Home
We have all been there. Accraglass or Steel bed or other bedding compound is all set up and hardened and now it is the nervous time to see if the rifle is EVER going to come out of the stock! We remove the action screws, pull off the bottom metal (Hopefully this comes off easliy but....) then we wrap our fingers around the barrel and tug. UGH! No movement! Pull harder and harder then go up the force continueum until we HOPEFULLY at last are holding a barreled action and a still in tact riflestock in two separate hands. WHEW! Another close call! Now it is time to analyze, how much damage did we do to the bluing, metalwork or stock before it came apart for us?

So, to avoid all of this angst, what do YOU all use as a relaible and easy release agent when glass bedding a rifle? I have three of them to do for a rancher who is allowing me to hunt bear and cougar on his large tract of prime bear and cougar habitat and I want these jobs to go smoothly. I have a can of Brownells spray on release agent coming to try out, but wonder if this is THE BEST or if there iss omething else out there that is even better. Car Wax and PAM non stick spray been tried with minimal success so far.

THANKS in advance for the intel and suggestions,

MARK
One Shot case lube from Hornady is what I have used for 7-8 years with 100% success. I usually give the rifle 1 coat and let dry and then hit it with a good 2nd coat.
Good idea, thanks!

Keep 'em coming, please.
kiwi Shoe polish, nuetral. Adam
Originally Posted by ab_bentley
kiwi Shoe polish, nuetral. Adam

+1

I've had great luck with Kiwi
I like oneshot, being a spray on its easy to get in the nooks and cranies, but it goes on thin and makes for a tight release ( most of my bedding is Rugers, and those parallel reciever sides make for a tight bedding job as compared to a remington.

If you want an easy release try two coats of the stuff that comes with an accraglass kit.
Clear Kiwi. Never fails.
High score release agent is what I've been using. Kiwi is what ill use when it runs out.

I personally don't use the action screws. I've made a few sets of studs to use if not bedding with pillars.I use electrical tape to hold the action and stock together during curing.
Obviously, a bunch of different options work. I'd heard the wax deal for years, just always used the spray release from Brownells. It seems to be the fastest and easiest to use, and works great.

DF
One Shot works really well and it doesn't get any easier.

I heard Pam cooking spray was good, BUT don't try it. Don't ask...

Carnuba wax is what I used to use and it worked fine, used to use a small paint brush to apply it.
One or two good passes with a spray can is sure faster and easier than painting the action with a small paint brush. And, I've done it both ways, just going with the spray to save time and effort. I'm basically lazy.

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
One or two good passes with a spray can is sure faster and easier than painting the action with a small paint brush. And, I've done it both ways, just going with the spray to save time and effort. I'm basically lazy.

DF

10-4, it also gives a smoother coat for a better fit.
I use the Brownell's blue paint-on release agent along with a coat or two of One Shot afterwards. Might not need both but sure makes me feel better.
You're a belt AND suspenders kind of a guy... laugh

Not a bad way to be.

DF
Hands down Brownells acra release spray. I spray the metal right before I drop it in the mud. No need to dry anything. Takes under 1 minute for full 100% coverage of all parts. Get in the screw holes well and spray the screws too. Remove the barreled action first with pressure towards the muzzle end. Might need to tap the bottom metal out with a stick of wood and a light hammer.
I have a can of Brownells Accra Glass spray on release agent en route, In the gunsmithing forum whereI also posed this questionsomeone recomended Poly something or other spray. I will probably use a combination of products on these projects and report back. The stuff that comes in the Brownells kit has not been all that great for me in the past. Hoping for better results this time around.

THANKS everyone!
Mark, i have used Johnsons Pate wax for the last 6 stocks i have bedded.
I have been soley using Brownell's blue stuff for many years. I bought a quart of it long ago. Never had any issues with it.
I use Carnuba paste wax.
As Adam and KDF said, Kiwi Neutral shoe polish. I have tried many release agents over the years and nothing has worked as good as the Kiwi shoe polish. It is also easier to apply and remove than wax.
Spray on moly based mold release agent; 25 years, not a problem; wipe off easily with WD40.

Paste waxes are not even in the same discussion; next best choice is Brownell's spray release agent.

MM
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84

+1
I've been using the same can of paste wax for almost 15 years and have never had a action stuck in a stock, cleans up fine with a little mineral spirits and a clean rag or paper towels.
This discussion proves, there's more than one way to skin a cat... laugh

DF
Kiwi, very thin and works great
i use turtle wax, works great
I think, at this point, that I will be using a combination of Kiwi wax and a coating of the Brownells spray on release agent. Mostly I have to make double sure that I do not create a mechanical lock up with my bedding compound. I think this has been my nemisis in the past.

