Home
Posted By: Aviator Manners MCS-SL ? - 12/17/12
Alot of support on the fire for Mcmillan....but has anyone tried the MCS-SL from manners they look like a well built stock and light Also ?

Posted By: Sendero_man Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 12/17/12
yes, very impressive and lots stronger than the Edge.

My new GAP non typical that is on order is getting a 100% carbon Fiber SL on it.
Posted By: Aviator Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 12/17/12
Sendero, what will that stock weigh with the carbon fiber fill ?
26 oz.

lifetime guarantee
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 12/17/12
I agree that a Manners stock would be a nice stock. Here's why I got a McMillan Edge instead:

1. Manners SL with 90% carbon fiber fill is $593 on the Manners website, $543 at stockysstocks.com. McMillan cost here at the 'fire is $518 (granted, only until the end of the year).

2. Manners SL weight is 27-28 oz. McMillan Edge weight 22-23 oz.

3. Manners will paint your stock in standard mil colors, but no speckletone finish. Manners will paint your stock a camo finish (as compared to a standard fill McMillan with molded in camo). I don't want to tote my sporter around with a camo finish, so that consideration is moot.

So there you go--Manners is heavier and more expensive. That's why I ordered the McMillan Edge.

On a side note, I'll never waste my money on a McMillan standard fill ever again. Those McMillan Edge stocks are that nice.
How does the edge fill hold up to a magnum rifle lets say 300 Ultra ?
-Edge is one layer of graphite and resins...

-Manners SL is three layers of aircraft grade carbon fiber.

The Hunters Edge is not available in molded colors or gel either.

Manners SL will work for all calibers. Edge won't.

SL wins in every way for me.

Ya get ya pay for... just saying.
Originally Posted by Aviator
How does the edge fill hold up to a magnum rifle lets say 300 Ultra ?

From McMillan's website: "Though an ultralight, it is still guaranteed to handle the recoil of all magnum cartridges thru .300 Win Mag recoil level." Sounds like 300 Ultra requires a different stock (and some Advil!).
Originally Posted by Sendero_man
-Edge is one layer of graphite and resins...

-Manners SL is three layers of aircraft grade carbon fiber.

The Hunters Edge is not available in molded colors or gel either.

Manners SL will work for all calibers. Edge won't.

SL wins in every way for me.

Ya get ya pay for... just saying.

Hey, I'm glad you support Manners. We all benefit from competition in the marketplace. And I grew up in Missouri, so I certainly have no problem with anyone supporting Missouri USA-made products. The turkey choke on my shotgun is an Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike specifically because they are made in Missouri. And because they shoot great patterns out to 40 yards.

If Manners matched McMillan's stock weight and price, I'd likely get one. I was just explaining to the OP why I didn't get a Manners, not why you shouldn't get one.
no worries friend. And I was explaining why I would buy the Manners over the Edge...

that is what is great about the country we live in.

I myself would rather gain 2 oz and spend 20 bucks more.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 12/17/12
The paint colors is a moot point to me. Paint is paint as far as I'm concerened. If starting from scratch and building light edge fill or manners.......

If building a midweight say 8lbs or so I'm going gelcoat. I've painted stocks and just don't like them like a do the swirls or molded in camo.

I don't get the comment about waisting money by not going edge? Sometimes a Lil heavier stock is better when balance is a concern. To each his own though
Posted By: learning Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 12/17/12
How about some discussion on the shape of the Manners?
How does it compare to the McMillan Hunter's Edge or the Forbes?
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 12/17/12
Alot of support on the fire for Mcmillan....but has anyone tried the MCS-SL from manners they look like a well built stock and light Also ?

I've shot that stock and I also own two Hunters EDGE stocks. The SL fit me better when I shot it prone than the EDGE stock. It's also slightly wider on the bottom. I like it a lot. My next build is going into a Manners SL.
I'm glad I started this thread ! Alot of good comments...I would like to handle the Manners to see how it fits, Mcmillan has alot of different styles to choose from so they have the edge there...
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 12/18/12
Originally Posted by Kaleb
I don't get the comment about waisting money by not going edge? Sometimes a Lil heavier stock is better when balance is a concern. To each his own though

That was me. I only bring the difference up because the Edge stock I've had is much stiffer, with a better "feel" than the standard fill I've had. Really has nothing to do with weight.

I agree there are times when more weight would benefit a rifle's balance. In those instances I would choose a wood or laminate stock. But an arctic camo stock would be cool also...

