Home
Posted By: wildone 280AI build questions - 03/30/14
Trying to help a buddy out here with a build. Here is what we have so far

Defiance action
Lilja 9 twist #2 straight or possibly #3 fluted
Jewel
Looking like a bansner LW sheephunter stock
He likes a bdl style so possibly the kit from stock's stocks.

What should he expect to pay a smith for TFC, cut crown, and trigger install?
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: 280AI build questions - 03/30/14
It really just depends on who he sends it to, Thread,chamber and crown is usally around $200-250, bead blasting would add $30 -50,I would install the trigger myself unless your looking to get it adjusted!
Posted By: JasonF Re: 280AI build questions - 03/30/14
With the tolerances of Defiance and Jewell, installing the trigger is a 5 minute DIY job. Just need a pin punch and a small plastic mallet.

Sounds like a nice build. I would go with an ADL set up but that is just personal preference.

Which Defiance options are you looking at - the full Sheep Hunter lightweight version?

Another place to look if you are chasing weight is the Pierce Ti action.
prices are across the board for a thread, chamber, and crown. Most places I have seen are running around $300.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: 280AI build questions - 03/30/14
The top smith's are usually $300 or higher...but there is someone that alot of folks use that is around $85 but haven't use him myself!
Posted By: gene270 Re: 280AI build questions - 03/31/14
there are plenty of benchrest smiths that will chamber for 200.00 or less and you will have top notch job
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: 280AI build questions - 03/31/14
Yes you just have to look around, something I have ran into is that some of the BR smith's are some of the best machinest,but are not so good at bedding or stockwork or even finishing touches, so you end up spending more shipping it to different smith's to get it the way you want!
Posted By: gene270 Re: 280AI build questions - 03/31/14
if you need stock work check out Alex Sitman at masterclassstocks.com he does impeccable work
Posted By: wildone Re: 280AI build questions - 03/31/14
Anyone have a weight on the LA rebel ? I couldn't find it on their site , going with the sheep hunter style.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: 280AI build questions - 04/01/14
Are you looking for a DBM set-up or a lightweight BDL unit ?
Posted By: wildone Re: 280AI build questions - 04/01/14
I tried to talk him into going ADL but he's not a fan. It looks like he is going with the PT&G bottom metal set up. He is looking for a light weigh not an ultra light Hoping to be at or under 7.5 scoped for the whole deal. We ran some preliminary math last night and using 28 oz as an action weight he should come in at about 7.1. I looked hard on the net last night but could not find anything that gave a weight for the defiance rebel. Probably because there are a couple of configurations of it. I was just trying to get him a ball park number on the action but couldn't find one.
Posted By: haverluk Re: 280AI build questions - 04/01/14
The Defiance action is an awesome choice but make sure you get the Standard/Remington tang rather than the Sheep Hunter tang unless you start with a flat top blank.

In my research I couldn't find anyone that had the SH tang programed in there machines. Mcm said they could do it but they would need the action for god knows how long. Standard tang will save you this hassle at less than a half ounce penalty.

Sounds like a nice build!
Posted By: wildone Re: 280AI build questions - 04/01/14
standard tang was the choice had a feeling that may be a problem as well.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: 280AI build questions - 04/02/14

If he wants a a nice machined aluminum "Oberndorf" style (inside the bow floor plate release), McMillan now makes a really nice looking unit that has the same lines as the Williams Firearms unit. I have the Williams unit that I had finished in NP3 to give it that SS finish look and to make it corrosion proof to boot.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: wildone Re: 280AI build questions - 04/02/14
I the the weight of the oberndorf is a turn off to him . The PTG he is looking at is 3-3 oz the oberndorf version of same is a 1/4 pound more at 7 oz. Since he's not going ADL but wants to stay some what light it was kind of a compromise on that end.

Bansner told him we're pretty busy right now to do anything as far as the stock or tfc is concerned so . Off to mcmillan he goes for an edge and is looking into Eddie F for the work now. He would prefer a one stop shop if he can find someone to work with.

He also can't find anyone that will flute a #3 any ideas?
Posted By: SKane Re: 280AI build questions - 04/02/14
Originally Posted by wildone

Dean, are you inquiring about barrel manufacturer that will flute a #3 or a third-party that will do fluting to the barrel?
Posted By: RDFinn Re: 280AI build questions - 04/03/14
PT&G aluminum Oberndorf weighs 7 ounces ? Just for S&G's I'd email McMillan and ask them what their aluminum BM unit weighs.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: 280AI build questions - 04/03/14

Wild guy, I asked McMillan what their machined oberndorf style floorplate assembly weighed and they said it weighs 2.4 ounces.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: wildone Re: 280AI build questions - 04/03/14
Scott, he has called lilja , and hart and they won't do it on a number 3 at the factory. His next option is to see if he can have a 3rd party do it . I was thinking of asking Nate or Karl to put some shallow flutes in it . He wants to do a 2 tone cerakote job on the bbl.