THANKS again to all who offerd intel and ideas. Much aappreciated. Follow up report to follow when my supplies get here from Brownells.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
You're a belt AND suspenders kind of a guy... laugh

Not a bad way to be.

DF

Kind of like when someone asks you which you prefer, blondes or redheads?

Both!
We use Johnson paste wax.
Mark,

Add me to the Johnson's Past Wax crowd. I've done a dozen rifles with it with no problems. I did have to put one in the freezer for a couple hours but it was because I missed getting some on just forward of the receiver on the barrel. After a little chill down it popped right out.

I used vaseline on the first one I ever did, way back in my 20's. It worked fine.

Mart
Originally Posted by safariman
...... what do YOU all use as a relaible and easy release agent when glass bedding a rifle?

MARK

A 2x4 and a hammer....I am sorta ham-fisted eek

Seriously I use bowling alley wax.

But the 2x4 and hammer aren't far away.
iv'e only used pam cooking spray
I think, at this point, that I will be using a combination of Kiwi wax and a coating of the Brownells spray on release agent. Mostly I have to make double sure that I do not create a mechanical lock up with my bedding compound. I think this has been my nemisis in the past.

I'm not sure I'd go that route Mark...A couple few years ago I got my first "stuck" bed job by using a "combo" of one shot & Johnsons paste...& I was only bedding the barrel channel & like you, I wanted to "be sure" it came apart easily...it didn't, & even freezing it a couple times didn't help.

Eventually I ended up knocking about a 1/4 X 2" chunk out of the fore end of the stock...

I've never used the Kiwi polish but Johnsons has worked fine by itself as has the oneshot...I'll never try to "combo" them up again...
I used the "combo" method of Johnson's paste wax and PAM cooking spray on my last stock bedding job. It did not work all that well.

I have had no problem with two coats of PAM in the past.
I've used the Accraglass blue stuff. It works, but is messy. Now I use the Brownell's accra-eze spray-on. It is almost too easy, and has never given me a problem.
The way you describe pulling apart a bedding job is about the hardest way to get the job done. At least it seems that way to me. I just lay a folded towel at the edge of the table, then holding the rifle as you normally would, give the barrel (close to the fore-end) a downward smack on the towel. You normally hear a pop, then you can easily work the barreled action out of the stock. Be sure to remove the action screws first - don't ask. Then I knock the bottom metal out from the top. I haven't had any difficulty with this method at all... Good Luck!
Johnson paste wax works great. Brownell's spray great. Pam is terrible!
All I use is the Brownell's spray can stuff, never had a problem with that.
I use kiwi neutral.
Acra-release is ''the stuff'' and it only takes a little bit. I bet I'll never need another can of it and will never go back to the stuff in the kit or paste wax. Doesn't take much. On the other hand.... if you only do one or two stocks, might not to be worth the $32 plus shipping. Probably costs 12-14 bucks to ship being an aerosol.
THANKS for all of the tips! Mine (spray on accra release) just arrived here today, along with the other gunsmithing goodies like a tube full of light guage springs, large shop sized kit of the Brownells Accrglass materials, and other fun stuff.

I am trading glass bedding jobs, trigger jobs, thourough cleaning and lubing, ammo loading and Dyna Bore coating on three rifles for to landowner for predator hunting rights. His land is literally tens of thousands of locked up private, secure timber and hunting property that is just plain ovverrun with black bears and cougar. He is retaining for now all deer and elk hunting for family, Quite OK by me, but who knows, I might get permision for those someday as I build the relationships. Got 'em all cleaned and Dyna Bore coated and lubed, tommorow we do the bedding and start on the loading of ammunition with Moly Coated (by me) Barnes TTSX bullets.
Originally Posted by BlackDog1
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84

+1
I've been using the same can of paste wax for almost 15 years and have never had a action stuck in a stock, cleans up fine with a little mineral spirits and a clean rag or paper towels.

+1, I've used this as well and it works great. I also use Hornady one shot case lube too....for those hard to reach areas grin
THANKS for all of the tips! Mine (spray on accra release) just arrived here today, along with the other gunsmithing goodies like a tube full of light guage springs, large shop sized kit of the Brownells Accrglass materials, and other fun stuff.

I am trading glass bedding jobs, trigger jobs, thourough cleaning and lubing, ammo loading and Dyna Bore coating on three rifles for to landowner for predator hunting rights. His land is literally tens of thousands of locked up private, secure timber and hunting property that is just plain ovverrun with black bears and cougar. He is retaining for now all deer and elk hunting for family, Quite OK by me, but who knows, I might get permision for those someday as I build the relationships. Got 'em all cleaned and Dyna Bore coated and lubed, tommorow we do the bedding and start on the loading of ammunition with Moly Coated (by me) Barnes TTSX bullets.
You're welcome. Hope all your work is worth it. Have fun. CB
© 24hourcampfire