Home
Posted By: WITUfan .257: Roberts or AI - 03/02/13
I am hoping to build my first rifle later this year. I have had this project on the back burner for some time mostly because I haven't been able to decide what I want. At this point, I am really leaning toward either a .257 Roberts or the AI round. I honestly can't decide. I'm not thinking of the AI route because I want to push the envelope on velocity. If that is what I wanted, I would just go .25/06. I guess the cool factor or just because it is different part of it appeals to me. Regardless, I like the idea of having an accurate, light recoiling and fun to shoot round.

What would you do and why?
Posted By: Steelhead Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/02/13
250AI. It's a skookum fit in a short action and does everything a Roberts will do.
Posted By: Suicycle Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/02/13
What action are you building on? Are you just planning now, or are all the parts piled up and just choosing a reamer?
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/02/13
WITUfan,

I've had considerable experience with both the .257 Roberts and the Ackley version. The AI gets about another 100 fps but damned if i could ever tell the difference in the field, either in trajectory out to 400 yards or killing power. However, you don't hve to trim .257 AI brass, is that's important.

The .250 AI has just about exactly the same powder capacity as the .257 Roberts, the reason it will do the same things. But I've yet to have any problems with the .257 in at least half a dozen short-action rifles. The standard throat is set up for any common hunting bullet. The 115 Berged VLD would be an exception, but unless you're shooting past 500 yards you'll never notice the difference.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/02/13
I would avoid either one. The 257 Roberts is dead in terms of the market. While there is some interest on hobby forums in the old round you won't find ammo for it in stores.

What do you want the rifle for? If it's varmints there are better rounds like the 243.

If it's deer then more gun is better.

On the other hand many just want something to do and look forward to and guns are good clean fun.

Get the .243.
Jesus...
Posted By: sbrmike Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/02/13
You can't go wrong with either. Ammo is a bear to find right now in any caliber. Components are hard to find as well. Buy whatever Roberts ammo or brass you can find and then start the project.

I am in the process of building both, a 22" #2 Douglas, 257R in a Monte Carlo style with semi-fancy claro, and a 24" #2 Douglas, 257AI in a Classic style with AA wood.

I would own either of these calibers over a 25-06.
Posted By: WITUfan Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/02/13
I have a standard action LH Ruger 77. It is currently a .30/06. I don't have all the components in place, but my father in law is planning to put together another rifle and I am hoping to order the barrel when he orders his.

I have gone around and around in my mind regarding what to build. I have also considered the following: .240 Weatherby, .25/06 AI, 6.5/06, 6.5/06AI, 280 AI (almost decided on that, but I came into a 7mm RM while mulling this over) and .338/06.

I cut the .338/06 off my current list because I have the least use for it at the moment. My primary thought process is I really want something I can't just go out and buy. Shooting lefty, that is a long list. I don't mind making brass via shooting (that doesn't sound bad at all) but I'm not sure I want to take on much more than that at this time (time constraints). I have finally decided that I just want the most pleasant to shoot rifle I can make and so I decided .257 Roberts or AI. I already have a .257 Roberts (Ruger #1) - oddly it isn't really a burden to find or make ammo for it - and I really like the round.

Mule Deer, if the donor was a short action, the .250 AI would be at the top of my very short list . . .

I'm sure I'm just splitting hairs with my question. Of course, I don't have to explain myself here. I feel like I have found a support group or something. If I were to ask this question of any of the guys I hunt with other than my father in law, they would say "a .257 Huh?"
Posted By: Steelhead Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/02/13
Long action, then Roberts (not that it will not work in a short, but no reason to put a 250 in a LA).

