Home
Kinda cool looking, a little spendy but why not??

http://blog.kuiu.com/
Ti- SLR $5600

[Linked Image]

So, a $600 Mickey Edge, a $700 installed barrel and what else? Ti is spendy but it ain't THAT expensive. Makes a GAP Surgeon look cheap. Also, why would a no-schidt gunsmith choose to live in MD? Why not just move to Boston?
Hmmm, I just bought a pre-owned U/L rifle much like that, built here in BC, by a couple of the best 'smiths we have, one is a former guide for sheep, etc and has major experience and this cost $3700.00 to build.

I bought it, test fired, for much less than that and it is on a sts Mod. 7 action, at 5 lbs. 6 oz. bare, with a custom match Gaillard sts bbl. in 7-08.

I ordered a Talley 1-pc. base today from Prophet River, a major Canadian Talley dealer and outstanding firearms retailer and will install a good scope, all up it will go about 6-2 and that is light enough for me.

Frankly, after Hairston's quiet move of production from here in Vancouver, to China and with his prices, hype and the whole "feel"of his operation, I would not buy a mitten from KUIU and this rifle seems over-priced to me.

Funny, I have known a lot of BC-AB-Yukon-NWT guides over the past half century and NONE of them looked like the dude in that photo.......

P.T. Barnum..............
I would simply buy a NULA.
I'm always suspect when they won't tell you who's barrel they use....
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Kinda cool looking, a little spendy but why not??

http://blog.kuiu.com/

Something doesn't add up with this rifle...
I was kidding, I don't see how they come up with that price either - unless you pay for that funky camo job. I think the action is a Pierce Engineering which is nice and they do make a titanium but man thats a lot of coin.
If it came with the swaro its not too far out of range...but I came up with around $3k in parts.
It's not too far off from what very top builders charge for a similar rifle, but they guarantee 1/2 MOA. I wouldn't pay that, I'd just have one built, which I did few years ago that isn't to far off from this save the Titanium action. I had about $3500 into mine with the parts and gunsmithing with an accuracy guarantee and warranty. You are basically paying over $2K to be part of the KUIU club with this thing.
Exactly, that is my point and I cannot see WHY any hunter would want to do that. I can go on three separate week-long hunts in southern BC for the extra cost of that rifle over the fine little one I just bought...and, I even have a "camo" stock on mine, a Micky! wink
Differant strokes, I don't know why people get so spun up on what other people spend their money on? If they like it and can afford it, more power to them.
I could care less about the rifle as I think its overpriced but I am sure some folks will buy it so they can match their camo...lol
Is it made in China like the rest of their crap? shocked grin
I believe the rest of their "crap" is from a Korean fabric sewn in Canada. Could have changed though. I use a pair of their pants for sheep hunting and like them very much.
Originally Posted by blackfootkenai
I believe the rest of their "crap" is from a Korean fabric sewn in Canada. Could have changed though. I use a pair of their pants for sheep hunting and like them very much.

Not any more, he moved production to China, hence the "crap" reference.
Frank, I think you need 2 for next years antelope hunt. 1 for back up just incase.
Originally Posted by claycrusher
Frank, I think you need 2 for next years antelope hunt. 1 for back up just incase.

Maybe, but I think my new 7mm-08 will do just fine:)
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

For that price it better be an Adams & Bennett!
Kuiu rain gear, insulated jackets and hunting pants work great if you are a backpack hunter. And yes I have used the stuff a lot over the past two years. No comment on the new rifle.
Titanium is a very hard metal to machine things into. And while its light and very strong, its also very expensive. They use it in the hot section on turbine and jet engines. If it floats your boat, that fine, you get what you are willing to pay for I guess. That amount of money would pay for a few tags or the day rate for Africa. I would rather spend the money on hunting.
Some douche bags will buy it. I imagine it sitting in a heated blind in Texas waiting for a corn feeder to go off. Some hefty. oil well owning Texan will set his coffe cup down, squeeze the trigger and have someone come pick him and the deeer up.
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

DITTO
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
Some douche bags will buy it. I imagine it sitting in a heated blind in Texas waiting for a corn feeder to go off. Some hefty. oil well owning Texan will set his coffe cup down, squeeze the trigger and have someone come pick him and the deeer up.

God bless 'Merica. If the rich never paid for expensive things us mortals would never have have them either. Certainly nothing wrong with a fine piece of steel, titanium and graphite being built by many hands here in America.
For the fashion coordinated hunter with more money than experience... at least the logo is huge and ugly.
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80

Yea, ain't life grand !!!
Originally Posted by Brad
For the fashion coordinated hunter with more money than experience... at least the logo is huge and ugly.

Brad, "young" Viking, as so often here, your pithy observation just made me roar in laughter!

Given, the last few years of my life, that is exactly what an "old" Viking, needs! Thanks and keep it up! smile smile smile

Note: I have a couple of big game rifles, a 7-08 and even a CRF Mod. 70 sts shorty .308Win, that weigh under 7 lbs, all up. I have many .270s, .280s and a .30-06 all CRF that weigh well under the magic 8 lbs. that J'OC considered optimal for mountain hunting and I have never found that a single "pound" or so, made ANY difference in mountain hunting.....on my FEET or, as with many of we older guys, around our middles, THAT makes a BIG difference!

KUIU, and many outfits like it are all about trying to BUY instant mountain hunting expertise....and, it just don't work that way.
Consumers are all about trying to BUY instant mountain hunting expertise....and, it just don't work that way.

FIFY.

KUIU is responsible for selling (or one could argue creating an image), consumers are creating the demand. He started it at Sitka "turning clothing into gear", but to be fair, hunting clothing was (and still is) in need of better clothing options....especially stuff that matches your rifle, boots and underwear. grin

Yeah, I know, I REALLY worry over using my old merino wool in "garbage bag green" as it does NOT "colour coordinate" with my 30 year old Columbia "Treebark" camo fleece suits, bought "on sale" for 40% off circa 1983 or so.

Then, sometimes, I actually WEAR one of these red checked COTTON "doeskin" heavy shirts in the BC mountains, OH, Iago, the pity!

Funny, we who actually live and work(ed) in BC, AB and Canada's north and whose families founded these jurisdictions circa the mid and late 19thC., USUALLY wore such cheap and "unkewl" garb and still do......

For 20+ years, until they finally fell apart, I wore Swedish Army woolen pants in what is now called "Foliage" colour and green British Army "Commando" sweaters over the superb British "Mellofleece" merino longjohns, was NEVER cold, wet and the stuff cost less than a tank of gas for my Toyota 4x4. But, it is no longer available, sorry to say.

BTW, you have misquoted me above, no problem, tho'.
I know I miss quoted you, hence the FIFY (fixed it for you).

There is lots of gear that works, but prior to Sitka and KUIU there was a lack of alternatives in the market. No ned to bag on one option over another, it all works even if some think matching underwear makes them a better hunter.
© 24hourcampfire