Home
I'm about to order a new McMillan, I love the swirly stocks, but it seems the painted Prolane and speckle tone stocks are begining to replace the Ole McSwirly, however you spell it....

THOUGHT'S from the Fire??
Why would you ask OTHERS what YOU want?

I never have cared what others think. I get a gun, caliber, stock, color of stock, etc... to make ME happy.

I don't know if thats a reply you wanted, but thats how I feel about it.

I"m not done with the swirls either, just have no clue what or when the next one will be...
Nah, McSwirly is the trademark. My next mickey will be a swirly

Most folks get the painted ones for EDGE fill
Buzzsaw,

Those painted, speckle abortions are just that. Abortions.

People look at a McSwirly and say "GODDDAMN! IS THAT A MCMILLAN???" Meanwhile they have a six foot erection with a cheeseburger on the end of it.

You'll never see that type of reaction to a painted stock.

Travis
Originally Posted by rost495

I never have cared what others think. I get a gun, caliber, stock, color of stock, etc... to make ME happy.

Everyone cares what I think. Everyone.

Travis
Originally Posted by deflave
Buzzsaw,

People look at a McSwirly and say "GODDDAMN! IS THAT A MCMILLAN???" Meanwhile they have a six foot erection with a cheeseburger on the end of it.

Travis

Travis, this may be the most accurate post I've ever read. I tip my hat to you sir.
Thanks and GFY.

Travis
Everyone loves Travis !!!!

Great advice, I was hoping the McSwirlies were still kickin it !!!

I'm frreeekkiin color blind though...oh well here goes !!!
My next McMillan order will be a Varmint in funky 50yellow 25black 25white. Nothin' cooler than a gaudy rifle.
Things that are purely cosmetic are highly susceptible to coming in and out of fashion. I think the McSwirly finish falls into this category. I'll stick with my boring colored McEdges.

Buzzsaw,

Travis

I've always thought they were kind of ugly, but if they'll do that for me then I'll buy one. It's gotta be cheaper than all those extenze pills being pushed by smilin' Bob.
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
I'm about to order a new McMillan, I love the swirly stocks, but it seems the painted Prolane and speckle tone stocks are begining to replace the Ole McSwirly, however you spell it....

I saw my first Swirly over 20 years ago... thought they were ugly then, think they're ugly now.

I call them Brunswick (bowling ball) stocks...
Buzzsaw,

Travis

I hope I never see that reaction, period! laugh

I wouldn't mind a Swirly but if I'm gonna get a Micky I'd prolly go with an Edge...
Bowling ball, that's funny but kinda true
I try to pick colors that make the curmudgeons gag.
I never thought they had cool factor. I prefer the texture and sheen of flat paint. I've owned a couple swirlies and they just didn't do it for me.
Buzzsaw,

Travis

WEll Said.. Noth'un but a McSwirly for me either wink Paint is for UGLY Girls...
The real question is does Travis start with the erection or the cheeseburger?
Originally Posted by Brad

I saw my first Swirly over 20 years ago... thought they were ugly then, think they're ugly now.

I call them Brunswick (bowling ball) stocks...

I agree--McSwirleys haven't lost their cool factor, but they weren't cool to begin with.

I'm not saying painted stocks are better. The only stocks I drool over have fiddleback.
When I order my next lot of McM stocks, they will be marbled McSwirlys. If I buy stocks that others have ordered, I'll buy based on price and specific need. Most of the internet special stocks that I've ordered from McM have been painted.

The marbled color mix is uniquely McM.

Jeff
El yucko McBarfo
Every generation has its stock fads as people try to build unique rifles to distinguish them from the masses.Like the horse-cock pistol grips,grotesque combs and squared forends of the 50's and 60's.

Problem is with everyone trying to look "different", they all end up looking the same.
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Every generation has its stock fads as people try to build unique rifles to distinguish them from the masses.Like the horse-cock pistol grips,grotesque combs and squared forends of the 50's and 60's.

Problem is with everyone trying to look "different", they all end up looking the same.

Are we talking stocks or tattoos?
All tattoos look the same...to me. Some are just worse than others. grin
As Yamaha once wrote, "Different folks, different strokes". You spec out your builds and spend your $$ to suit you and I'll do the same.

I had a similar reaction when I took a McM stocked rifle to a Hunter Education class that I was teaching. A look of wonderment when I told them that the McM stock cost more, by itself, than the Marlin XS7 rifle that I was comparing it to.

Jeff
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas

The only stocks I drool over have fiddleback.

This is a discussion about real stocks.

