Home
Looks like it should work on paper. Has anyone done one on a 700 SAUM action? Is it just a rebarrel job?
Mule Deer has done his 9.3 BS wildcat based on the .350 Rem Mag and it feeds fine. In his article he mentionned that the .350 Rem Mag also fed perfectly.
I've done 350 Mags on both 700 and Seven SAUM actions.

Just a simple rebarrel...like they were made for it...:-)..well, they were,...the 673 is really a Model Seven and they left the factory in 350 Mag.

My partner and I did both the .350RM and 6.5RM on SAUM actions last year.As Rembo says pretty well a straight rebarrel,although we had to do a bit of feed lip tweaking as we installed Wyatt box maxs in both.It wasn't a big deal and both feed just fine. Monashee
Originally Posted by Monashee
My partner and I did both the .350RM and 6.5RM on SAUM actions last year.As Rembo says pretty well a straight rebarrel,although we had to do a bit of feed lip tweaking as we installed Wyatt box maxs in both.It wasn't a big deal and both feed just fine. Monashee

And here they are:
[Linked Image]

Like Monashee said, they feed very well through the Wyatt CFE box after a wee-bit of tweeking and polishing. Three down and one in the spout and due to the modest professional that built them they shoot like this:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As they sit they weigh within 2oz of each other just under 7.5lbs. There is a Borden Rimrock Mountain pattern on the way for the .350 (lucky find!) and a McMillan Hunter Edge on its way for the 6.5 (Specklestone Olive with black and tan for the guys who would have to ask ;))

For those that think the .350 is a turd hurler, the second target is 200gr TSX's at 2950fps which allows you to use a B&C reticle like it was meant to.
Originally Posted by rem338win
Originally Posted by Monashee

For those that think the .350 is a turd hurler, the second target is 200gr TSX's at 2950fps which allows you to use a B&C reticle like it was meant to.

correct,....the 350 is no pumpkin chucker.......we shot a 35 Whelen a few weeks ago. With 225 Accubonds at 2700 it's only 8 inches low at 300 meters with a 200 meter zero....pretty much 30-06/180 trajectory.

the 350 will be more of the same.....:-)
rem338 would you mind sharing the load for that 350? Thats a lot better than I was expecting those 200's to do . I've had a 300 saum in the closet that I bought as a donor for a 350 rm in the safe for a long time now .
Just don't pick up a 7SAUM for the job and make the mistake of trying it out before sending it off for the makeover to 350. BTDT. whistle
Originally Posted by SKane
Just don't pick up a 7SAUM for the job and make the mistake of trying it out before sending it off for the makeover to 350. BTDT. whistle
I did that.The 7SAUM never left,I had to buy another for the 6.5RM build! grin Monashee
For surely, Fed 215M, 63.5gr of TAC and a 200gr TSX (I intend to switch to TTSX). My OAL is 2.885".
I had the 225gr Partitions moving 2750fps with 61gr of RL15 and BR2's firing it. Accuracy was 1.5" though (like it would matter).
Originally Posted by rembo

correct,....the 350 is no pumpkin chucker.......we shot a 35 Whelen a few weeks ago. With 225 Accubonds at 2700 it's only 8 inches low at 300 meters with a 200 meter zero....pretty much 30-06/180 trajectory.

the 350 will be more of the same.....:-)

I am scared to try the 225 Accubond. If it was to shoot as well as the Barnes I will have created an opportunity to be indecisive. And that just ain't right.
Where are you BC boys finding the 200tsx? All I can find in Edmonton is the 200ttsx and I dont want the tip eating up mag space.

Rembo built a 350 on a M7 SAUM for me. The only thing is it doesnt like feeding the round nose bullets near as much as the pointy ones. smile
skilakjim,

As BCSteve mentioned, Charlie Sisk built my 9.3 Barsness-Sisk on a 700 action from a factory rifle for the 7mm SAUM. The 9.3 B-S is the .350 necked up .008", and it fed perfectlyfrom the get-go--as Charlie knew it would, having worked a lot with the 700 SAUM actions. In fact I used it on my "interior" grizzly in Alaska with perfect confidence because it feeds so well.

