Home
Posted By: RDW Remington Titanium , a good deal? - 01/31/14
At the price people pay for a run of the mill 700 Remington barrel screwed on a titanium action with a decent stock, it seems this is a better deal at 1,335.00.

[Linked Image]
Depends, it adds another 100 to lighten the bolt. Add in shipping, FFL transfer fees, order the stock, trigger, barrel, pay to have it all done up, and wait a year, a factory Ti looks better to a lot of people, and instant gratification......

What is it?
http://www.pierceengineeringltd.com/category/actions/product/new-titanium-action
That's a nice looking action and would make a nice LW rifle, a little pricey but not to bad!
Funny, but a buddy and I were talking about these very actions today

I REALLY like them
I ordered one a couple of months ago. The key is to have Pierce build the rifle. Send them a stock and barrel and the price is very competitive with other custom builds. They are great guys to deal with and make a first rate product. I think they offset the extra price of the action if you have them do all the work.

I just built a 6.5 off of a stiller action and the final price for both rifles will be within 100 dollars.
ejo, does it use the factory 2.8 mag box?
I have a Pierce Ti in the safe. Plan on building it this year. John Pierce is great to do business with.
I am building a 280ai so I went with a standard mag but I believe their are other options. If you give them a call they will go through your build ideas and are a big help.
Word has it they have to be COATED to not STICK....per Pierce.

Butch, did you have then coat yours? They said it can come either way. Let us know how smooth it is - what I meant to ask you when we spoke recently.
Cliff.....Coated with what?
And what do you mean by "stick"?

Called this afternoon and it's 2.8" or a Wyatt's box for ~2.910".
After I build mine, I will use PVD by Balzer? New Guy used this on his Ti Mauser. I cycled the bolt and it was very smooth. Titanium is sticky.
+1, and a thin film of good grease helps too.
Stick as in not running smoothly, CERAKOTE is I believe what Pierce folks told me, Butch can elaborate I am sure.

I did not have Pierce coat mine I want PVD. John said it sounded like a good idea. I have no opinion on cerakote. CAS did cerakote my Grandson's hunting rifle. I haven't seen it in 3 or 4 yrs.
I have never heard of the Remington titanium action sticking, at least not that I remember.

On the other hand, a Ti 260 popped up on GB and illustrates my point exactly, bid to 1350.00, reserve not met and a BIN of 2400.00. So a nice action with a run of the mill Remington barrel and a decent stock.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=391489230
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
I have a Pierce Ti in the safe. Plan on building it this year. John Pierce is great to do business with.
Yes he is! John called me today to tell me my action is shipping on tomorrow. Can't wait.
Sweet, a 2 time Obama voter/supporter endorses Pierce, what a ringing endorsement.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Sweet, a 2 time Obama voter/supporter endorses Pierce, what a ringing endorsement.

OUCH!
Originally Posted by Popapi
Yes he is! John called me today to tell me my action is shipping on tomorrow. Can't wait.
butchlambert1 and Popapi what are you building with your Pierce titaniums. Caliber and specifications. I've been thinking about trying a Pierce myself they sure are beautiful!
if butch builds anything like the guns in the pics he sent me a while back, it will be nothing more than a boat anchor.

and he should send it to me so i can dispose of it.

kidding obviously. everything i saw was real high end, beautiful wood and metal work too.

Mine will be a very light 280AI. I've got to pay for and finish 3 or 4 in progress first.
Originally Posted by Bigamp
butchlambert1 and Popapi what are you building with your Pierce titaniums. Caliber and specifications. I've been thinking about trying a Pierce myself they sure are beautiful!
300wsm on Long Magnum Ti Pierce, Bartlein #3 10 twist @ 25" spiraled by Karl with APA MicroBastard tapered 15 degrees, Huber 2 stage, McMillan Edge black with gray speckletone with HS DBM done by GRADOUS!
300wsm on Long Magnum Ti Pierce, Bartlein #3 10 twist @ 25" spiraled by Karl with APA MicroBastard tapered 15 degrees, Huber 2 stage, McMillan Edge black with gray speckletone with HS DBM done by GRADOUS!

Two things, Popapi.

1. What do you expect that setup to weigh?

2. I want first crack at it if you ever sell! smile

Any special reason for a short action catridge in a LA?
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
[quote=Popapi]

Any special reason for a short action catridge in a LA?
To have room to seat the longer Bergers out OR use action for a future 300WinMag build IF need be wink !

Originally Posted by 8SNAKE

Two things, Popapi.

1. What do you expect that setup to weigh?

2. I want first crack at it if you ever sell! smile
Under 8lbs scope and you'll be the first Guy!!!!! LOL!!!!
Brother Popapi,
You are correct. I would never do a RSAUM or WSM on a short action. You would have to seat some bullets so far into the case that you don't have enough room for a good powder charge.
Mine will be a very light 280AI. I've got to pay for and finish 3 or 4 in progress first.

Do you know what the specs on yours will be? I have some Remington and Browning Ti rifles and a Pierce custom intrigues me.
Brother Popapi,
You are correct. I would never do a RSAUM or WSM on a short action. You would have to seat some bullets so far into the case that you don't have enough room for a good powder charge.