Travis
Originally Posted by BobinNH

I'd say the McSwirl is a pretty long running fad at this point. Not sure what you mean about horse cock, but the squared forends on the old Sakos are bad freakin' ass.

You must remember that once you commit to a synthetic, you have three choices:

1.) Paint

2.) Paint that looks like it was [bleep] on by aliens.

3.) Swirl.

Might as well go all in and go Swirl.

Travis
Yeah I don't get the webbing spray deal for stocks.
Stock bukake...
It's hard for me not to go Edge on a hunting rifle which leaves the swirl out.

You must remember that once you commit to a synthetic, you have three five choices:

1.) Paint

2.) Paint that looks like it was [bleep] on by aliens. (funny!)

3.) Swirl.

4). Molded-in color.

5). Fiberglass cloth showing with gel coat.

Granted, I'd take a Swirl over a lot of the Alien [bleep] Paint Schemes I've seen, but I'd take molded-in camo over any swirl I've ever seen. Ok, 99.9% of swirls I've seen. There are one or two that don't make me barf.
At the end of the day, Polane-T is pretty darn tough and if you feel the need to touch it up, Testers Model Paint is what McMillan recommends. Seems to me some scratches and wear don't take away from a painted stock one bit... like was said, Edge stocks only come with paint or Fiberglass Cloth w/ Gel Coat.
I do like the molded in camo also.

An EDGE with brown paint and red pad is as close to good looking as paint can get IMO.

Surely even Brad and Bob can appreciate the McWoody patterns?

Travis
How can this EVER lose it's cool factor? Huh?

[Linked Image]
Is that a horse cock?

Travis
Aren't you the expert?
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
Aren't you the expert?

Pussy is my forte.

I'm not from the south.

Travis
I have never seen a Mcswirl that I cared for. Love the camo stocks though.
Is that a horse cock?

Travis
omg that was funny
I hate Alien [bleep]

Great opinions here, Thanks

flaming horse cock maybe?

I like it though but somewhere back in the Django unchained days, I picked up a bunch of "soul" in my bloodline
I hate Alien [bleep]

flaming horse cock maybe?

I like it

This is all I get from your post grin
Come on you are from Bama, you have some soul in you somewhere??
laugh

Strange turn this thread has taken. Horse cocks and alien [bleep]; must be Travis.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
It's hard for me not to go Edge on a hunting rifle which leaves the swirl out.

Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I have never seen a Mcswirl that I cared for. Love the camo stocks though.
Buzzsaw,

Travis

Travis...your moving up on my list...first the gaiter recommendations and now this....The only thing I don't like about them is in my parts when someone sees them, they ask if the plastic stock will hold up as good as wood...I tell them the answer is in their wife's dresser drawer...
Buzzsaw,

Travis

Said as delicately as always, 'flave. You da man.

Oh, and GFY, sir. Have a nice day.
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN

Travis...your moving up on my list...first the gaiter recommendations and now this....The only thing I don't like about them is in my parts when someone sees them, they ask if the plastic stock will hold up as good as wood...I tell them the answer is in their wife's dresser drawer...

Moving up? I should begin and remain at the top.

GFY.

Travis
Originally Posted by KDK

Said as delicately as always, 'flave. You da man.

Oh, and GFY, sir. Have a nice day.

I'll have whatever kind of day I choose. Thanks and GFY.

Travis
I'd buy one if they offered them in an Edge. I ain't spending $500-$600 for a stock heavier than factory.
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
Yeah I don't get the webbing spray deal for stocks.
Stock bukake...

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by JMR40
I'd buy one if they offered them in an Edge. I ain't spending $500-$600 for a stock heavier than factory.

Heavier than factory?

Travis
Mo betta' than factory regardless
I can love a McSwirl for the guy that just don't give a [bleep]. I don't give a [bleep] and have several
I'll take a McSwirly over the Edge anyday. Painted stocks are.....well, painted stocks.

Yap, carrying those xtra few ounces will wear you out... laugh

Striped McSwirly
[Linked Image][/URL]
I think swirl has lost its cool only because people are ordering edge construction for lightweight.
how can the swirly loose its coolness?? I am not sure that I have even seen another swirly at the gun range while I was there. If I did I would be like whoa there is a mickey. mickeys just feel right. I also use the swirly to attempt to camo my gun, a mix of 50 olive 25 tan and 25 gray makes a halfway decent sage brush camo. I like having the color molded in. I don't worry about paint flaking off, and to those that know its easily seen as a mickey. I wonder if you can choose just one molded in color and then not need to paint the stock.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I think swirl has lost its cool only because people are ordering edge construction for lightweight.

