Home
Posted By: 30mmplumber Schneider Barrels? - 12/16/12
My riflesmith is telling me to install a Schneider barrel on my receiver,,,I had asked for a Douglas bbl, but they don't make what I wanted,,,,soooo, What can the 'fire tell me about Schneider Barrels,,,I never heard of them, and their web site is "under construction"....thanks, JH
Posted By: jwill350 Re: Schneider Barrels? - 12/16/12
I've only had one, but it was as good as any I've ever had. I wouldn't hesitate to use another.
Posted By: shooter42 Re: Schneider Barrels? - 12/16/12
according to mr schneider, he does't make any bad barrels. if the barrel doesn't shoot, it is you or you smith's fault. he did have the contract for the winchester custom shop at one time i believe.
Posted By: woodson Re: Schneider Barrels? - 12/16/12
I had a 280 AI made by Darrel Holland with a Schneider. Buy one with confidence.
I've had a handful (9 that I recall offhand)of Schneider barrels, and been around a couple hadfull more. Personally I totally love them! Far and away my fav!

Dober
Posted By: rockchuck828 Re: Schneider Barrels? - 12/17/12
Schneider is a better barrel to me than a Douglas 9 times out of 10, Dave Tubb uses them. great barrel !
Posted By: 30mmplumber Re: Schneider Barrels? - 12/17/12
Ok, everyone, thanks for the replies, I know I can count on the Campfire for good info.
Posted By: Popapi Re: Schneider Barrels? - 12/17/12
I'm finna see Karl built me a 25AUGHT6 with a Schneider. Will get back to report ASAP!!!!!
Posted By: Jack555 Re: Schneider Barrels? - 12/17/12
I have never heard anything bad about his product only that turn around time is insane. I guess from what other's have told me demand for his barrels grossly put paces his ability to make them. 12-14 weeks is my personal limit for waiting on a barrel. I went with Brux because they could meet that time frame. Brux is cut rifled and they make a great product. In the past I have used LW and I have never waited longer then 5 weeks for a LW barrel.

What does your smith build more of tactical type rifles or benchrest or F-Class etc???? I ask because each sub-set has preferred makers. These days you do not see Douglass Barrels on that many BR or F-Class rifles but you see them regularly on tactical builds and X-Course rifles that are bolt actions. You also see a lot on varmint rigs.

A long time ago before the military went to cold hammer forged barrels for their sniper platforms Douglas was prefered. I want to say it was the Marine Corp. that did the testing and thought that out of all the barrel maker's tested they had the best overall accuracy and barrel life out of Douglas. That was a long long long time ago though. A button rifled barrel can not meet the req. for the number of rounds that they demand it too shoot sub MOA. It was something like 10,000 rounds when they brought out the M40 then it was lowered to 5000 I think at some point. Remington,Ruger,Winchester,FN all use CHF barrels even on their rifles they sell to Military's.

I would love to try a Schneider(sp) barrel but I am not patient enough to wait for it. LOL Again never heard a bad word against his product. Brux will give you another barrel if your gunsmith installs it and it just wont settle down and shoot. Never had it happen to me but they even tell you that over the phone when you order.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Schneider Barrels? - 12/17/12
I've never heard anything negative about his barrels, Kenny Jarrett use to use alot of his tubes!
Posted By: 30mmplumber Re: Schneider Barrels? - 12/17/12
Jack555, since you ask, I will fill in some background. with ya'll telling me folks like Dave Tubb and Ken Jarrett have used Schneider bbls,,,I am sure all is well.
A friend gave me a beat-up Barreled Action, chambered in 30-06, the barrel was 'shot out',,so I wanted to turn it into a 35 Whelen and use it for huning. I have Douglas bbls on other rifles (M14 .308, Savage M10 .358) and they shoot great. Plus I live in MD, Douglas is made by some 'good 'ol boys' in WVA, right next door (kind of). The 'smith doing the work makes Bench-Rest rifles most of the time...so this should be easy for him.
Posted By: Ackleyman Re: Schneider Barrels? - 12/17/12
I have a Jarrett rifle built with a Schneider barrel. Many rounds down the tube and it still shoots sub 1/2" groups after 18 years. No complaints here.
Posted By: Ackman Re: Schneider Barrels? - 12/17/12
Schneiders are one of the very best.....good as anything you can get.
Posted By: IdahoCTD Re: Schneider Barrels? - 12/18/12
I've used about a dozen of them and all of them have been exceptional shooters. The last one I ordered took 8 weeks to get. It was a #5 contour 9 twist 7mm. I chambered it in 7-300wm and the first group out of it went 3/8".
Posted By: DickD Re: Schneider Barrels? - 12/19/12
Schneider makes all the barrels for the USMC M40A3 and M40A4 rifles. They did a test on two of his barrels once and still hade sub-moa accuracy after 14,000 rds out of each. They quit the test after they ran out of the ammo allocated for the project.
I have used his polygon barrels on all my 1000 yd bench rifles and silhouette rifles for over 20 years. Held a NBRSA 1000 yd. world record for score for over 3 1/2 years with one of them, and it had been set back 1/2" and rechambered for a fresh throat one time.
First class barrels, worth the wait, and the price.
Oops, I mean M40A3 and M40A5 rifles. There was no M40A4, I think that was the designation for a jeep mounted recoiless rifle.
Yes, just checked. Both the M40A2 and the M40A4 was the old designation for a 106mm recoiless rifle.
© 24hourcampfire