For the record, I acknowledge that I am often the odd duck.
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 12/18/12
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

I've shot that stock and I also own two Hunters EDGE stocks. The SL fit me better when I shot it prone than the EDGE stock. It's also slightly wider on the bottom. I like it a lot. My next build is going into a Manners SL.

Scenarshooter--was the SL as stiff (or more stiff) than a McM Edge?
Posted By: SLM Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 12/18/12
Have a Manners-SL ordered for a Brux #3. Was not able to handle one before but it looked like what I was wanting. Time will tell.
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 12/18/12
no worries friend. And I was explaining why I would buy the Manners over the Edge...

Manners makes it easy for me to choose an EDGE every time.
They don't offer it in left hand. mad

5 or 6 ounces is the difference in weight, not 2.

That too is significant to me as is the fact that buying a McMillan helps support this great website.
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 12/18/12
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas

On a side note, I'll never waste my money on a McMillan standard fill ever again. Those McMillan Edge stocks are that nice.

Amen!
Posted By: Sendero_man Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 12/18/12
Originally Posted by nsaqam

Manners makes it easy for me to choose an EDGE every time.
They don't offer it in left hand. mad

5 or 6 ounces is the difference in weight, not 2.

That too is significant to me as is the fact that buying a McMillan helps support this great website.

Actually, my Edge stock weighed 23.6 oz

and my new Manners SL weighs 26 oz.

MY BAD !! whistle
How the hell could you forget about that .4 ounce?
Posted By: Okbow87 Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 12/18/12
I would dare say that the sl is more suited for a krieger #3 at the smallest, and even better for a krieger #4(bartlein #3). Those extra 2-4 ounces will equal better balance with a #4 over a hunters edge.
Posted By: upper_deck Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 12/18/12
Manner has a few SL's under their ready to ship line up for $508.

I used a edge on my last build and have no complaints. One my next build I am going to try a SL, in fact I'm going to order one tomorrow. Wish I needed a SA.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 12/18/12
What is the weight difference between a Manners 90% carbon fiber SL vs. the 100% carbon fiber SL that Sendero Man discussed?
Posted By: wageslave Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 12/18/12
Originally Posted by SLM
How the hell could you forget about that .4 ounce?

With all of these wonderful accolades for the Manners, I think you should be ready to ship me that other stock.............
'laffin, even trade for the 22-250. grin

Be my luck, i'll be the one to hate it.
Posted By: wageslave Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 12/18/12
spoiled sport.
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 12/18/12
[Linked Image]

Here's a pic of that stock....
Posted By: ctsmith Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 12/18/12
I've talked to three reputable Gunsmiths lately who specialize in bedding. I asked their thoughts on Edge vs standard fill McMillans. I did not lead them in any direction. Each one preferred the standard fill. They all used the term "more solid" when expressing their preference for standard fill. I never clued them in to the fact that "solid" was exactly the reason of my inquiry. This is my most recent Edge stock. I noticed a bubble in the paint. When I cut away the bubble, this is what I found. It was no big deal to fill with epoxy but it makes you wonder how many voids are in there.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SLM Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 12/19/12
scenar', the fore end looks a lot "thicker" in that pic than other pics I have seen. You mentioned it is a wider than the Edge Compact, is it a lot "thicker" all the way through the stock?

Thanks
Posted By: Okbow87 Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 12/19/12
I would compare it more to a mcm sporter.
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 12/19/12
Originally Posted by SLM
scenar', the fore end looks a lot "thicker" in that pic than other pics I have seen. You mentioned it is a wider than the Edge Compact, is it a lot "thicker" all the way through the stock?

Thanks

No expert as I've only handled the SL once and had a Classic Edge to compare it to when I picked up the SL but it sort of felt like a Classic with a cheekpiece.
Posted By: Aviator Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 12/19/12
Nice Muley !
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 12/19/12
at the shot show last year the manners guys blew me off to talk to some gun writer.... hs precition and Mcmillan spent as much time as i wanted. my custumers get Mcmillan or Hs Precition. edge stocks are the best peirod. 95 % of the rifles i build are of standard cal or sencable wildcats..
Posted By: ctsmith Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 12/19/12
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
edge stocks are the best peirod.

Any comments on my post above? Why is edge the best? Based on my experience which lead to confirmations from others, the Edge, like everything else in life, is a give and take. Its giving a lighter weight stock at the expense of a good solid fill. Its up to the individual to decide what they value the most.

Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 12/20/12
Originally Posted by ctsmith
edge stocks are the best peirod.