I'd roll a 257AI, because I'm funny that way. Put a 1-9" twist tube on it.
Posted By: Ackleyman Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/02/13
I built a 257 Bob on a Remy 700 short action last year because a wanted a light recoiling rifle in a lightweight package.I used a #1 coutour Douglas barrel at 22". It turned out 7 lbs. 12 ozs scoped. I may put it in a lighter stock later to shave another 6-8 ozs. Light recoiling and very accurate. I'm pleased with how the build turned out. The first 25 caliber I have ever owned. I did'nt do an A.I. but sometimes I wish that I had. Just a little more trouble fire-forming brass which I do for my 280 A.I. Factory ammo is hard to find but it is out there. Hornady has two great loads but I would not recommend unless you handload. Would I do the build again knowing what I know now, absoultely but I might go with the A.I. Most accurate load I have found is the 100 grain Sierra Pro Hunter with max. charge of IMR 3031 right out of the Sierra manual.
Good luck with your build.
Posted By: Suicycle Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/02/13
If you already have a Bob I would go with something 6mm or 6.5/06 in that long action. A 6 or 6.5x284 would be an option too if you wanted to seat way out. Just sayin since you haven't got a quarter bore barrel yet. Although I am one to talk about duplicating a good thing. I haven't got a pile of cloned rifles, but 1911 and Glock 34's are a different story.
Posted By: CLB Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/02/13
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Jesus...

I know! Same old Don, same old song and dance.....

I guess I would be pretty well off If I had a buck for every deer killed by the Roberts.
Posted By: WSM_Shooter Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/03/13
Well I was in your shoes a few years ago and went with the .257AI. Al I can say is never again. Especially with ammo prices. It is true forming brass is not a big deal but it still has to be done and is more costly now. If you are set on the Roberts great build the Roberts but forget the AI version.
Posted By: powdr Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/03/13
The 250Savage, 257Roberts, and the 7x57Mauser...the three most useful game cartridges ever chambered! powdr
Posted By: shootinurse Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/03/13
Originally Posted by Savage_99

Get the .243.
Blasphemy!

Originally Posted by Steelhead
And there you have it.
Posted By: Clarence Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/03/13
I'm with MuleDeer. I'm perfectly with my .257 Roberts, built on a 1909 Argentine Mauser action with Douglas featherweight barrel, but throated for 3" OAL with typical bullets. Metal work done by Harry Creighton (Nashville, TN), and stocked with a very nice piece of Claro from Pachmayr. Vintage mid-'70's, obviously. I've never seen the need for another 100 fps.

Clarence
Posted By: BobinNH Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/03/13
Originally Posted by WITUfan

i'd leave it a standard Roberts.

Because I have killed a pile of game with it and know what it will do. smile
Posted By: HawkI Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/03/13
I like the std. 257 Roberts (never owned the AI version).

But, IMO, its one cartridge (like the 22-250, 220 Swift and Hornet) that seems to need trim lengths monitored. I avoid it by having piles of brass, but it is something to consider..

AI's "trim" on the first fireform and reduce it thereafter, FWIW.
Posted By: super T Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/03/13
I currently own and shoot a .257R, 243Win, 6mmRem in the past I loaded for a 250 and a 257AI. I've never been able to see much difference in field performance. My current 257R is a Serengeti/Montana/PacNor combo that I'm partial to not so much because it's a 257R but rather I like the rifle. It would be just as sweet in a 6mm or 243. For me it's the rifle not a small difference in case shape or an even smaller difference in bullet diameter.
Posted By: CBB Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/03/13
Ive got a .257 AI built by my grandfather back in the 80's. I love the gun but have no field results to compare it to the bob. I enjoy reloading but the fireforming is getting quite expensive. I managed to stock up on supplies a while ago. And have just about depeleted my stash between fireforming and loading similar components in my 25-06. About to spend alot of time and $$ restocking. But such is life.

Back about 13 years ago i was having a 280AI put together. I will say i was younger and quite dumb at that time and made a few poor life decisions and lost the build. Were it my choice thats what I'd go with had I a bob in the case.
Posted By: smokepole Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/03/13
I guess the cool factor or just because it is different part of it appeals to me......

I think they're both cool, but the Roberts is cool in a classic way. If it were me, I'd get a Roberts with a good piece of walnut. If I was going for a lightweight with a synthetic, then..... I'd still go for a Roberts, just cause I've always wanted one.
Posted By: efw Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/04/13
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Long action, then Roberts (not that it will not work in a short, but no reason to put a 250 in a LA).

There you have it.

I have a 257 AI and love it. I do not push it either, and love it for the cool factor. I would love a Kimber 84 M in the standard Bob, and when I built my son his first deer rifle I chose that cartridge.