There's no reason to give up a perfectly good SAUM barrel to do the conversion, however. I'd already taken a dozen animals including a couple of nice bull caribou with the 7mm SAUM barrel, and it shot very well and killed stuff at longer ranges very well. So I kept the SAUM barrel, and just twirl it on and off, subbing the 9.3 Lilja barrel. It's heck of a combination rifle, going from a flat-shooting 7mm to a heavy-bullet medium-bore, which covers 99% of the big game hunting on earth.
Originally Posted by SKane

interesting....I have a NIB Model Seven laminate in 7mm SAUM, built in 2002.

One day I'll shoot it.....

[quote=bigJWhere are you BC boys finding the 200tsx? All I can find in Edmonton is the 200ttsx and I dont want the tip eating up mag space.

Rembo built a 350 on a M7 SAUM for me. The only thing is it doesnt like feeding the round nose bullets near as much as the pointy ones.[/quote]

all the more reason to build a 35 Whelen,...they have enough mag length to seat pointy bullets where they belong....no need to go to round nose to get near the lands and fit the box. While I've built two 350 Mags for myself, they are gone now,....it's 35 Whelen for me.
I will stick with my 350. If I went long action, 35 whelen would be a good choice IF you couldnt have a 338-06 or 9.3x62. smile
I have a 700 SAUM titanium action waiting for a barrel. I also have a brown pounder stock to go along with it. I originally planned a 7mm SAUM sheep rifle but I find myself more and more hunting high country grizzly.

I think a light mountain rifle chambered in a 350 Rem mag. would make a awesome combination. Any recommendations for a barrel contour? I want to keep it light.
skilakjim,

My 9.3 has a 23" Lilja which I believe is a #4 contour (will measure it and get back to you) and weighs 7-1/2 pounds with a 12 ounce scope in steel Talley mounts. The stock is a Banser High-Tech with a 1" Decelerator. Dunno if that is light enough for you, but with a 30-pound pack on my back have literally forgotten the rifle's on my shoulder on occasion. Your Ti action would save a little more weight.
Originally Posted by skilakjim
I have a 700 SAUM titanium action waiting for a barrel. I also have a brown pounder stock to go along with it. I originally planned a 7mm SAUM sheep rifle but I find myself more and more hunting high country grizzly.

I think a light mountain rifle chambered in a 350 Rem mag. would make a awesome combination. Any recommendations for a barrel contour? I want to keep it light.

Mine is a (yes they won't do it blah, blah. I got one so too bad) #3 Krieger SS with shank customed to a Remington style taper. It is absolutely the lightest I would do with a 35 cal and it works great. That dropped into a Ti stock with Talley LWs and a Leupolfd 2.5-8 is 7lbs 5oz. Works great so far!
I was thinking maybe a lilja in a # 3 contour or the remington mag contour. Any thoughts on twist? I plan on using 200-225 grain pills.
Mine is a 1-14" but personally I think a 1-16" is likely just great for the handgun to 250gr pills.

Either of those contours would be great in my opinion, but that is free so take it for what it is worth wink
24 inch pipe on that one Rem338 ? And thank you for the load data.
Originally Posted by wildone
24 inch pipe on that one Rem338 ? And thank you for the load data.
Rem338's .350 has a 22" bbl,the 6.5RM has a 24". Monashee
Jim I think you 'd be on the money with that #3 Lilja if thats the brand of choice for you . I happen to like them as well.
[Linked Image]

Whats a .350 thread without a pic of one?
It's in its new Borden Rimrock stock now. Still weighs 7lbs 5oz as pictured. I really like that stock.
Sweet rig Sir.
Cool.

I've been wanting a lighter (but not too light) rifle, then neck up the 350 to .411.
© 24hourcampfire