Any comments on my post above? Why is edge the best? Based on my experience which lead to confirmations from others, the Edge, like everything else in life, is a give and take. Its giving a lighter weight stock at the expense of a good solid fill. Its up to the individual to decide what they value the most.

+1 peirod
Posted By: SLM Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 12/20/12
Originally Posted by Okbow87
I would compare it more to a mcm sporter.

I was told the width at the front action screw was 1.780" and 1.650 at the front swivel stud. Does that sound about right?
Posted By: hrnhuntr Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 12/20/12
MCS-SL that I had weighed 28.5 ounces and I didn't like the ergonomics of the stock so I sold it here on the "Fire". For a "lightweight" stock I found it to be cumbersome.
Posted By: Okbow87 Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 12/20/12
SLM - I do not have one on hand at the moment to give you those numbers. I have shot several rifles with them and have one on order right now. I do not claim to be the expert on all things stock, but I have handled and shot several of them.

I would classify this stock as a light to mid weight option for somebody that wants a light to medium weight long range hunter. Like I said earlier I think a #4 Krieger is the optimal size barrel for the fore end. It is good from positional shooting, but has a big advantage over other lightweights from prone. The grip is not very open and has a slight palm swell that makes it nice from prone. Also the fore end is not very slim, so it rest across a pack nicely.

If you are looking for a stock that has a slim forend and open grip to be a good handle for off hand and positional shots, this is not it IMHO. You would be much better served with a mcm mountain rifle or hunters edge. This is all just my opinion... Others may have different feelings.
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 12/20/12
I've handled a few Manners, but never fired a rifle with one. They seemed ok, the fit and finish didn't seem near as nice as the Mcmillans I have handled/used though. Hate to say it, but they felt like a Mcmillan knockoff.

Posted By: Arac Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 12/21/12
I've been following this thread with great interest. Thanks for all of the good posts and info.
Posted By: SLM Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 12/21/12
Thanks Ok', sounds about like what I was looking for. Just nervous about it being to "chunky" feeling.
Posted By: learning Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 12/21/12
Interesting. From looking at pictures it appears to have a fair amount of drop at the comb.
I wouldn't have thought it would work so well from the prone.

The Compact works well for me prone, but I find the Forbes stock has become my favorite. It just fits me really well. Have you ever tried one? If so, how would you compare it to the Manners?

I would like to get the Forbes inletted for 700's and 70's with perhaps just a bit wider forend...

Posted By: Sendero_man Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 01/09/13
You lefties have a Lightweight Manners now !

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3806770&#Post3806770

MCS-EH3

looks like it fits the ticket !
Posted By: Grand Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 01/09/13
I own a few Edge stocks. For a lightweight hunting rifle the Hunter's Edge is hard to beat for weight, handling and stiffness. My only complaint is that the forearm is a bit narrow.

I own a few Manner's as well, though I have not run the SL. My only complaint has been lack of good grip texture or checkering. Workmanship is on par with McM.

True - the Edge weighs a few ounces less, but it gets there with a 1/2" pad and very narrow forearm. Add the pad and wider forearm and your back to 26oz.

My solution was to order a Classic Edge. Only drawback I can see so far is there is miminmal thickness to run Badger or similar DBM.
Posted By: SLM Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 01/09/13
Dammit, have a SL ordered and the EH -3 looks like it will be lighter.
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 01/09/13

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3806770&#Post3806770

MCS-EH3

Thanks for the shout out for us lefties!

Bob
Posted By: Sendero_man Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 01/09/13
Originally Posted by Akbob5

MCS-EH3

Thanks for the shout out for us lefties!

Bob

grin
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 01/11/13

MCS-EH3

This the stock on the new GAP Extreme Hunter?
Posted By: Sendero_man Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 01/11/13
Not sure, I ordered mine with the SL. These weren't out yet.

Don't know if GAP will use it or go with the SL...

Posted By: a10xrifle Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 01/11/13
SL on the Xtreme Hunter. Mainly due to the increased strength. 3 oz weight difference was not worth it to sacrafice the rugedness.

These New EH serries stocks are really nice but the fill is seriously ultra light. Im still a fan of the 90% CF shell and std light fill its indestructable!!!!

G.A. Precision
Posted By: a10xrifle Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 01/11/13
I agree that a Manners stock would be a nice stock. Here's why I got a McMillan Edge instead:

1. Manners SL with 90% carbon fiber fill is $593 on the Manners website, $543 at stockysstocks.com. McMillan cost here at the 'fire is $518 (granted, only until the end of the year).