You can't go wrong w/ either!
Posted By: SuperCub Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/04/13
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I'd leave it a standard Roberts.

x2! ..... I had a std 257 Roberts built several years ago by Bevan King on a LA 700. My intent was to shoot it for a while as is and have the AI done to it later. The "AI" never happened and never will.

Despite the mindless moanings of Savage 99, this 257R pushfeed has been the most dependable deer rifles I have ever owned. I would fully recommend the std Roberts chambering. I like it so much, I'm having a 250AI built on a Model Seven action with 1:9" PacNor in an Edge. It should be the ballistic equal to the std Roberts, but in a smaller/lighter package.
Posted By: huffmanite Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/04/13
Own 4 rifles in 257R. Three built on mauser actions, one is a Ruger 77 Hawkeye. Needless to say, I like the round and never felt the need for having one in A.I. Just didn't see that great of an advantage in it.
Posted By: ruger438 Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/04/13
Standard 257 Roberts. no need to fool with it IMHO

I would definitely twist it 1-9 tho.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/04/13
Originally Posted by SuperCub

x2! ..... I had a std 257 Roberts built several years ago by Bevan King on a LA 700. My intent was to shoot it for a while as is and have the AI done to it later. The "AI" never happened and never will.

Despite the mindless moanings of Savage 99, this 257R pushfeed has been the most dependable deer rifles I have ever owned. I would fully recommend the std Roberts chambering. I like it so much, I'm having a 250AI built on a Model Seven action with 1:9" PacNor in an Edge. It should be the ballistic equal to the std Roberts, but in a smaller/lighter package.

SC: I found years back that if I used a 257 Roberts on a long action the 3" version gave 257AI velocities in a 22" barrel, so never bothered with the AI version.The 257 on a long action begs the question of ..."Why not a 25/06?"...which is completely true and the only answer I ever had was..."Because it isn't a Roberts" grin

But the cartridge does well with a shorter action as well and I have grown ambivilent about whether to go long or short and would let the rifle I liked make the decision.My dealer is chasing down a M70 FW for me...if he can't find one I may grab a Kimber instead which will be fine.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/04/13
Originally Posted by WSM_Shooter
Well I was in your shoes a few years ago and went with the .257AI. Al I can say is never again. Especially with ammo prices. It is true forming brass is not a big deal but it still has to be done and is more costly now. If you are set on the Roberts great build the Roberts but forget the AI version.

Cream of Wheat and cotton balls are cheap. Primers are the problem as far as cost and finding them. But you can fireform while you're shooting critters.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/04/13
I'd agree if I had a long action donor and wanted a quarter bore, I'd just do a 25-06.

I prefer the Rbts and 257AI in a short action. Steelhead got me hooked on the 250AI at the moment, but I do have a lot of love for the Rbts.
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/04/13
I'm going give your the same answer that Al Biesen gave when deciding between the 257 Roberts and the 257 AI. His words were "Improve what!?!" "If you want a 25-06 build a 25-06."

ddj
Posted By: Cowboybart Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/04/13
I just got 2 AI's back from the "smith. Haven't fired or fitted wood to them yet.
I went the AI route for the cool factor, and because both of mine are in a small ring mauser. My thought process is with the Ackley case more pressure will be felt by the chamber walls and less by bolt back thrust. IMO, in my actions, I think the AI is safer.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/04/13
Originally Posted by SuperCub

SC: I found years back that if I used a 257 Roberts on a long action the 3" version gave 257AI velocities in a 22" barrel, so never bothered with the AI version.The 257 on a long action begs the question of ..."Why not a 25/06?"...which is completely true and the only answer I ever had was..."Because it isn't a Roberts" grin

But the cartridge does well with a shorter action as well and I have grown ambivilent about whether to go long or short and would let the rifle I liked make the decision.My dealer is chasing down a M70 FW for me...if he can't find one I may grab a Kimber instead which will be fine.

Mine is a 3" as well and my findings are similar to yours.

I always trot out these pics on these threads. Same ol' again, but still give a good visual.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: davet Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/04/13
Go standard Roberts or go 25-06 if you want more.