RD- Yeah according to the info posted on Stockys stocks it is 7oz because it is steel . Thank you for reaching out to Mcmillan for me , I have passed this info along to him . I'm thinking he may go for that because it appears he's going with an Edge stock after his conversation with Bansners the other day.
Posted By: gene270 Re: 280AI build questions - 04/03/14
what is the issue with bansner they stocked my Ackley that has a borden action fluted #3 and ptg obendorf bottom metal
Posted By: RDFinn Re: 280AI build questions - 04/04/14
Any time bro. The Williams unit I have on my 280 Ackley is beautifully made and solid as a rock, but it is no light weight. The McMillan unit appears to be close to identical and knowing McMillan, it's a safe bet that they are very high quality. I bugged Williams a few times about making their unit out of aluminum but for some reason they don't want to. I think they'd sell a bunch to custom builders especially the ones selling high end "sheep rifles". The only other high quality oberndorf style maker is Sunny Hill and their unit in aluminum is around $350 or slightly more perhaps. Of course you could have an Echols aluminum job for $600. McMillan's unit is made for them by an outside source, but I don't know who and they wouldn't say.
Posted By: wildone Re: 280AI build questions - 04/04/14
Gene- Bansner pretty much told him that they were to busy building their own stuff on their own actions to take anything on from the outside at the moment, at least that was the impression Mark left with him. I like Mark and recommended him as I have 2 pieces of his work.

RD- The sunny hill is nice I have that on my 300wm. I don't know if he's gonna be up for the price of admission for the Echols though. LOL
Posted By: gene270 Re: 280AI build questions - 04/04/14
check with mastercalssstocks.com Alex is top notch and uses bansner stocks look at his work on the web site
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: 280AI build questions - 04/04/14
Call Karl Feldkamp about your barrel flute. He has done several #3 contour barrels for me and others. Karl is pretty much the guru of barrel fluting and will do a great job for you & a quick turn-around time.
Posted By: JRS3 Re: 280AI build questions - 04/05/14
Originally Posted by SKane

Dean, are you inquiring about barrel manufacturer that will flute a #3 or a third-party that will do fluting to the barrel?

I spoke with Benchmark this week about a fluted #3 contour and they will do it. The said the contour would be the same as Lilja's and to use that spec when I order my stock from McMillan.
Posted By: wildone Re: 280AI build questions - 04/06/14
We just found the same thing out on friday. He called them , what kind of number did they give you for that if you don't mind me asking ?
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: 280AI build questions - 04/07/14
Scott, he has called lilja , and hart and they won't do it on a number 3 at the factory. His next option is to see if he can have a 3rd party do it . I was thinking of asking Nate or Karl to put some shallow flutes in it . He wants to do a 2 tone cerakote job on the bbl.

That's odd - I have a factory fluted #3 contour Hart 7mm barrel in the closet. Received late Feb of last year, ordererd for a project that has been temporarily postponed....

[Linked Image]

David
Posted By: Taco2fiddy7 Re: 280AI build questions - 04/07/14
Anyone have experience with fluting a Broughton 5c after finished?
Posted By: wildone Re: 280AI build questions - 04/07/14
Can- that is odd. He has done a few barrel jobs with Hart in the past like 3 or 4 I think so he's a known customer up there . Thats real strange . Hart was the first guy he called and he told him he wouldn't do it. I'll have to get him to call them again and see what's up with that. Are you selling that BBL?
Posted By: Greenbrier Re: 280AI build questions - 04/07/14
I have a Broughton #3.1 25-06 that Karl spiral fluted for me. It is the rifle I will grab if I KNOW I am going to have a long shot. Very accurate!
Posted By: wildone Re: 280AI build questions - 04/07/14
Can- he just called Karen again and she said she wont do a # 3 fluted are you sure its a 3 and not a 4 contour he will do a 4 ? If its .65 at the muzzle its a 4
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: 280AI build questions - 04/07/14
Can- he just called Karen again and she said she wont do a # 3 fluted are you sure its a 3 and not a 4 contour he will do a 4 ? If its .65 at the muzzle its a 4

I'm sure just double checked the invoice. Wasn't really looking to sell - a good barrel in the closet will get used eventually... I'm not sure it would be suitable for your build anyway - I was planning on sticking it on my Rem model 7 in an Edge stock and wasn't sure if I wanted 21 or 22" barrel.

The flutes are only cut to where they would be 1" from the end on a 21" barrel, 2" on a 22" barrel. I'm betting you are wanting a longer barrel on your 280AI and it might look like a Kimber Longmaster barrel. Maybe the shorter length of the flutes was the reason they were willing for me?

I sent you a pm.

David
Posted By: SKane Re: 280AI build questions - 04/11/14

Dean, I talked to Nate a couple of days ago and inquired for you - he's fluted #2's in the past (and will continue to do so) but mentioned the flutes are obviously more shallow than a heavier contoured tube.
Posted By: wildone Re: 280AI build questions - 04/14/14
Thats gtk Scott thanks for asking . Thats all he's looking for anyway just for cosmetics, He wants to 2 tone it.
Posted By: jsthntn247 Re: 280AI build questions - 04/18/14
Here is a Bartlein 2.5 contour barrel in stock. Most reputable smith's can do a fluting job for ya if you just have to have it done.
http://bugholes.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=88_89_93&product_id=511
© 24hourcampfire