McSwirls will always be cool. Always.

Travis
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
McSwirls will always be cool. Always.

Sing it sister....
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I wonder if you can choose just one molded in color and then not need to paint the stock.

Sure...here's a black one....

[Linked Image]
Buzzsaw, Those painted, speckle abortions are just that. Abortions. People look at a McSwirly and say "GODDDAMN! IS THAT A MCMILLAN???" Meanwhile they have a six foot erection with a cheeseburger on the end of it. You'll never see that type of reaction to a painted stock. Travis

Well played!
they ask if the plastic stock will hold up as good as wood...I tell them the answer is in their wife's dresser drawer...
TFF! laugh
With the lighter contour barrels I prefer, the graphite stocks balance better. Thus I don't run the swirlies much any more. They are enough heavier that the rifle doesn't balance as well and leans to the butt heavy side.

Swirlies for heavy barrels and hard kickers. Unpainted Edges for lightweight rifles.

The key is to build for balance.
Unpainted McEdges are hawt.
Jeeez I just "got" the part about in the wifes top drawer, funny as chit !!!
7-08 is a funny mofo.

Is it just me? Or does aalf's big, black stock look awesome?

Travis
If a McM was my choice, I cannot see buying anything other than an Edge unless the round needed Magnum fill. Rifles for such rounds would look goofy in a McSwirely IMV.
Nope, swirlies RULE!
Is it just me? Or does aalf's big, black stock look awesome?

Another black beauty.....

[Linked Image]
AALF is my BENCHREST HERO Sweet rifles my friend !!! I love the solid swirley pattern too

Swirleies ROCK !!!
Thanks.....

Also, these are not clear coated, just wet sanded, starting with 400 and ending in 1000 or 1500, with an occasional car wax to spiff them up, albeit a tad too shiny for hunting.
<sigh>

this is cool:

[Linked Image]

this is practical, but at some point I might McSwirly it

[Linked Image]

I like variety, what can I say?

I'd rather see the poster from the Whitney in the bottom pic than the rifle grin
I like how some call almost a pound difference between a Mcswirl and an Edge "a few ounces."

Originally Posted by George_in_SD
The real question is does Travis start with the erection or the cheeseburger?

The cheeseburger is fat chick bait... eek
I still like the looks of the swirls a lot and if going that route I will probably do woody on next ones. I do really like the unpainted edge also......need more toys! Of course exhibition walnut is my favorite
I like how some call almost a pound difference between a Mcswirl and an Edge "a few ounces."

Swirlies I've had in sporter configurations ran around 32-34 ounces. Edge stocks configured similarly were 23-27 ounces.

It's been more like a half pound in my experience, if you are looking at the same stock pattern, inlet, and recoil pad. 23-24oz vs 32-33oz on a typical sporter stock with a 1" pad.
I have classics that weigh 29 ounces. About 1/2 pound is correct, sometimes less, sometimes more, depending on stock.
My latest Edge in Sako Hunter weighs 28oz with a half inch pad. The factory stock only weighs 30oz. (verified on postage scale). I paid $297 per ounce for a "lightweight" rifle. The gel coats are heavier than factory.
On the other hand, a painted regular fill Mcmillan Mountain rifle pattern stocks can come in under 30.

The stocks with more material involved will come out a bunch heavier than the svelte models, regardless of fill.
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
On the other hand, a painted regular fill Mcmillan Mountain rifle pattern stocks can come in under 30.

The stocks with more material involved will come out a bunch heavier than the svelte models, regardless of fill.

Yep, pattern and pad make a difference. The Sako-ish models seem to weigh more. Like you, I've had painted small-pattern stocks that were more like 29-30 with a 1" pad. The one Edge that I have was also a smaller pattern (M7KS) and it goes 24oz with a 1" pad. Then again, some folks have gotten MR and Classics in the past that went sub-30oz with gel-coat and pad while mine have all been 31-32oz. Remember the old "KS-fill" that folks used to specify?
I have an Edge in Mtn Rifle pattern too, and it is high 20's also. None of mine were specified for magnums either. My latest Edge was built for a 6.5x55, half inch pad, two studs.
Yeah, I wish the "KS-fill" was still an option. My last couple of Mcmillans have come out heavier than I wanted, unfortunately.....
I know one thing, Edge stocks I order will likely all be unpainted from here on out.
Originally Posted by aalf
Sure...here's a black one....

[Linked Image]

I LIKE IT! 33% Black, 33% Dark black, and 33% without color! Awesome!!!

DMc
© 24hourcampfire