3. Manners will paint your stock in standard mil colors, but no speckletone finish. Manners will paint your stock a camo finish (as compared to a standard fill McMillan with molded in camo). I don't want to tote my sporter around with a camo finish, so that consideration is moot.

So there you go--Manners is heavier and more expensive. That's why I ordered the McMillan Edge.

Not sure who you talked to At Manners but the SL with 90% shell which is the only way they come is $495 + Shipping always has been.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 01/11/13
Thanks for the info, George. I look forward to receiving my new Non typical .260 this year. You can thank Pat for that one!!!
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 01/12/13
Originally Posted by a10xrifle
SL on the Xtreme Hunter. Mainly due to the increased strength. 3 oz weight difference was not worth it to sacrafice the rugedness.

These New EH serries stocks are really nice but the fill is seriously ultra light. Im still a fan of the 90% CF shell and std light fill its indestructable!!!!

G.A. Precision

That's a bummer to hear George, as I really like the size and shape of the MCS EH-4. I wonder if one of those can be had in their 90% CF config.

John
Posted By: ctsmith Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 01/12/13
Yet another (very) reputable gunsmith shying away from light fill. I see a trend!
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 01/12/13

G.A. Precision

Maybe I missed it, but is the Xtreme Hunter a new rifle from GAP sort of like the Non-Typical??
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 01/12/13
Yeah, in 6.5 SAUM.
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 01/12/13
Got it, isn't that the Sendero_man Special:)
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 01/12/13
OK, I'm confused by Manners website as I know nothing about their stocks (so please be gentle laugh ). The MCS-SL is listed as having a 100% carbon fiber shell, and then in their online order they have an $85 90% carbon fiber option. What does this mean?

If one were to go through their stock configurator, and chose the MCS-SL ($495), the 90% carbon fiber ($85), and two studs ($13) the total would be the $593 from above. Is the 90% carbon fiber option not really an option on the MCS-SL?
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 01/12/13
I'm going to stop up at the manners shop and see the stocks, and see how they compare to the McMillan's I have...

Spot
Posted By: Sendero_man Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 01/12/13
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley

G.A. Precision

Maybe I missed it, but is the Xtreme Hunter a new rifle from GAP sort of like the Non-Typical??

yup.. wink
Posted By: Grand Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 01/12/13
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
OK, I'm confused by Manners website as I know nothing about their stocks (so please be gentle laugh ). The MCS-SL is listed as having a 100% carbon fiber shell, and then in their online order they have an $85 90% carbon fiber option. What does this mean?

If one were to go through their stock configurator, and chose the MCS-SL ($495), the 90% carbon fiber ($85), and two studs ($13) the total would be the $593 from above. Is the 90% carbon fiber option not really an option on the MCS-SL?

Correct,the 90% carbon bump is a surcharge on standard weight stocks, not the 100% carbon stock.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 01/12/13
Thanks Grand.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 01/15/13
at the shot show last year the manners guys blew me off to talk to some gun writer.... hs precition and Mcmillan spent as much time as i wanted. my custumers get Mcmillan or Hs Precition. edge stocks are the best peirod. 95 % of the rifles i build are of standard cal or sencable wildcats..

crazy crazy

Might want to read your post, I have no idea what you just said. Your computer doesn't have spell check?
Posted By: JBO69 Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 02/13/13
Any one receive their EH3?????? Just ordered a SL.
Posted By: tmanners Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 02/15/13
Originally Posted by JBO69
Hi, We just started taken orders for the new elite hunter stocks the week after the shot show, there is a bunch in system that are fast tracked that should be getting out in the next few weeks. Thank you very much,
Posted By: tmanners Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 02/15/13
Hi Rainierrifleco, Just saw your post, Sorry you feel we blew you off, i wish that you would have brought that to may attention at that time. We pride our self on customer service and that along with quality, is our top 2 priorities. Bottom line is, if not for customers we would not have a company. At the Shot Show we have a very small booth which is only 10x10, we try to man it with a least 3 guys all the time, but are usually swamped all day. Hopefully one of these years the Shot Show will allow us to get a bigger space so that we can take more staff, but I don't think that is going to happen until they change locations. If you would like to discuss or stocks I would be more than happen to spend all the time you would like on the phone, also if you would like to try out some of our stocks let me know and I will get you some production samples so you can to put them through the ringer as you see fit.. Thank you very much,
Posted By: SLM Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 02/15/13
Originally Posted by tmanners
[quote=rainierrifleco]at the shot show last year the manners guys blew me off to talk to some gun writer.... hs precition and Mcmillan spent as much time as i wanted. my custumers get Mcmillan or Hs Precition. edge stocks are the best peirod. 95 % of the rifles i build are of standard cal or sencable wildcats..
Hi Rainierrifleco, Just saw your post, Sorry you feel we blew you off, i wish that you would have brought that to may attention at that time. We pride our self on customer service and that along with quality, is our top 2 priorities. Bottom line is, if not for customers we would not have a company. At the Shot Show we have a very small booth which is only 10x10, we try to man it with a least 3 guys all the time, but are usually swamped all day. Hopefully one of these years the Shot Show will allow us to get a bigger space so that we can take more staff, but I don't think that is going to happen until they change locations. If you would like to discuss or stocks I would be more than happen to spend all the time you would like on the phone, also if you would like to try out some of our stocks let me know and I will get you some production samples so you can to put them through the ringer as you see fit.. Thank you very much, [/quote]