I love my Ruger m77 Roberts, and have no problems with shooting the heavies out of the 1-10 twist factory barrel, but going 1-9 twist is still a good idea, imo, especially if you are going to commit to long bullets, 115 grain cup and cores or 100TTSX.

117 spbt interlocks and/or 115 ballistic tips at 2800+ give me no worries out to 400yrds on deer.
Posted By: gahuntertom Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/05/13
I have 1 ea 250 Savage, 3 ea 257 bob on long m700 actions & 2 ea 25'06's. I normal person would have only the 25'06 but I love my 257 Roberts. Back when the 280AI was the hot ticket, I had Kenny Jarrette build 1 for me, it was OK but I do not like forming cases.Sold the rifle at a small profit & it is the last AI, I'll ever own.
Posted By: Oklahoma Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/05/13
I have never had a problem forming brass and the expense of fire forming is null. I would build a 257AI and if I didn't like it then I would run a reamer in and go 2506 or 2506AI...
Posted By: GunTruck50 Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/06/13
I use 2.850 in my old Model 70 long action without changing
any thing. To me the most important thing is to go to
slower powder like H4831 or RL22, with the heavier bullets.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/06/13
Choosing between something based on the .250 Savage, .257 Roberts, or .25-'06, given the current climate I might make my choice based on brass availability. Might even consider .25 Souper if I had a pile of .243 or .260 brass to work with.

I don't mind forming brass. I don't go with light loads, I load middle to upper loads for the parent cartridge and go kill stuff. Nothing has come back to life to complain about not being dead enough so far ... though a few I missed may have laughed in my general direction.

Tom

.257 Roberts is the most disappointing caliber I ever owned..AI or better the .25-06..
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/06/13
Cowboybart,

AI'ing a case has zero effect on bolt thrust. This is easy to prove, and has been.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/06/13
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
.257 Roberts is the most disappointing caliber I ever owned..AI or better the .25-06..

I get over 3000fps with 100gr Hornadys in a rifle that's fun to shoot, accurate and death on deer. I'm more than happy with that.
Posted By: Mouse Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/06/13
If a .257 Roberts can't do it, go to a 30-06. A .257 ROBERTS is one fine cartridge. Think 7X57 necked down to .257. Great bullets also available. This is an abbreviated response so go with what you think you like.
Posted By: CLB Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/06/13
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

Why? If you don't mind.
Posted By: WITUfan Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/06/13
I was just reading through the thread and had the same question as CLB.
Posted By: tucsonan Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/06/13
Efficient, low recoil, effective down-range energy, accuracy, magazine friendliness, and availability of Lapua brass are the reasons I love the 25 Souper. Those reasons and the wider selection of bullets are why my next effort will be a .260.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/06/13
I, too, would like to know what the problem with .257 Roberts was. I've had 4 so far. I had a problem with a bad rifle in one instance but was a problem rifle, not the cartridge.
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/06/13
Originally Posted by Savage_99
I would avoid either one. The 257 Roberts is dead in terms of the market. While there is some interest on hobby forums in the old round you won't find ammo for it in stores.

What do you want the rifle for? If it's varmints there are better rounds like the 243.

On the other hand many just want something to do and look forward to and guns are good clean fun.

Get the .243.

Now you tell me, and here I stuck a brand new FW M70 Bob in the back of the safe for when my boy gets big enough to keep both ends off the ground...pity I didn't know that last fall when I bought it.
Posted By: WranglerJohn Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/06/13
I am on my third .257 Roberts AI, started in the mid-1970's with a rechambered Ruger 77 when they first came out. It was a limited run that included iron sights. That rifle was a fluke, it had a good barrel and shot down in the .3's with a 75 grain Sierra HP and H-380 powder. Latest is a Remington 700 custom build with a Gary Schneider barrel that was built by Greg Tannel. Like all the other .257 Roberts AI's I had it is extremely accurate, electrocuting game and vaporizing ground squirrels. This cartridge became my favorite for some reason, maybe because it was my first modified rifle, maybe just because it worked so well, or because I didn't know better.

