Home
read this article a long time ago, had it in the back of my head for a long time.

.416x2 Beartooth:
http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/7

already have a .350Mag in a model 7KS and quite happy with it....not likely this would serve a specific need in the arsenal other than the cravings of a rifle loony.

anyone here built any .375 or larger shorties? if so, what were the details?

had also toyed with going .411x2 route on chambering/bore as i have a good stock of bullets in that size range for my .405win and a .414supermag carbine.

thinkin model 7 action, mid-weight 20" tube; Mickey stock in old school KS style; cerakoted, something that would come in at 6.5#-ish range (unglassed).

anyone here done (or contemplated) such a project?

i had a client back in the late 80's with such a rifle. it was a short action 700 in a really trim wood stock. it was chambered in 458x2 barnes with a short barrel. was a neat bolt action hot rodded 45-70.
The 450 Marlin is a good fit for short action, magnum bolt face actions. I've seen a few M70's so chambered.
Since the M7 action will accommodate the WSM family, how about a 416 WSM? (A 411 WSM would be even cooler!)

Didn't Lazzeroni produce SA versions of their larger cartridges? They might be a alternative.
Lazz's were on larger diameter cases....I want to say like .545 or .565? Something like that.

There is guy over on AR who has created an entire line of big bore wildcats. Rifles, dies, reamers, the whole shebang are quite readily available. He also has a line built on the WSSM. IIRC...9.3, 375, 416, 458, 470, and some form of 500. He then took these, and shot many, many large beasts with them to prove they work. B&M cartridges, worth looking into.
Lazzeroni has stopped production on all of his short-action rifles.
Since "rifle loonys" and "contemplated" are within your allowed requirements for replies..........YEP!

Seriously thinking of a SHORT 375 RUM wildcat......no reason
other than the cravings of a rifle loony.
too.

crazy

God Bless
Steve
Not Sure if it is here or AR, but you might look up a member tyler kemp? I think he's in the process of, or just completed a short barrel .375 WSM
was thumbing through the Wildcat Cartridges book where this a writeup on a similar variation called the 10.6x51.

load data showed this one was launching 270's at 2450-ish; 300's at 2300+fps, for about 3600ft-lbs of muzzle energy. in other words, .405 win power in a short action bolt gun.

still leaning towards the .411 bore over the 416...

think maybe after the Christmas frenzy is done, i'm gonna start nosing around for a used remmy 673 guide gun for a donor.

.458 socom?
Posted By: Con Re: short action big bore builds? - 12/04/12
Just about the entire B&M line fits this criteria. I built a 458B&M on my Ruger 350RemMag. In Australia, a few 458JCEs have now also been built on WSSM actions. Surprise is that with Lil-Gun, the 458JCE will exceed 375H&H factory ballistics with a 300gr projectile.
Cheers...
Con
458 WSM with 350 gr TSX's for all game.

Gunner
Posted By: 65BR Re: short action big bore builds? - 12/07/12
350 RM comes to mind, JB likes his 9.3 on that case.

A 338 Whisper aka BR case, spitting 180s at 2500+ would be a neat deer thumper in the woods, for a unique wildcat.

No those are more 'medium's" but....since you have a 350 already, no doubt an .40+ is a good step up....
B&M. Available from .366-.500.
458x2" American is another option, but for me the 358Win is plenty for a SA.

© 24hourcampfire