That's why Borden makes an alpine mag action and Defiance has a med action, personally if I'm going LA it makes since to go with the 300wm, alot of folks run the short fats in SA's very efficently, to me it just seems like a step backwards to stuff them in a LA.....ymmv
Brother Popapi,
Bro. I did my research on this one want it to be efficient, pretty, and definitely perform!
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Brother Popapi,

That's why Borden makes an alpine mag action and Defiance has a med action, personally if I'm going LA it makes since to go with the 300wm, alot of folks run the short fats in SA's very efficently, to me it just seems like a step backwards to stuff them in a LA.....ymmv
To each his own I ran into problems with my 7RSAUM and first Ti 300WSM as per seating to get the efficiency I wanted, so I sold them.......never again will I do either on a short magnum action.
What kind of efficency were you looking for that you didn't get, because of seating depth?
The BEST I could by getting into the lands if need be. Getting MAXIMUM results out of the cartridge and bullets used. Wasn't getting what I wanted from what I was using in the short magnum actions.
There is a difference between a Borden Alpine Mag action,a Defiance XM action and a Model 7 or 700 SA with Mag bolt face, no doubt the LA will work I just look at the short mags and the SA as made for each other if throated properly!
I understand that, but I wanted a Ti Pierce not a Borden or Defiance. What I was running into with what I was using was the rifle shooting great with bullets longer than the short magnums magazine/bottom metal..........problem/s eliminated with the long action magnum Pierce...............not only that I have goobs of brass and Forster dies for the 300WSM.
I don't think he understands.
Mine is in hand not will be. What specs are you asking for?
This is a reply to 8SNAKE
Specs of the 280 AI you plan to build off the action? Your goal if a light weight mountain rifle seem very similar to what I would do if going the same route, so I wondered what other components you planned to pair with the action and your goal weight when finished.

I understand, I just find it a little odd to spend the extra $$ for Ti to try and shave every ounce and then go LA on a cartridge that if throated correctly works great!
I tried.
Each individual has needs/wants and they buy what THEY decide will fulfill their goals. Why in the he'll does anyone care about the specs on anyone elses rifles. Popapi has very specific details on how he wants HIS rifle. End of story.
Originally Posted by Mod7Nut
Each individual has needs/wants and they buy what THEY decide will fulfill their goals. Why in the he'll does anyone care about the specs on anyone elses rifles. Popapi has very specific details on how he wants HIS rifle. End of story.

You are correct! I'm still thinking of a balsa wood carbon fiber laminate stock with a carbon fiber skin. I have a Shilen trigger and a PT&G 3 pos safety. I will use aluminum scope bases and rings. It will probably be an ADL style. Only thing I haven't decided on the barrel. It will not be a carbon fiber barrel. It will be from one of the better known barrel makers.

You are correct! I'm still thinking of a balsa wood carbon fiber laminate stock with a carbon fiber skin. I have a Shilen trigger and a PT&G 3 pos safety. I will use aluminum scope bases and rings. It will probably be an ADL style. Only thing I haven't decided on the barrel. It will not be a carbon fiber barrel. It will be from one of the better known barrel makers.
Well said Mod7Nut.......Brother Lambert thats gonna be nice!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know poppa gets some of the nicest custom builds I have ever seen. He leaves no stone unturned, does his homework and his rifles flat out shoot. With you plans for the new 300WSM and Gradious building it don't see how you can go wrong
I know poppa gets some of the nicest custom builds I have ever seen. He leaves no stone unturned, does his homework and his rifles flat out shoot. With you plans for the new 300WSM and Gradious building it don't see how you can go wrong
I'll have everything here tomorrow but the HS DBM......shipping parts out to Gradous on Tuesday Lord willing!!!!!!! Man I can't wait!!!!!!!!

Like going 100 mph and putting it in reverse......
That don't slow a smallblock chevy and a powerglide down one bit and I know that to be fact!
Originally Posted by RDW
That don't slow a smallblock chevy and a powerglide down one bit and I know that to be fact!

That's funny my first car was a 67 chevy with small block and powerglide we use to punish that car laugh
Originally Posted by RDW
wink
A work of art WOW, loving the Titanium recoil lug grin!!!!!!!!!!!! OFF to Gradous in the morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[img:center][Linked Image][/img]
[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Very nice. I would sure love to build with one someday.

Looking forward to seeing the end product!
As soon as Mr. Gradous get it done I'll post it Gledeasy!
Very nice, I am walking the line over using the 7-08 EW for my Brux #2 260 barrel and ordering an Edge or using a Pierce and the First Gen Ti stock I have now.
RDW that would be nice guy!
Can't dig that shine. Are you going to coat it?
Yes Dog, GOTTA coat it...............#graphiteblack
So notwithstanding all of the above I still don't quite get it although I respect your decisions and look forward to seeing a beautiful rifle.

Did you set out to truly build a lightweight rifle or did you merely want a nice Ti long action for use with a short mag?

I guess the reason I ask is the use of a #3 Bartlien. Their #3 is like everyone else's #4 finishing at .660" at 24" which is not light even with fluting.

Anyway looking forward to the finished product as I am sure it will be very nice.

twofish
With Robert building it, it will be exceptional no doubt!
Originally Posted by twofish
So notwithstanding all of the above I still don't quite get it although I respect your decisions and look forward to seeing a beautiful rifle.

Did you set out to truly build a lightweight rifle or did you merely want a nice Ti long action for use with a short mag?

I guess the reason I ask is the use of a #3 Bartlien. Their #3 is like everyone else's #4 finishing at .660" at 24" which is not light even with fluting.

Anyway looking forward to the finished product as I am sure it will be very nice.

twofish
As per the #3 Bart. I went with what Gradous TOLD me to go with and that was it. I was going with a #3 Schneider until then, being Karl will be spiraling I feel it'll still be under or a little over 7lbs all done up!
I see. I don't blame you as "only fools ignore the advice of the wise".

Can't wait to see it all gussied up!

Twofish

The picture in my mind is looking like it's going to be a nice looking rifle! He feels it should preform well with the 185+ grain bullets.........to say the least I'm stoked about this build.
© 24hourcampfire