That is customer service.
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 02/15/13
We pride our self on customer service and that along with quality, is our top 2 priorities. Bottom line is, if not for customers we would not have a company.

Welcome to the 'fire Tom. That being said, you guys do need to work on your customer service. I emailed you guys last year with a couple of questions and was ready to order, and never got a response. Ordered a McMillan shortly thereafter...

Posted By: Sendero_man Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 02/15/13
I have a few McMillan stocks and now, mostly Manners stocks. I am very happy with the Great customer service MCS (Manners) has and have never had a problem. The stocks are incredibly tough and build very well.

Tom and crew have always taken care of my orders, answered many questions, dealt with add-ons and changes mid stream. I have all the confidence in the world to recommend them and their products.

I will be at Scenarshooters in April for the Icebreaker # 3 if any one wants to look at or handle them in person. Or if you are coming thru the 307, fire me a PM and I can show ya in person.
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 02/15/13
Originally Posted by SLM
[quote=rainierrifleco]at the shot show last year the manners guys blew me off to talk to some gun writer.... hs precition and Mcmillan spent as much time as i wanted. my custumers get Mcmillan or Hs Precition. edge stocks are the best peirod. 95 % of the rifles i build are of standard cal or sencable wildcats..
Hi Rainierrifleco, Just saw your post, Sorry you feel we blew you off, i wish that you would have brought that to may attention at that time. We pride our self on customer service and that along with quality, is our top 2 priorities. Bottom line is, if not for customers we would not have a company. At the Shot Show we have a very small booth which is only 10x10, we try to man it with a least 3 guys all the time, but are usually swamped all day. Hopefully one of these years the Shot Show will allow us to get a bigger space so that we can take more staff, but I don't think that is going to happen until they change locations. If you would like to discuss or stocks I would be more than happen to spend all the time you would like on the phone, also if you would like to try out some of our stocks let me know and I will get you some production samples so you can to put them through the ringer as you see fit.. Thank you very much, [/quote]

That is customer service.

Tom Manners is one of nicest, most down to earth and honest people I've ever met. I can guarantee you he would never "blow" anyone off.

Call him, meet him and I promise you he'll get you fixed up and answer any questions.
Posted By: SLM Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 02/15/13
They were very helpful every time I called them . Never spoke to Tom but the lady was very good at answering my questions or getting an answer and calling me back.

Can't wait to try the SL
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 02/16/13

I will be at Scenarshooters in April for the Icebreaker # 3 if any one wants to look at or handle them in person. Or if you are coming thru the 307, fire me a PM and I can show ya in person.

Sendero,

I'll be in Buffalo WY this October for a hunt, would love to meet up with you. Maybe I'll bring my SL stocked rifle for that trip and we can compare.

Marty
Posted By: JBO69 Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 02/16/13
Originally Posted by JBO69
Hi, We just started taken orders for the new elite hunter stocks the week after the shot show, there is a bunch in system that are fast tracked that should be getting out in the next few weeks. Thank you very much,

With the recent price promotion on the EH series, had to order another one.
Posted By: Sendero_man Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 02/16/13
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

Sendero,

I'll be in Buffalo WY this October for a hunt, would love to meet up with you. Maybe I'll bring my SL stocked rifle for that trip and we can compare.

