Home
Posted By: bwinters M70 McMillan stock options - 04/27/14
I have a M70 EW in 300 WSM with the B&C factory stock. I dont hate the B&C but would greatly prefer a McM. I also have a M70 FW sitting in a Edge compact. Having hunted and shot the Edge compact, I think its a bit too slim/compact for a magnum rifle. As a result, I'd like to explore other McM stocks. I like the Edge weight but not necessarily the compact version. I believe a guy can order Edge technology with other McM stocks. Is that true?

What McM stocks have you guys put on M70's? I'm looking for something with 0.75 to 1.0" drop at the heel at 13.5" LOP. I'm not crazy about Monte Carlo stocks and prefer the classic style stock. I also want checkering on pistol grip and forearm.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: M70 McMillan stock options - 04/27/14
b: I think I know what you want....just not sure they make it. frown

If you had a 300 WM it would be easy,but don't think an Echols Legend comes in a short action configuration.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: M70 McMillan stock options - 04/27/14
I tried the Mickey Featherweight on my .300wsm, and it wasn't what I was looking for, it now has a new owner,

You mentioned no Monte Carlo, but the Hunter gets rave reviews from all that own it, I'm patiently waiting for my second Sako Hunter in edge. Fantastic ergos, and also helps with the recoil.
Bob, I called Darcy a while back about my short action, I'm fairly positive shorts are available.
Originally Posted by BobinNH
b: I think I know what you want....just not sure they make it. frown

If you had a 300 WM it would be easy,but don't think an Echols Legend comes in a short action configuration.

You're right. I forgot Darcy was selling those. I'll bet he gets a call next week............
Originally Posted by Kenneth
I tried the Mickey Featherweight on my .300wsm, and it wasn't what I was looking for, it now has a new owner,

You mentioned no Monte Carlo, but the Hunter gets rave reviews from all that own it, I'm patiently waiting for my second Sako Hunter in edge. Fantastic ergos, and also helps with the recoil.

Hey Kenneth - which Hunter are you thinking - model 70 hunting or winchester hunter new?

I could live with the supergrade stock. Anyone have one of these with Edge fill?
Winchester Hunter new, the Palm swell is too cool to pass up.

To be very specific, I'm a lefty, so I have to order the Sako Hunter, which comes in a lefty, However, the Winchester Hunter is basically the same stock, with no option for leftys.
I would go sako hunter pattern or get a Bansner.
Posted By: KLM300 Re: M70 McMillan stock options - 04/27/14
I have A standard fill SuperGrade that goes 28.5 ounces, curious to know what one with edge fill would weight also.
Originally Posted by KLM300
I have A standard fill SuperGrade that goes 28.5 ounces, curious to know what one with edge fill would weight also.

Thats good info. My B&C on my EW weighs exactly 28 oz. I could live with that - and save some money.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: M70 McMillan stock options - 04/27/14
Bob, I called Darcy a while back about my short action, I'm fairly positive shorts are available.

Kenneth I did not know that...I never asked though smile

If they are,that's what I'd get.
standard fill SuperGrade that goes 28.5 ounces, .

You sure about that weight?
Posted By: TDN Re: M70 McMillan stock options - 04/27/14
I am also pretty sure, per conversation with him that Echols is inletting for short actions now. But if the extra cost and/or labor for that is prohibitive I would get the Sako Classic pattern with Edge tech inletted for your M70.
Posted By: TXRam Re: M70 McMillan stock options - 04/27/14

Sounds a little low to me for standard fill. I have both std and edge fill Supergrades - will get weights for both and post shortly.
Call Hill Country Rifles and see if they have the Bridges pattern M70 McMillan available. I didn't know about it until recently, but it looks like a slimmer Echols Legend. The legend is great, but it's more for the big boomers in my opinion. It's a bit much for a slim general purpose rifle.
I'd go Sako Hunter or Legend.

What is the wait like now? Are they back under 6 mo's or are lots of people still 7-8 months out?
Posted By: TXRam Re: M70 McMillan stock options - 04/27/14
Ok, not a perfect comparison, but...

McM Supergrade Std fill long action = 31oz
McM Supergrade Edge fill short action = 23.5oz

Both have 1" Decelerators and inletted for one piece bottom metal and factory sporter barrels.

