his rifle back. We will let you know how this progresses.
I didn't know how easy it was to get a SSN.
Good luck guys. He's a slime ball and you will be lucky to get your gear back.

He is quick with his edits but he forgets that the unedited version is what gets emailed as a notice. He isn't half as crafty as he thinks.

Tried calling him just now, and his voice mail is full.

Great. ....

Any news butch?

Oh, and steelhead, GFY.

Laffin with you!
Update
The BATFE in Kansas City and the Dodge City PD are working this. Both have checked out his history and see he is a crook. As far as they have checked he has been doing people out of their money since at least 2006. He is in hiding, but he will be found.
One of these days a guy in a suit will tap him on the shoulder and he will say Oh $hit!
Hate to hear about this, but it really makes you appreciate some of the honest, hard working people you get to know!!!!!
Posted By: 65BR Re: JIM62-James Linthicum contact - 12/15/12
Looking forward to justice...
Many of you have bad dealings with the airgun stock maker James Linthicium - here is a quick update.

About 3 years ago I found myself in a disastrous situation when I shipped my Whiscombe Airrifle to this seemingly reputable airgun Stock maker .

My negative Dealer BOI post pretty much explains the situation.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/5627...inthicum+NEGATIVE+-+Legal+Action+Pending

I filed a law suit against him as well as pressed criminal charges ,with the Post Office, FBI, Internet Fraud and the Sheriffs Dept in Dodge City. Mail fraud, theft etc etc etc - it's a long list.

Well today I got good news from the detective in charge of the case.

Mr. Linthicium was located (back in Kansas) a search warranty was obtained and he was arrested by the Dodge City Police last Friday evening.

Currently he is behind bars.

The best news is that during the search of his property my prized Whiscombe JW50 # 013 was located, but sadly in pieces...

The bad news is that my original stock has been broken into 3 pieces - and all the nuts and bolts to put the rifle back together are missing.
The action and barrel are intact although the condition of them is unknown.
The heavy duty Pelican Rifle case which the rifle was shipped in is missing.

My rifle (in pieces) is now safely locked up in the evidence locker - while we wait for the court to appoint a court date and possible trial.

Considering that I never thought that I'd see that airgun ever again this is very good news, as at least I now am assured that I will be getting it back,
hopefully in the not to distant future. Although I do have to fly out from Los Angeles to Dodge City for the court date when he stands trial - and testify against him.

Anyway there is now a light at the end of the tunnel.

And please let this be a warning to all of you shipping rifles to 3rd parties - PLEASE do your due diligence.
USE the dealer BOI and BOI pages, search other forums and boards for possible scams / scammers.

Continue safe shooting.

James
Posted By: TC1 Re: JIM62-James Linthicum ARRESTED - 05/12/13
Behind bars. Good deal!
Originally Posted by AngliaUSA

And please let this be a warning to all of you shipping rifles to 3rd parties - PLEASE do your due diligence.
USE the dealer BOI and BOI pages, search other forums and boards for possible scams / scammers.

Continue safe shooting.

James

What are "dealer BOI pages"?
Originally Posted by 405wcf

I had the same question. Google found a web site. "BOI" appears to be airgun jargon.

Board of Inquiry

--Bob
Originally Posted by BullShooter
Originally Posted by 405wcf

I had the same question. Google found a web site. "BOI" appears to be airgun jargon.

Board of Inquiry

--Bob

Thanks!
Wow. Somebody needs to let bricktop know that justice is sometimes done.

Glad he got caught ans hopefull more will get their stuff back.
I never liked the guy. Seemed like something just didn't register with his blatant negative posts and know it all attitude. powdr
I'm glad he got his.
I just hope to finally hear that butch gets his... Back!!!

Good luck Butch!
Right now I'm just happy the low life is in jail. I did have a call from the police dept yesterday. I missed the call as I was on the tractor mowing. I will touch base with them tomorrow. Hope he hasn't ruined my custom rifle, but I would be happier if he had to spend a couple years in the slammer.
Good deal !
haha, where is his fan club now?

Block C - in the showers, maybe?

My heart breaks (not).
I had a voice message on my cell this morning saying Linthicum was in jail and they had my rifle. The officer that handled it should be available tomorrow and will be out of town for a day or two. I haven't talked to the officer personally yet since he was arrested.
I'll bet he has bailed out already.
Butch

Sounds like your gaining. I hope you recieve your rifle back soon.

Hal
Posted By: TC1 Re: JIM62-James Linthicum ARRESTED - 05/14/13

HAR! grin
Wow!
Glad I got stuff back.
Now if sitka deer would man up and return or compensate me for the stuff he stole.
Linthicum is still in lockup. Grin! His preliminary hearing is Thursday at the Ford County Courthouse.
Glad they found your gun Butch, also glad a scumbag is getting what is coming to him. The gun industry does not deserve a-holes like that.
Well it appears that rust is on both the new bolt and new barrel. One of the custom scope bases is missing. Just had a post on 6mmbr.com that a few people in SW Kansas were aware of him and he has been scamming people for years.
That sucks, hopefully the rust is not pitting and they find your base. It is probably there in a pile somewhere.
Wow!
Glad I got stuff back.
Now if sitka deer would man up and return or compensate me for the stuff he stole.

If you haven't gotten the Law and Legal counsel involved by now,

I would really have to wonder why....
Linthicum is still in lockup. Grin! His preliminary hearing is Thursday at the Ford County Courthouse.

Good, hope some buck [bleep] swaps his sorry ass for a carton of Marlboros and ole JL gets a screwing for a change.

Gunner
Well that sucks for all involved and I hope the best for all of you.

Now let me show you my shocked look!

To those that tried busting my balls for calling Jim62 a POS who is laughing now?
I just gave up and moved on.
A lesson learned.
No comment!
For posterity....

Edited by jim62

Now that's funny!

Not to those he screwed I am sure.
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Well that sucks for all involved and I hope the best for all of you.

Now let me show you my shocked look!

To those that tried busting my balls for calling Jim62 a POS who is laughing now?

How could anyone not think he was a pos just by the way he acted on here

For posterity....

Edited by jim62

The situation isn't funny bro...

This post by Skane is...
Jim still in jjail?
© 24hourcampfire