Marty

Sounds good... Fire me a pm when it is closer. Look forward to it
Posted By: Pstores Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 03/09/13
I know how some people feel about Manners Customer Service. I sent an email and Didnt expect to hear back right away. A few days later I got an email and voicemail back from Tom Manners. He needed to know more info to be able to completely give me a good recommendation for what I am looking for. I promptly sent an email back. And call a few days. Never talking to him but his voicemail leaving messages. Today I talked with a Gal in the office that could not give me a clue t help me. I asked if there was anyone that used their stock in Minnesota or Wisconsin she just said maybe and Didn't bother giving me any numbers. I asked again and same response. Maybe but I am not sure. And if there is they are just small smiths. All I wanted was to see and maybe handle one. If they could have provided me with phone numbers I could have called them my self to find out if they had any. He'll, I couldn't even get any info from her in any regards. She could answer any of my questions. And it was an hour before the close. When I told her I wanted to find out some info so I could place an order she was unable to help. Their hours are till 4:30 cst. It was 3:45 cst. If they are such a Small company I would have thought that after Tom got my email and several voicemails from me regarding purchasing 2 midrange and 2 at his upper end price range he wold have either called me or had someone call me. After alot of research I felt that they where the wat to go. But, starting to think that maybe I may have been mistaken. At $600 a pop for two and $900 a pop for the other two I want to buy from someone who cares about the customer. All of which I will be purchasing in the next 12 months. I hate when you seem to find a good product and call to ask questions before you order and people haven't got a clue what your talking about.
Or maybe they just don't care enough.
I just retread and hate autocorrect..
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 03/09/13
Would you want a company you bought a product from giving out your personal info to some random dude that called asking for it? Didn't think so.
I should be fair and post the actual emails. The one below was emailed the same day as his response. As he stated he would try to call me on Wednesday. never heard a word. Even after I left messages.

Thanks for the return call today. I have 4 rifles that will eventually get new stocks. 7mm-08 and 2 .260 rem. The last is a Weatherby .270 wsm. Some have scopes already. Eventually they will all have 2.5-10x42 on them. Two for now will have 3-9x40 but will eventually have the 2.5-10x42. I am looking for the 7mm-08 and both .260s to have the same stocks and optics. So, all three are more or less exactly the same. I should be working alot of overtime this year so I am going to finish off my favorite rifles. Have been looking at the Mcmillan Edge and yours. Is there somewhere in the St.Paul area I could go look at your stocks? If not would it be possible to send me one EH and an SL to look at if I pay the shipping and a deposit on them? The barrel contour on the 7mm-08 will be #3 .625 I believe. Have to check with my smith to be sure that was what was ordered. One .260 is a #4 .670 and the other will be a #3 .630. The .260 I want to keep as light as possible but still have great integrity. The .270wsm is a factory barrel and most likely stay that way. I borrowed out my micrometer so I can't measure that. Anyway the best time to get a hold of me is generally after 3:30. Or I could call at noon. Thank you so much for your time and help.
Paul St Ores
651 226 xxxx
PS the .260's, one is a 700 Rem Mountain Rifle DM. The other is a Rem 700 CDL DM

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 5, 2013, at 1:38 PM, T MANNERS <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Paul, Sorry for the delay, I just left you a voice mail on your phone. What type of scope are you going to be using, it will determin how high we need to get your cheek. There are three stock that I think will fit your needs, the mcs-sl, mcs-eh2 and the mcs-eh3. Are of these are more of amountain rifle stock. Each has special variation built in for different needs. I will try to get a hold of you end of the day or tomorrow. thank you very much,

Thomas A Manners
Manners Composite Stocks LLC
1232 Swift St.
North Kansas City, MO. 64116
816-283-3334

Subject: Remington 700 sps 7mm-08
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 19:11:33 -0600
To: [email protected]

Hi,
I am having a gun put together. So now am trying to put some money together for the stock. The barrel will be a #3 contour by Lilja at 23" long. The gun will be used in Northern Wisconsin Woods for stalking and stand hunting. I would like to keep the weight down somewhat. Like the Mountian rifle profiles. Which models would you suggest? Thanks for your time.
Paul St Ores
651 226 xxx
Posted By: Mgw619 Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 03/09/13
Sounds like you got a load off what we like to call the "bull spit". If you paid him as much money as I have payed mcmillian for a stock, then I think you owe the guy a stern call to him to get his schit inline. Regardless, don't let any of these guys jerk you around too bad.... It's a damn stock that they are producing for you and most likely producing for you after you have already given them a deposit. So they have your cash. Don't lay around like a lump on a log. Be proactive, and make sure you are getting exactly what you want
Praire goat, no but if I was in business I wouldn't mind them having customers contact me. Or have me contact them. I was not looking for personal info. I was looking for companies or professionals that use their product. Or, at the least the information I was seeking. If you read the email exchange I never asked for anyone's personal info. I asked if there was anywhere I could go look at their product. Like maybe Cabelas, Almans, or Scheel out of Eau Claire Wi.
Mgw619, no he doesn't have any of my money.... I really had decided on one but was looking for more info first before the purchase. I can understand the what the other poster had to say.
They just make it hard to buy thier product. I asked it they had other models besides the $900.00 one for a remington 700 cdl detachable magazine and I could hear the blank stare on the other end of the phone. Everyone that had a clue must have left early Friday.
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 03/09/13