The thing with the .257 Roberts Ackley is that it does produce more velocity than the unimproved case, a substantial gain. With a 100 grain bullet a real 200+ feet per second velocity gain can be realized, loads top out around 3,200 fps with an average 5 grains additional powder charge. By contrast the .25-06 will top out around 3,300 fps with another 4 - 5 grains of powder.

So, using the most accurate powder for 100 grain bullets in the Nosler manual, the .257 Roberts produces 3,007 fps with 43.5 grains of IMR 4350.

The .257 Roberts Ackley Improved produces 3,208 fps with 50.0 grains of IMR 4350.

The .25-06 will generate 3,361 fps with 54.5 grains of RL19.

Major difference is that the .257 Roberts Ackley can be built on a short action, and still fit all factory loads with 117 grain bullets. While the .25-06 will require a long action, which is not really a great disadvantage. All my Roberts were built on short actions. This is especially true of a custom barreling job. I had to send three dummy loads with my preferred bullet seated where I wanted them so the chamber throat could be matched. Also, I had the option of selecting the neck diameter of the chamber, so I selected a diameter that would allow use of loaded factory cases plus minimal clearance.

Is the Ackley version really a dramatic improvement over the standard cartridge? Frankly, no. What we are talking about is the 7mm Mauser necked down, or the 6mm Remington necked up. I form both cartridges into .257 Roberts, and with a Hornady Custom Shop Hydraulic Forming Die, these and the Roberts brass can be directly formed into the Ackley configuration without fire forming (I do this for the .22-250 Ackley Improved, but the dies cost $300 including a chamber matched F.L. sizing set). I really question how much difference the extra velocity and weight will make between the Ackley, the .25-06 and the standard .257 Roberts. If we get down to splitting hairs that fine, then perhaps another cartridge should be examined. For all that, the .257 Roberts Ackley Improved is still a favorite cartridge, but it has been relegated to an honored place in the safe, while other cartridges have assumed the heavy lifting, especially for varmint hunting.

WranglerJohn,

Hate to break this to you, but the .257 AI does not get another 200 fps over the standard .257. Yeah, handloading data in most manuals shows the Roberts at 3000 or so with 100-grain bullets, but that's at antique SAAMI pressures. Even the so-called +P .257 pressure is a maximum of 60,000 psi, and most loading data is actually a little under that.

When handloaded to typical modern pressures the standard .257 gets 3100-3250 fps with 100-grain bullets, depending on barrel length. There's no reason it shouldn't, since it's essentially the 6mm Remington necked up. Nosler's latest manual shows the top 100-grain 6mm load going 3261 fps from a 24" barrel.

Many of the claims for lots of extra velocity from improved rounds are made by comparing them to relatively low-pressure factory ammo or SAAMI-restricted handloads. The real comparison is between handloads at the same pressure. When that's done, most improved rounds don't show nearly as much extra zip.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/06/13
The so called (A.I) is also just good clean fun. Just something to do in the off season.

"I would avoid either one. The 257 Roberts is dead in terms of the market. While there is some interest on hobby forums in the old round you won't find ammo for it in stores.

Get the .243."
Posted By: Boise Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/06/13
I disagree, I prefer the .257 over the .243. But then I'm a reloader. I see no reason for the .243, I actually dislike the cartridge and it's ridiculous 20 degree shoulder.

At age 13 I got a 30-06 that knocked the snot out of me, my hunting license list my weight as 74 pounds. My uncle built me a Bob on a 98 Styer Mauser action with a [bleep] stock. After getting out of school I stepped up to a .280.

My Bob, a non-AI version:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BobinNH Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/06/13
Originally Posted by Boise
I disagree, I prefer the .257 over the .243. But then I'm a reloader. I see no reason for the .243, I actually dislike the cartridge and it's ridiculous 20 degree shoulder.

At age 13 I got a 30-06 that knocked the snot out of me, my hunting license list my weight as 74 pounds. My uncle built me a Bob on a 98 Styer Mauser action with a [bleep] stock. After getting out of school I stepped up to a .280.

[Linked Image]

I sorta feel the same way... smile

My affinity for the 257 Roberts goes back aways and I am something of a sentimental sop when it comes to cartridge,since it was the second or third centerfire that I ever owned;and I'm not inclined to toss an old companion to the sideline for something offering more promise based solely on technical superiority....there are other cartridges available to scratch that itch if I want.

