Home
Posted By: blacktailbuster McMillan ? - 09/27/13
Looking to stock a 700 SA with a PacNor Sendero contour finished at 26 inches. This is strictly a southern stand rifle. Not interested in any tactical type stocks. Classic? Thanks for your input.
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: McMillan ? - 09/27/13
Classic is never a wrong answer for a hunting rig - so yes go Classic. Might balance a little funky if going Edge, if not you should be fine.
Posted By: 30338 Re: McMillan ? - 09/27/13
Sendero is going to be tight in a classic. What are you chambering it in?
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: McMillan ? - 09/27/13
Classic is maxed out with a Sendero contour. It will fit, but just barely. Might think about a Manners MCS-T, but a better idea would be to lose a little barrel and go Mcmillan Classic.
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: McMillan ? - 09/27/13
Also, unless you are using a 30 ounce Nightforce (and probably even then), it's going to balance like schit with a 26" barrel. Cut that baby back to 22.
Balance really matters, even on a stand rifle.
Posted By: ShoMeWhitetails Re: McMillan ? - 09/28/13
McMillan Remington Hunter would be my pick.
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: McMillan ? - 09/28/13
Oh yeah - forgot Mcmillan makes a Hunter for heavier barrels. That would be a good one!
Posted By: RDSHOOTER Re: McMillan ? - 09/28/13
The Mcmillan Hunter would be my choice...
Originally Posted by RDSHOOTER

Gotta be careful - the Remington Hunter is able to take heavy barrels, while the Mcmillan Hunter is for a Douglas #4 or smaller.
Posted By: blacktailbuster Re: McMillan ? - 09/28/13
thanks for the responses guys. I'm about to deal the lightest rifle around for a heavy one. The latter of which I don't have much experience with. On the move from hunting blacktails in alpine to stand hunting down south. Probably not a bigger extreme around. Absolutely love my Nula but for what I want it would be better served in someone else's hand. Keep it coming if someone else has an opinion as I have only had one McMillan in my hand. thanks again.
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Gotta be careful - the Remington Hunter is able to take heavy barrels, while the Mcmillan Hunter is for a Douglas #4 or smaller.

Mcmillan Hunter with a 24" Remington Varmint Contour...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Is the forend on your rifle square, and able to take more than a Rem Varmint or quite narrow and rounded?

[Linked Image]

Is the forend on your rifle square, and able to take more than a Rem Varmint or quite narrow and rounded?

quite narrow and rounded!
BIGTIME difference between the two in the forend.
Posted By: TC1 Re: McMillan ? - 09/28/13
Would the HTG be a good candidate?
I have Both of the Mcmillan Hunter AND the rem Hunter with the RVC/Sendero contours in them and they both Look and Work fine..
Interesting that you got that to work, as I had a #3 Brux that came pretty close to maxing out a Mcmillan Hunter. Plus Mcmillan says max of a Douglas #4.
Rem Hunter

[Linked Image]
I really don't think Mcmillan would inlet them if it wouldn't work just fine! Im actually building another Mcillan Hunter with a RVC contour as we speak...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: McMillan ? - 09/28/13
Originally Posted by ShoMeWhitetails
McMillan Remington Hunter would be my pick.

+1. Remington Hunter would be the way to go.

Edited after reading entire thread. I would still go with the Remington Hunter over a McMillan Hunter with anything bigger than a #4.

John

[Linked Image]

Dang! That baby is maxed out. Glad it worked out for ya, but I'm curious how much forend flex it exhibits?
NO (None) flex... it get's shot off of Stix's and Bipods and never had a issue.. and it is free floated from 1 1/2"s forward of the recoil lug.
Posted By: ctsmith Re: McMillan ? - 09/28/13
From a southern stand hunter, i think you are on the right track with a classic but there is no need to go with a sendero sized barrel. Its a safe bet that you will eventually downsize, especially coming off a NULA. Ive seen it happen way more times than not. A #4 in a classic at 8.5 to 9 #s ready to roll will balance nicely, have enough meat in the tube to shoot as good as you could want, tame recoil from any reasonable deer cartridge, and be about perfect for a stand rifle.
Posted By: blacktailbuster Re: McMillan ? - 09/28/13
Thank you all. RD I'm assuming the red and black is the Rem Hunter. Thank you, this is what makes the fire awesome. Good folks.
Posted By: BurninDupont Re: McMillan ? - 09/28/13
Originally Posted by ctsmith
From a southern stand hunter, i think you are on the right track with a classic but there is no need to go with a sendero sized barrel. Its a safe bet that you will eventually downsize, especially coming off a NULA. Ive seen it happen way more times than not. A #4 in a classic at 8.5 to 9 #s ready to roll will balance nicely, have enough meat in the tube to shoot as good as you could want, tame recoil from any reasonable deer cartridge, and be about perfect for a stand rifle.

+1 Bartlein also makes a #3 contour that equals most manufacturers #4 contours and you can buy one in stock from grizzly.com or look for a #4 Brux or thereabouts at bugholes.com
Posted By: JasonF Re: McMillan ? - 09/30/13
I am contemplating a similar build to the OP, but am not a fan of monte carlo combs. Does anyone have any suggestions on a straight combed stock with a wider fore end?
Posted By: coleridge Re: McMillan ? - 09/30/13
Originally Posted by JasonF
I am contemplating a similar build to the OP, but am not a fan of monte carlo combs. Does anyone have any suggestions on a straight combed stock with a wider fore end?

For a Sendero frame (26" bbl) rifle, the A3 is about perfect. I know it's considered "tactical" but I actually prefer the verticle grip. If you've never spent much time behind one you ought to give it a try. Sendero frame in an A3 is about the perfect beanfield stand rifle... Balances well & is still light enough you won't have to drag it to the stand.
© 24hourcampfire