Not sure who you talked to At Manners but the SL with 90% shell which is the only way they come is $495 + Shipping always has been.

Thanks for the correction. The website "Services/Price list" page now clearly spells out the prices also. http://mannersstocks.com/services-price-list/. So $495 plus $13 for 2 swivel studs installed, I think.

I really like the look of the new EH series also. I will look forward to seeing some EH3s with a barreled action in them!

Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 03/09/13
Originally Posted by Pstores
They just make it hard to buy thier product. I asked it they had other models besides the $900.00 one for a remington 700 cdl detachable magazine and I could hear the blank stare on the other end of the phone. Everyone that had a clue must have left early Friday.

I don't think the problem is on Manners end.
Posted By: Pstores Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 03/10/13
So explian that? Who's end and why?
I also asked which stock for a hinged floor plate BDL would be best for a carrying around rifle. Mountian Rifle style type. Light weight using a 42mm scope. Still no clue. See some models bring your cheek up higher than others. She had no idea which one would workout the best for a 42mm. I am sure someone their does. But, how do you get to that person. You call and leave voicemails with o call back. You send an email with the information they request and still never hear back from them. Maybe since I am just looking at spending $3000.00 I am just a small fry.
Posted By: SLM Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 03/10/13
I only spent $500 +and they were very helpful. Did you read the descriptions on each stock? To me it sounds like you want the SL.
Not sure about the SL or the MCS EH line. Basically just needed to know which cheek piece is best with the 42mm scope. And what is the advantages and disadvantages between the SL line and the MCS EH line.
Oh and what they would recommend for what my criteria is.
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 03/10/13
I also asked which stock for a hinged floor plate BDL would be best for a carrying around rifle. Mountian Rifle style type. Light weight using a 42mm scope. Still no clue. See some models bring your cheek up higher than others. She had no idea which one would workout the best for a 42mm. I am sure someone their does. But, how do you get to that person. You call and leave voicemails with o call back. You send an email with the information they request and still never hear back from them. Maybe since I am just looking at spending $3000.00 I am just a small fry.

My thoughts:
1. Read the descriptions of the individual stocks on the website. That should answer many of your questions.

2. Calm down. You emailed them Tuesday, don't hear back right away, and put a defamatory post about their customer service on the internet Friday? Manners is a good company, and will get back with you.

3. They may not have been able to decipher your writing. I'm no grammar Nazi, but your posts read like they were written by a 9 year old girl hopped up on Mountain Dew.
Posted By: SLM Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 03/10/13
The EH-2 and 3 both say they have a little higher cheek for larger objective scopes.
http://mannersstocks.com/hunting/
Pg I emailed them last week. Tom even apologized in getting back to me so late. I called Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Tom emailed me Tuesday for additional info in which I gave him. So, why could he have anyone else return my calls? Gave up and try to talk to someone else at the company that could Not answer any questions. Even though I called during normal business hours. Know about my grammar most of it is because auto correct. I did Graduate form a good college with almost a 3.5. I can bet you didn't. I also hold multiple Dregees. I am not used to this IPad correcting things and making them incorrect. And did not read over it till later. I think I posted that after my post. I supposed I could have done an edit... But, was busy this week. So, not only you are an a@$, but you must have had issues with your mother from the sexest remark you made. If you have had any college level psychology you would know that people that make such remarks has maternal needs issues.
Thank you SLM that was what I am looking at exactly. Those two or the SL. Anyway we will see if I hear from the this week. Otherwise I will just order the McMillans. Krieger has a 9 month wait on their barrels. And the Shilen will be alittle wait as will the lilja. But, the Shilen will be here first and that one needs a stock the most. So need to get it ordered. Thanks again for your suggestions.
And btw I am calm... Nothing to get excited about.... Why would you think I am not calm. You can not read emotion into texts, emails, or blogs. Unless people use emoticons or capital letters in which I had not used either at all.
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 03/10/13
You sound like a 9 year old girl on Mountain Dew because of the way you flit back and forth between multiple subjects in the same paragraph. Could also be a 9 year old boy, if you prefer.