If you look at that and say the short action stock is gonna weigh just a bit more than a long action (less material removed for action inlet), then there is a minimum 8-9oz difference.
I tried a Supergrade (edge) long action on a 7mm mag (stainless classic). I thought the stock was okay but was a little "clubby" for me. FWIW, I wouldn't buy another one, for myself.
I've also tried a compact (edge) and a fwt (stk fill). The compact was on a pre 64 fwt and I did not care for the stock much. Sold the rifle mainly because of that, actually. Was too thin and comb was too low for me, and foreend was a bit small. Fwt stock were not bad for me (one a factory winlite, the other a stk fill fit to a classic sporter) though I'd prefer a bit more forearm size and a cheekpiece, in a perfect world. I'd probably go with the hunter (sako style) stock or fwt stock if I got another one, though I am not crazy on the looks of the hunter. I'd probably actually look hard at a bansner, especially given pricing and wait for a McMillan (though they are an excellently made stock). I haven't handled a Brown but know of several people who like them.
One of the main reasons I am using a couple Remington 700s currently is that there are a few different stocks that fit me quite well (mcmillans, B&C Ti stocks and factory mountain rifle).
Posted By: KLM300 Re: M70 McMillan stock options - 04/28/14

Yes, 28.5 on my wifes digital kitchen scales and 29 ounces on my Fish-O-Liar scales.
Posted By: EdM Re: M70 McMillan stock options - 04/28/14
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Call Hill Country Rifles and see if they have the Bridges pattern M70 McMillan available. I didn't know about it until recently, but it looks like a slimmer Echols Legend. The legend is great, but it's more for the big boomers in my opinion. It's a bit much for a slim general purpose rifle.

Been interested in this one. Next time I am home I am going to have to swing by their shop and give one a look.
Posted By: Gasman Re: M70 McMillan stock options - 04/30/14
I have Super Grades (including one on a 300 WSM), a Sako Classic, a couple Compact EDGE's, and have fired a buddy's Hunter.

Given that McMillan doesn't make the G&H any longer (a real shame), my choice out of all of the above would be the Super Grade. It handles recoil very nicely. If the forend were a little more rounded, it'd be just about perfect.

I also have a Legend and a Bridges, but as they're not installed yet, I'll refrain from comment on those.

Posted By: TDN Re: M70 McMillan stock options - 05/01/14
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

Been interested in this one. Next time I am home I am going to have to swing by their shop and give one a look.

I have had 2 (still have one on 35 Whelen M70), it is a very quick handling stock in my opinion and deals with recoil well. Once my Legend gets back in my hands I will post some pics of the two side by side - each with M70 Classics on board.
Please do post the Legend. If you could weigh it that would be a bonus.

At the moment, I'm leaning strong McM Super Grade. I dug up the utah708 photo essay thread and think the Super Grade dimensions look like what I'm looking for. It would help to have the weights in the SG in both standard and edge fill.

When I do this, I'll have an Edge Compact for a M70 SA with 1" Decelerator and a B&C EW stock for sale. My goal is to keep the FG pattern to 28 oz for my 300 WSM and 20-24 for my 7 WSM - maybe one standard fill, one edge fill?
Originally Posted by TXRam
Ok, not a perfect comparison, but...

McM Supergrade Std fill long action = 31oz
McM Supergrade Edge fill short action = 23.5oz

Both have 1" Decelerators and inletted for one piece bottom metal and factory sporter barrels.

If you look at that and say the short action stock is gonna weigh just a bit more than a long action (less material removed for action inlet), then there is a minimum 8-9oz difference.

BTW: Thank you for posting!
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer

My issue with the Bansner is the lack of checkering. I want checkering on the pistol grip and forearm.
Posted By: Sevens Re: M70 McMillan stock options - 05/02/14
Originally Posted by bwinters
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer

My issue with the Bansner is the lack of checkering. I want checkering on the pistol grip and forearm.

You can make grip to stand in for checkering. I have seen epoxy used in a few examples and I have personally used liquid nails out of a caulking gun. A little glob of it, then smear it around and use your fingers covered by a plastic bag to dab it until the peaks from a texture to your liking. Can be made fairly subtle or aggressive depending on your preference. Then paint right over it when done.
© 24hourcampfire