Home
I have my dads custom built 22-250 and want to get it appraised. It has a mauser single shot action, a target barrel (unknown maker) and a R.A. Litschert Spot Shot scope. The stock looks hand made. It is brown and yellow checkered geometric shapes. I have no idea what it is worth and would like to find a professional appraiser.
Welcome to the fire.

What part of NW IL? I'm from Freeport (live in WA now) and might be able to help ya but I'm guessing you're going to have better luck in the Rockford area.

Got any pics you can post or any other info on it, 'smith, etc.? Just a guess but it is probably not worth your $$ getting it appraised- I picked up a flawless unfired custom Mauser for $325 and they range anywhere from that price range on up. More info and pics here would be a good place to start and get people here helping you to have a better idea of its value.
The receiver and scope may have some value. I have a similar rifle built by Hervey Lovell in 22 Varminter. It has a really nice walnut stock, but nobody has shown much interest in it.
Here are some pics of my dads custom 22-250. I was told by a friend that it has a laminated stock. The Mauser action is a wz.29.

Attached picture 22.250 001.JPG
Attached picture 22.250 003.JPG
Attached picture 22.250 004.JPG
Attached picture 22.250 005.JPG
Attached picture 22.250 006.JPG
I don't think it is a single shot receiver. It may have a single shot follower.Nice looking old beast.
This is from another forum that saw your pics.

Posted 14 January 2013 01:48
Polish WZ29, Standard 98 Mauser, not a single shot, although FN did made solid bottom actions and so did Mauser. Polish Mausers are among the best.

I heard that rifle has killed boat loads of fox and coyotes! Would make a good stand gun. It can be made into a repeater with very little trouble I bet.. Nice gun
Yeah, I was wrong it is not a single shot action. It is just set up that way.
If you are in Annawan, you're just outside "gun valley". I'd start with a gun shop in Geneseo.
Never heard of gun valley before. And the only retail gun shop in geneseo that I knew of closed years ago. There are a couple of gun manufacturing facilities in town. Is that what you mean?
You're only an hour from Shabbona. Carters is a nice shop.

John should be able to help, especially if it were an IL smith that did the work.

Travis
© 24hourcampfire