Thanks for the Freshman Pysch diagnosis of my issues. I'll take it under advice and rush straight out to see my shrink.

If you really want to try a stock, call Manners and order one of their in-stock stocks, or www.stockystocks.com has SL stocks available as well.

Best thing to do is post less, read more. Quite a bit of the info you are looking for is available in this very thread.
If I would offer up an idea of what your issues are. It would have to be Passive Aggressive Disorder. That is effected by not achieving Secure Attachment Status with the Maturnal Figure in your life. Compounded by LMS, Little Mans Syndrome. Thus leaving you with your severe insecurities and low self esteem. So, then you put others down while hiding behind a keyboard. But, as long as it makes you feel better and whole again, have at it.

And I did do alot of reading. But none offer up which cheek height is best for a 42mm scope. And if you read my emails I did offer to buy a couple to try out, if they could not provide me with a local business contact.
I just figured after the emails and 4 calls and voicemails I would just order one Friday afternoon. I was going to order the EH but need just one piece of info to do so. That was which one would be best for a 42mm size scope on a Rem 700 sps with a #3 contour or .625. When I could not get that answered, i gave up on the order phase. Then I asked about my Remington 700 DBM's in .260. Still no info I gave up. Left my number as I did all last week. But, I have little confidence that they will call back. Well, there is always McMillan.
Posted By: Tanner Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 03/10/13
Can someone give me a mental health analysis too, please?
Well, I was not the one that start the name calling and such.. It was your friend...and in my humble opinion has no place here. But, that is just my opinion. So, I guess you two are going to gang up on me now. Since you are friends and all. Very mature....
Be nice to keep subjects on topic and not try to derail them....

I completely understand how this guy felt... Although I can't buy an HS Precision, I will most likely buy all McMillans... So, I guess I am done with this thread as I feel the maturity level maybe slipping.
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 03/10/13

I completely understand how this guy felt... Although I can't buy an HS Precision, I will most likely buy all McMillans... So, I guess I am done with this thread as I feel the maturity level maybe slipping.

Thats pretty darn funny coming from the guy that has posted like 20 times give or take saying the same schitt over and over again.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 03/10/13
I just figured after the emails and 4 calls and voicemails I would just order one Friday afternoon. I was going to order the EH but need just one piece of info to do so. That was which one would be best for a 42mm size scope on a Rem 700 sps with a #3 contour or .625. When I could not get that answered, i gave up on the order phase. Then I asked about my Remington 700 DBM's in .260. Still no info I gave up. Left my number as I did all last week. But, I have little confidence that they will call back. Well, there is always McMillan.

Has it occurred to you that all people are not the same, and the same stock with the same raised comb will likely place people's eyes at different heights? You've gotta play with different height rings in addition to your stock and scope, to find the best solution for your individual needs. I've not yet had a stock manufacturer tell me exactly what would work for me either...
Kimber yes I had thought of that. I do have a few sets of rings and mounts from various manufactures. Mounts will even make a slight difference. I am just looking for the starting point with their stocks. That was why I want to get some in my hands. However that was a good thought though. Easy to over look that. With the 42mm I have to use Rings on the higher side. Scope may clear but bolt wont. Maybe I'll order 3 or so. And return what I don't like. Not sure.... Hard to choose between them and McMillan....
Posted By: tmanners Re: Manners MCS-SL ? - 03/11/13
Kimber yes I had thought of that. I do have a few sets of rings and mounts from various manufactures. Mounts will even make a slight difference. I am just looking for the starting point with their stocks. That was why I want to get some in my hands. However that was a good thought though. Easy to over look that. With the 42mm I have to use Rings on the higher side. Scope may clear but bolt wont. Maybe I'll order 3 or so. And return what I don't like. Not sure.... Hard to choose between them and McMillan....
Hi pstores, Just came across the updated post on this thread, the office girls should have offered to send you out a few sample stocks, they are not inleted but this will give you a good idea of the cheek height, this does not cost anything, we just ask that you fully insure them when you ship them back. This is the best way to determine if a stock will fit your needs, there is so many variables it is hard to tell someone over the phone what would be best. Thank you
© 24hourcampfire