Home
Eddie Fosnaugh I am not.

This little rifle got a face lift today. Let me start by saying the Vias camo is hard to paint as the color swaths are long and include long black borders. I did the best I could with my GAP vinyl stickers. I missed on the lighter gray. Should have gone a shade darker. But it was a valliant effort. This old stock had a dazzling fern pattern painted on it when I came upon it. I sent it to have a Polane base in brown and cut the old 1/2" red Pach off and lengthened the LOP with a new 1" Decel.

Metal surfaces that were stainless recieved a very special coating called Krylon Flat Black.

I also had my first go at grinding down a recoil pad. Wasn't hard...but it certainly wasn't fast, either. Started with a standing belt sander to rough it in and finished with increasingly fine papers by hand. Took an eon.

The gun as it sits in the bottom photo weighs a svelte 6 pounds and 10 ounces. Iyt will get multiple coats of matte clear-coat tomorrow and then be officially ready for my Marco Polo hunt in Tajikistan. (lie)

Remington 700 in 308 Win
Karl bolt
Brown Precision Stock
PacNor Barrel, #2 finished at 24"
FX-3 6x42 with M1 Elevation in Talleys

Before....
[Linked Image]

After....
[Linked Image]

So I stripped it all the way back to ground zero. I used blue painters tape with a waxed paper backing, an x-acto knife to cut my stencils, and a new light gray color. I am much closer to what I want, but a few observations: Vias camo flows moreso than what I've done. The tan meanders throughout the pattern. It might be hard to do on a gunstack regardless. And the pattern might be too large on my gun. I think it might look better with more, but smaller features while keeping the amount of tan the same. And the black in the Kuiu Vias is finer and borders more than what I've done. The black is very hard to "tape" in. I spent more time taping the black than all the other colors combined....by far. But all in all...my satisfaction is a 6 or 7 on a 10 scale.

After After....
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SLM Re: A Stab at Kuiu Vias Camo - 10/26/13
Looks sharp. Really like Brown stocks.
I like that. Nice job!
Are you going to put more camo "coverage" on it, or leave it sparse like that?
I'm going to strip it to base brown, use blue painters tape cut to match Vias pattern, and buy a darker gray for my "light" gray. And yes...there will be more "camo".
Posted By: Tanner Re: A Stab at Kuiu Vias Camo - 10/26/13
Looks really cool! Nice work.
Posted By: EricM Re: A Stab at Kuiu Vias Camo - 10/26/13
I like that!
Posted By: pointer Re: A Stab at Kuiu Vias Camo - 10/26/13
I dig it!
Posted By: Chrome Re: A Stab at Kuiu Vias Camo - 10/26/13
Just visited the KUIU web sight. Cool camo pattern. Will look great on a stock!

Tell me more of this special Krylon flat black coating on the stainless barrel. Is this some new NASA invention..... grin
Originally Posted by Chrome
Just visited the KUIU web sight. Cool camo pattern. Will look great on a stock!

Tell me more of this special Krylon flat black coating on the stainless barrel. Is this some new NASA invention..... grin

Double secret polyresin code name Special K 1999
That second one looks really nice.
I thought the first one looked good...

And I think the second one looks even better! Nice work.
Posted By: EricM Re: A Stab at Kuiu Vias Camo - 10/26/13
Oh yeah, #2 is really rockin'! Great work! This would disappear next to my Vias camo guide jacket! smile

Eric
Posted By: Chrome Re: A Stab at Kuiu Vias Camo - 10/27/13
Man that looks good!

Sort of matches your dinning room...
Originally Posted by Chrome
Man that looks good!

Sort of matches your dinning room...

Haha. I'm not sure why the gray looks bluish in the picture. It's not blue at all.
Posted By: slg888 Re: A Stab at Kuiu Vias Camo - 10/27/13
Looks really good.
Posted By: Jeffpg Re: A Stab at Kuiu Vias Camo - 10/27/13
I'm really diggin' your after after as I read this wearing one of my 2 Vias camo guide jackets. It was love at first sight for me with their camo pattern.

I have several rifle stocks that you can play with if you run out of test material, lol. Especially since you're just down the road from me!

Valiant effort indeed!

Jeff
Can you do pictures of the stencils? I'm not totally following your description, sorry.
digging the paint job!
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: A Stab at Kuiu Vias Camo - 10/27/13
Looks great to me.......clearly, you have lots of patience!
Posted By: Scorpion Re: A Stab at Kuiu Vias Camo - 10/28/13
I think you did a pretty impressive job.

Next time I think you should give Kuiu Verde camo a shot! Looks to be slightly more challenging! grin
Posted By: biga231 Re: A Stab at Kuiu Vias Camo - 10/29/13
What paint colors/brands did you use for the after after job?
The textured paint colors are Sandstone and Dark Pewter.

[Linked Image]
Wow. High tech stuff there. Where can us normal folks get our hands on those specialized coatings? How expensive are they? Thinking that stuff could look killer on a bow as well
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized
Wow. High tech stuff there. Where can us normal folks get our hands on those specialized coatings? How expensive are they? Thinking that stuff could look killer on a bow as well

Hi tech, indeed. Few have ever seen such....much less owned this kind of coating material.
Posted By: prm Re: A Stab at Kuiu Vias Camo - 11/01/13
Looks great. I really like that look. I've got a 338-06 I want to do in either Cabela's Outfitter or Kuiu Verde.
MSh, just saw this and I want to tell you, that's a fine looking rifle. Send it up to NE Miss and I'll break it in for you. grin
Would'nt do that for just anybody.
Posted By: RDW Re: A Stab at Kuiu Vias Camo - 11/01/13
I don't care for that style camo but you did a damn good job!
I like them both - I'd be perfectly satisfied with attempt number 1 and number 2 looks great also. Congrats!
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: A Stab at Kuiu Vias Camo - 11/03/13
very cool looking
© 24hourcampfire