Home
Posted By: 270jrk 308 rechambered to 300 Savage? - 11/14/12
So I have a 722 in 300 Savage, but want to build something lighter. I was thinking of doing it faux-ti style. If I found a takeoff Mtn rifle contour 308 or 30-06 barrel, is there enough meat in the shank to set it back and rechamber to 300 savage? If this wouldn't pan out, and I need to do a full rebarrel, I would rather do a KS contour, I think. Thoughts? Advice? Thanks.
Why not just rebarrel to 308, or is your heart set on the 300?
Mine is a KS contour, so I'm told. Measures .6 at the muzzle.

Were it me I would either A) Have the current barrel turned down or B) Get a new tube screwed on.

And I'd be looking hard at option B
Yeah, I would rather have a 300, Steelhead's little black 300 is the idea I'm toying with. Figured I'd just pick up a used ADL to rebarrel, and leave this 722 as is. What do you think, 22" barrel? Shorter? Should I just ship a barreled action to PacNor and tell them the chambering and KS contour? I've never used a Ti stock, figured I'd give it a try. Steelhead, could you give me some more details on yours? It seems like a sweet little rifle, Thanks.
I sent it to Dave at IT&D and told him I wanted it between a Sporter and Mountain rifle contour and to measure .6" at the muzzle (which from what folks tell me is a KS contour, but don't know as I've never touched a KS).

Mine is 21" long and that is just fine with me.
I would re-contour the existing barrel if it looks good. GD
Posted By: KDK Re: 308 rechambered to 300 Savage? - 11/15/12
Are there any magazine differences between a.308 based cartridge and a .250 or .300 Savage? IOW, if you rebarrel a .308 do you need to change anything else?
Posted By: DMc Re: 308 rechambered to 300 Savage? - 11/16/12
Originally Posted by 270jrk
I would rather have a 300, Steelhead's little black 300 is the idea I'm toying with.

A picture would be nice?? How about it Steelhead?

DMc
KDK, IIRC, the Rem 722 in 300 Sav. had a 1 in 12 twist, while the 308 and 30-06 Rem. bolts both had 1 in 10 twists.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yeow! Awesome Steelhead! Very cool!
New .308 barrel and then use less powder or one that gives slower fps when the .300 Savage urge strikes. Two rifles for the cost of one barrel.
Yeah, the 308 is practical, but the 300 savage is just too cool. I don't actually "need" a rifle, as I have a 270. The new Ruger Hawkeye stocks feel good to me, does the Hunter Edge pattern McMillan feel similar? It looks like it might, and I don't know if I'll like the Ti stock. Also, think I should do a 10" twist? Thanks.
Cool also works.

Have both stocks and to me they don't feel similar.
To different stocks, but I like the Hunter's Edge about the best. The Ti stock is 'thicker'.

If doing it from scratch then I would do a 1-10" twist.
Very well, figured I might as well spring for the edge while I'm single, and don't have to be responsible.
Very well, figured I might as well spring for the edge while I'm single, and don't have to be responsible.

Good call but don't start out on the wrong foot when not single. Meaning if you want a edge stock get a edge stock single or not......just a thought.
Sounds like you've got it figured out. I'm about to take off to do some mule deer hunting with a cousin. Everytime I'm out hunting, I start daydreaming about a lighter rifle. That's alright, it takes my mind off the uninterested women. grin
What an interesting thread. 3 guys on the "Fire" all building 300 Savage rifles unbeknownst to one another. I never considered the 300 Savage anything more than a sleeper!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

DMc

Sounds like you've got it figured out. I'm about to take off to do some mule deer hunting with a cousin. Everytime I'm out hunting, I start daydreaming about a lighter rifle. That's alright, it takes my mind off the uninterested women. grin

Lol......keep huntin......grin
So I have a 722 in 300 Savage, but want to build something lighter. I was thinking of doing it faux-ti style.

Why not just sell the 722 and buy a Model 700 Mountain SS in 308? Much easier and save money too!

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-mountain-ss.aspx

The 300 Savage case was ahead of its time, regardless of whether the 308 offers more speed.
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
The 300 Savage case was ahead of its time, regardless of whether the 308 offers more speed.

It looks cool with a long seated Berger VLD hanging out of it. I load them that way for a 700 Classic.
Well seeings as the 300 Savage was the inspiration for the 308 I think you have a great idea.
© 24hourcampfire