I have seen the velocities that John mentions above and gotten them myself, but never mentioned it on here for fear of public ridicule,but Johnny B gives me courage. blush

The rifles have included a couple of long throat Rugers, a M70 FW set up the same way,and a 25" custom barreled Mauser.These velocities,and using the cartridge out west are the reason I never got too excited about the 25/06 (good as it is),nor did I see any reason for improving the Roberts to get more velocity.It may not be the answer for truly long range shooting but has worked fine for me whenever I called on it.
Bob,

I've owned at least a dozen .257 Roberts rifles and one .257 AI. Right now I have two and my wife has one. Can't remember not being able to get an easy 3100-3150 out of a short-actioned .257 even with a 22" barrel, and it's easy to break 3200 from my Remington 722 (short action) with a 24" barrel.

In fact, when I was younger and dumber, I loaded the 722 pretty warmly and got 3250 with 100 Partitions and just under 3300 with 100 Hornady Interlocks, which produce less pressure than most other bullets. Probably the pressures were about what many .257 AI fans load to!

I could get 3300 pretty easily in my single .257 AI, a NULA with 3" magazine and 24" barrel. But so what?

The standard .257 I got the most velocity out of was a Ruger No. 1B, with a 26" barrel with a VERY long throat. Got a little over 3100 from 115-grain Partitions, but it wouldn't shoot any bullet under 115 grains worth a hoot, even 100 TSX's.

If I want more zip from a .25 I take a .25-06 or .257 Weatherby, but I haven't found the pronghorn or deer yet that didn't die quickly from a standard .257!
Posted By: BobinNH Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/06/13
John I don't lean on it that hard anymore either.. grin

I noticed that with a 100 gr at 3100 it has a trajectory very much like a "junior" 270/130,and that works pretty well. wink

I still have an old letter or two somewhere from JOC when I wrote to him asking about loads for the cartridge.He actually wrote back!..and here we are today and I get to talk directly to you about it.

Thanks for that opportunity!

My how things have changed! smile
Posted By: WSM_Shooter Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/06/13

[Linked Image]

Nice looking rifle.
Posted By: CLB Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/06/13
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Bob,

I've owned at least a dozen .257 Roberts rifles and one .257 AI. Right now I have two and my wife has one. Can't remember not being able to get an easy 3100-3150 out of a short-actioned .257 even with a 22" barrel, and it's easy to break 3200 from my Remington 722 (short action) with a 24" barrel.

In fact, when I was younger and dumber, I loaded the 722 pretty warmly and got 3250 with 100 Partitions and just under 3300 with 100 Hornady Interlocks, which produce less pressure than most other bullets. Probably the pressures were about what many .257 AI fans load to!

I could get 3300 pretty easily in my single .257 AI, a NULA with 3" magazine and 24" barrel. But so what?

The standard .257 I got the most velocity out of was a Ruger No. 1B, with a 26" barrel with a VERY long throat. Got a little over 3100 from 115-grain Partitions, but it wouldn't shoot any bullet under 115 grains worth a hoot, even 100 TSX's.

If I want more zip from a .25 I take a .25-06 or .257 Weatherby, but I haven't found the pronghorn or deer yet that didn't die quickly from a standard .257!

Hey John,

Have you ever had a chance to fiddle with a Montana in .257 Roberts? How are they throated and twisted if you know.

Thanks
Posted By: idahoguy101 Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/06/13

[Linked Image]

You are fortunate to have such a great Uncle. Bless his Soul!
Posted By: Boise Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/06/13
Thank you for the kind comments regarding my rifle, I've been pretty hard on the 45 year old girl and that's the third stock refinish and I've re-blued it once. The uncle has always been and will always be my favorite and the fact that I look a lot like him sort of helps.

Given just about anyone that is a serious hunter has a laser range finder hasn't all this concern about velocity become far less important?

Posted By: kk alaska Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/07/13
If you want to trim brass get the 257 Roberts if not not AI it.

Have a RH Rem 700 SA re chambered 250 Savage bolt throw and mag length to 3.0". Great rifle probably would have left it 250 Savage
but it came that way.

