Home
Posted By: lone wolf Defiance or Borden Action - 02/18/13
I'm building a 300 Win Mag and looking at these two Actions. Which one do like better and why. Going to be deer and elk hunting rifle.
Well,
I would buy a Borden. Jim is an engineer, been in the Benchrest and hunting World for a long time. He makes receivers that are smooth, triggers are timed, and quality is great. I will not throw rocks at the Defiance as I have no experience with them. Borden's receivers are the best feeding mags, SAUM, and WSM receivers.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Defiance or Borden Action - 02/19/13
I have both.
I like the Defiance better, just because.

dave
I just received a Defiance rebel this week
So I hope it's a nice one

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MSK07 Re: Defiance or Borden Action - 02/19/13
Defiance actions are gorgeous. I wish I had an endless supply to build on.

But with respect to function, it's hard to imagine that Borden, Defiance, Stiller, etc., would really have a meaningful difference.
I've sure liked my Borden, I've only fondled the Defiance a couple times and sure could like one. If I am lucky enough to build another custom, I may go Bighorn though.
[Linked Image]
Nice rig. keep them coming.
Posted By: JBO69 Re: Defiance or Borden Action - 02/19/13
I have both, like both and would recommend both. If you want a lighter build then go with the Borden action including the Jewel trigger. If you want more of a tactical look then get the Defiance with rail.
fwiw,
I've owned a Custom .300 WM built on a Defiance Action. Actually a GA Precision Templar rebadge but still a Defiance. Loved everything about the rifle except my last minute decision to stick a Badger Ordnance Magazine System under it. Turned near perfection into a fancy SMLE. You could not pick it up unless you went forward of the magazine. Some love them, however, I hate it. If you want an AI Magazine buy an AW or an AX. I have both.

You might also think about a BAT Tactical Action. No flies on those either...

The barrel looks heavy, however, it struck me as near perfection with the fluting. The rifle was no burden to carry due to weight...imho.

Here is a picture or two...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

fwiw & imho,

Matt Garrett

Btw, In retrospect I would have had it threaded for an AAC 300Tm Can if and when I do it over...
Defiance comes with M-16 extractor and Borden comes a sako extractor. Which one of these is better for a hunting rifle. I have been hunting with CRF Winchesters for the last 20 + years. Would like to know which one holds case better.
Both will work well. However, for a 300 win I would prefer a M16 extractor. Sako's are not pinned in like the M16 extractor, and there have been occurrences (although I have not heard about them in Borden's, only modified Remmy actions), of the Sako extractor being blown down the raceway.
I think both extractors have simular case holding and extraction simularities the biggest difference is the mini m16 is pinned which is great if a case lets go!
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Defiance or Borden Action - 02/20/13
Originally Posted by lone wolf
Defiance comes with M-16 extractor and Borden comes a sako extractor.

Pretty much a total wash.
If you dig into it.
Defiance has more options.
You can get the Defiance set up just about any way you want.
Primary extraction on the Defiance is the best in the biz.
Workmenship and the quality of the machining on both are excellent.
dave
What would be a good BDL bottom metal to use on these ?
Posted By: 300MAG Re: Defiance or Borden Action - 02/20/13
Originally Posted by lone wolf
What would be a good BDL bottom metal to use on these ?

Badger M4 bottom metal - pricey but built like a tank!!
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Defiance or Borden Action - 02/20/13
PTG BDL is just fine for hunting.
Seekens if you like playing army man.

dave
Posted By: Tanner Re: Defiance or Borden Action - 02/20/13
Anything wrong with 700 BDL botton metal?
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Defiance or Borden Action - 02/20/13
McMillan has a nice Oberndorf style unit made from aluminum too.
Originally Posted by dave7mm

dave

dude that is funny right there.
Posted By: 300MAG Re: Defiance or Borden Action - 02/20/13
I have rifles with BAT, Defiance, and Surgeon actions - I like the Surgeon the best out of all 3.

Defiance & Borden are both top notch stuff - whichever you go with, you'll be good to go!!
My Vote is a Defiance. Own them and would highly recommend them.