Owned 1 other Ruger 77 UL LA 257 Roberts that I had AI.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/07/13

Given just about anyone that is a serious hunter has a laser range finder hasn't all this concern about velocity become far less important?

Well, yes and no...there will be times when an LRF will not work;or you may not be provided enough time to use it.

Then, it isn't necessarily a question of sheer velocity, so much as it is having a "working trajectory" with which you are very familiar as a result of lots of shooting and field use.If you "know" a load you are using drops no more than 8" at (say)350 yards,or 12-14" at 400 yards,you also know a high shoulder hold will chest shoot a deer sized animal at that 350 yard marker and a top of back hold will also do the trick at 400.

Velocity helps in this and is the essence of why we shoot bullets in the first place since an inert bullet is pretty useless as a tool for killing.So long as we don't go to excess,use dangerous loads, or chase velocity at the expense of other important things(too much powder,too much recoil, too short barrel life, etc),velocity is pretty useful.

I might be able to pull off moderately LR shots in open country with a load doing 2600 fps and an LRF,but I will almost always take the load doing 3100 fps or so for the same purpose.

Besides,velocity does other worthwhile things besides provide flatter trajectory...it also helps expand bullets at distance for good lethal effect.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/07/13

I know exactly how you feel. I actually dislike the .243 also, and carry the same grudge my dad has (and taught me) about the 6mms making their big splash in the 50's. I'll concede that with today's bullet selection, the .243 has some great high B.C. choices that the .257 is missing out on. BUT, it'll never warm my heart the way the .257 does, and I'll gladly dig my heels in and enjoy the Robert's "limitations."

My first centerfire was a .257 Roberts tang safety M77. I worked my butt off for two years to earn that rifle, and owned it by age 13. Looking back, I realize I was clearly already a Gun Looney. wink

BTW, as ugly as the .243's 20 degree shoulder is, the Roberts only beats it by 45 minutes. The 6mm Rem actually does it better with a 26 degree shoulder.............but I still know what you mean.
Posted By: splattermatic Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/07/13
Been thinking of punching my hawkeye to ai.
Even if not much of a gain in velocity, i hate trimming, and they look cool.
I have a reamer and dies already!
Posted By: WITUfan Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/07/13
I guess to be honest, the cool factor or having something unique is the biggest draw for me to the AI, although the .257 Roberts has a real element of that anyway. I think that is why I am struggling between the two. If I were really concerned about velocity I would go with the .25/06. I also know the .243 is easier to find factory ammo for, but I doubt this rifle will shoot a lot of factory stuff anyway. I don't have anything against the .243 - I once borrowed one from my uncle and killed a deer with it, and it performed just fine, although I guess a small deer broadside at 25 yards isn't a huge test - but I like the ability to go up to the 120 grain bullet if I choose because I will mostly be after deer.

All this may be irrelevant, however, because I know where there is a new model 70 FW and I am probably going to do like CowboyTim and put it up for my little boy when is ready for it in 2 or 3 more years. Well, by put it up I mean, make sure it is ready. I still like the idea of a LH Roberts for me, but if I get the Winchester I will have to put building this rifle on hold a little while. I like the idea a lot of a .257 Roberts for a boy to deer hunt with. I can go to the heavier bullets if I like and if he falls in love with the rifle, he will have to start handloading at some point. Just doing what I can to push the kid toward being a rifle looney!
Posted By: 222Rem Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/08/13
I guess to be honest, the cool factor or having something unique is the biggest draw for me to the AI, although the .257 Roberts has a real element of that anyway. I think that is why I am struggling between the two. If I were really concerned about velocity I would go with the .25/06.

That's my feeling too. I'd have NO problem AI'ing a .243Win, since it's got zero cool factor in stock form, but looks pretty slick after being "fixed." The Roberts is a great old round as-is, and so is the .25-06.....................so I have both, and didn't Ackley either of 'em. wink
Posted By: efw Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/08/13
I love the look of the 257AI. The standard Bob is a workhorse and I won't likely be without one. the 243 is undeniably effective, but the slump in its shoulder is unattractive to me... and when you have a 6-250 you don't need one anyway:

[Linked Image]

6mm-250, 243 Win, 257 AI, 257 Roy
Posted By: Mntngoat Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/08/13
i have a .257 Ackley on a Sako and figured i might as well do a .250 Savage Ackley just because on a #1

ML

Posted By: Partridge Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/09/13
FWIW, I have a 257AI ULA, an early one made in 86. I bought it at an auction for a good price, probably because it is an AI and the price reflected that...something to consider. This particular rifle does not feed the fat AI case very well, but does feed regular Bob cases all day long, would have had the feeding corrected but if this barrel ever wears out its going to be a Roberts.

IMO the AI appeal wears off quickly when you consider the extra work required to get good AI brass and the velocities that the regular Bob can get.
Posted By: efw Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/09/13
Originally Posted by Partridge

IMO the AI appeal wears off quickly when you consider the extra work required to get good AI brass...

I haven't ever understood this argument?

I love to shoot water-filled recyclables as a way to familiarize myself with new rifles. I found 2 dusty boxes of 75 gr Speer 25-20 RN bullets my 'smith had marked CHEAP and loaded em w/ a max (for parent cartridge) charge of IMR-4895 and went shooting! Once I had 200 formed cases I knew I'd be set for a decade or so?

Extra work? Dang if that is extra work I'll join a coountry club, buy plaid pants and golf clubs and throw in the towel on this rifle loony stuff!

YMMV...
Posted By: Ackman Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/11/13
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by Partridge

IMO the AI appeal wears off quickly when you consider the extra work required to get good AI brass...

I haven't ever understood this argument?

Me neither. You gotta wonder what people are thinking when they say that. Find the most accurate load just like with any other cartridge and go shoot. Kill stuff with more speed than the parent cartridge, and get a formed case while doing it. No extra work.

Also the "cool factor??" What nonsense. It's just ammunition......for shooting, not for showing to everyone.

Posted By: WITUfan Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/11/13
Having something cool or unique is nonsense? Understand that I didn't mean cool in terms of it makes me cool only that having something different to shoot is cool to me. I would say that if lots of us weren't after something we think is cool, there would only be about a dozen or so cartridges in use and this forum would not exist!
Posted By: elliesbear Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/11/13
I killed my first deer in 1949...with a .257 Roberts..killed a lot of stuff since...257 still kills em'
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/12/13
What John said.

But since it is your rifle and you have to live with it, you should cut the chamber you want.

I currently have both style of the 257 Roberts, 13 Bobs and 3 Better Bobs. My 1st was a tang safety Ruger 77R that I bought when I was stationed at Fort Riley, KS, back in 1981-84. It worked fine as a standard 257 and still works fine as a 257AI, although it doesn't see much action these days. When I put my last 257 together, a 700 CDL-SF in a McM McM Hunter, I opted to leave it as a standard Bob. If I feel the need for more speed in a .257" bore rifle, I could shoot 25 WSSMs, 25-284s, or 25-06s.

8 of my 13 Bobs are SAs and since the heaviest bullets that I shoot from them are 110 grain ABs, the SA vs. LA argument isn't a critical factor for me.

Cool is subjective. In long action .264" bore rifles I like the 256 Newton even though it is slightly slower and much more of a PITA to form cases than is the 6.5-06, but I think that the Newton is just cooler than the generic/practical 6.5-06.

Regarding the 250AI. I had a SA tang safety 77 RSI in 250AI that I never could get to feed, so I rebarreled it to 25 Souper. The Souper feeds smoothly and reliably time after time.
Posted By: wyld Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/12/13
I use a 250 Sav, 257 Roberts, and a 25-06. The 25-06 is the best, as I can download to the performance level of the 250 and 257 and the 257 AI. One granddaughter now uses the 250, and will soon be using the 257 Rbts. I have found the 250 to be marginal on some shots on deer, but the 257 and the 25-06 work perfectly, especially with bonded core bullets.
RF
Posted By: splattermatic Re: .257: Roberts or AI - 03/15/13
It'll cost 150 bucks and some shipping to have a standard Roberts punched to ai.
Not bad to not have to trim brass.
© 24hourcampfire