If ya like detachable bottom metal, I'd go with the APA LA BM.

https://www.americanprecisionarms.c.../redesigned-trigger-guard-rtg-la-rtg-la/

great mag release system that is part of the trigger guard.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Defiance or Borden Action - 02/21/13
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by dave7mm

dave

dude that is funny right there.

smile grin

dave
Bump
Posted By: bea175 Re: Defiance or Borden Action - 02/21/13
Originally Posted by busterhindend

[Linked Image]

what bolt nose did you get , flat, recessed or cone?
Originally Posted by bea175

[Linked Image]

what bolt nose did you get , flat, recessed or cone?

This action is going on a repeater, so Mike at Defiance suggested a recessed bolt nose and that is what I went with.

Other specifics about this action include, extended threads for longer tendon, Sako extractor, Heavy Remington Tang, Extra Deep bolt flutes, Tactical knob, and the Picatinny rail installed by Defiance.

Obviously, it is not on a complete rifle at this point, but I also received one of Bighorn's new actions ( I have two of the older models) and feel that the Bighorn is smoother. However, I will wait for final opinion after the rifle has been built and I can shoot it. But I'm really a huge fan of Bighorn.

Bighorn that is to be a 6.5 x 47 Lapua built by Jon Beanland
Just waiting on stock to arrive to send parts to Jon.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
The Bighorn actions are a neat design,with the floating bolt head, what does yours weigh? What are the differences between your older models and the newest version?

Jon seems to do alot of builds on Bighorns, have you talked to him about his thoughts on these actions?
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
The Bighorn actions are a neat design,with the floating bolt head, what does yours weigh? What are the differences between your older models and the newest version?

Jon seems to do alot of builds on Bighorns, have you talked to him about his thoughts on these actions?

I'm not sure what it weighs, I'll have to get back to you on that

Main differences are;
* built in recoil lug
* one piece bolt handle
* the holes for scope bases have been moved slightly back for allowing the scope to be moved closer to the rear
* Per AJ, there was a difference in overall length from his sporter and tactical models. The new ones have the exact foot print of the surgeon actions

Jon Beanland has probably built more rifles on Bighorn than anyone. He prefers Bighorn and builds his own rifles on Bighorn, so obviously he really likes them. I was talking to him yesterday telling him when my barrel was to arrive and he was telling me he is about ready to be himself a rifle with this new action. It is my understanding that he prefers these over all others. I know I really like them a lot. I have another one on order from AJ.

Here is my 6 X 47 Lapua that Jon built for me on a Bighorn
[Linked Image]

Here is a .223 AI built on a Bighorn
[Linked Image]
Posted By: bea175 Re: Defiance or Borden Action - 02/21/13
I'm thinking i ordering a Left Hand Single Shot to build me a 220 Swift on, but haven't decided what action i want to use. I have been looking at a Stiller Predator LH Single Shot, but these actions are making me have second thoughts .
Originally Posted by bea175
I'm thinking i ordering a Left Hand Single Shot to build me a 220 Swift on, but haven't decided what action i want to use. I have been looking at a Stiller Predator LH Single Shot, but these actions are making me have second thoughts .

I have two rifles built on Stiller Predator actions and although nice, I prefer the Bighorn and Defiance over them
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

I'm not sure what it weighs, I'll have to get back to you on that

Main differences are;
* built in recoil lug
* one piece bolt handle
* the holes for scope bases have been moved slightly back for allowing the scope to be moved closer to the rear
* Per AJ, there was a difference in overall length from his sporter and tactical models. The new ones have the exact foot print of the surgeon actions

Jon Beanland has probably built more rifles on Bighorn than anyone. He prefers Bighorn and builds his own rifles on Bighorn, so obviously he really likes them. I was talking to him yesterday telling him when my barrel was to arrive and he was telling me he is about ready to be himself a rifle with this new action. It is my understanding that he prefers these over all others. I know I really like them a lot. I have another one on order from AJ.

Here is my 6 X 47 Lapua that Jon built for me on a Bighorn
[Linked Image]

Here is a .223 AI built on a Bighorn
[Linked Image]

you tire of the 6x47, let me know grin
Posted By: slm9s Re: Defiance or Borden Action - 02/22/13

I have two rifles built on Stiller Predator actions and although nice, I prefer the Bighorn and Defiance over them

I have had Stiller and Defiance and my Defiance actions are smoother. But my Nesikas are better than my Defiance are, tied with BAT at the top of my list.
© 24hourcampfire