Home
Posted By: laker 7mm Remington or Mashburn - 05/18/14
I have a Remington long action just sitting around and am trying to decide between a long throated 7mm Remington or to go with the mashburn to be different. I don't need either of them I just have a sickness I guess wink. I've been the STW route and just want to try something different. How long is the wait typically for mashburn dies from Rcbs and is the wait and reamer cost worth it over a long throated 7mm Remington
Sell that entry level push feed action and shop for one with CRF, and a 3 position M70 type safety that controls the firing pin.

Buy a complete rifle. It's faster, easier and costs less.

Dumb don is an excellent contra indicator.
Here is one.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=416452529

[Linked Image]

Started at $849.99
Posted By: laker Re: 7mm Remington or Mashburn - 05/18/14
Like my Remington actions and plan to stick with it
What part of "I've been the STW route and just want to try something different" did you not understand?
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 7mm Remington or Mashburn - 05/18/14
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Sell that entry level push feed action and shop for one with CRF, and a 3 position M70 type safety that controls the firing pin.

Buy a complete rifle. It's faster, easier and costs less.

Non responsive.No wonder threads get derailed on here....geezus.
Originally Posted by laker

Then you need more experience to appreciate finer actions.

What matters is the rifle and not the specific cartridge and similar ones.

It's the quality of the rifle and rifleman that matter. Of course an unpopular cartridge is not a good investment, nor is a wildcat like that old Mashburn.

I saw a really nice FN Mauser by Browning at a gunshop. It's a 7mm RM at about $1000. Nice stock, nice action, good cartridge.

smile
7mm Weatherby .
Anyways.......
Posted By: Tanner Re: 7mm Remington or Mashburn - 05/18/14
Donny's nurse must have [bleep] with his pill box.

Tanner
Thought about the weatherby just brass is a bitch
Originally Posted by Stonewall
7mm Weatherby .

I agree.

Just run 7mm Rem Mag brass through the 7 Weatherby sizer and fireform.
Well hell I bet that works just fine
I haven't done it personally with a 7 Weatherby, but read an older post here regarding the issue; it worked fine for those involved.

I have used 7 Rem Mag brass to build 257 Weatherby brass. A quick pass through the sizer was all that was needed. Turned out great.

Recommended that you use new brass.
Only drawback is the neck ends up a little short.

I'd go 7Wby too, unless factory ammo is a consideration. If it was, then 7RM.
That just means Laker will never have to worry about trimming smile

I changed my mind. Go 7x61 Sharpe & Hart. The coolest & best 7 Mag. cool
Posted By: KDK Re: 7mm Remington or Mashburn - 05/18/14

Then you need more experience to appreciate finer actions.

It's the quality of the rifle and rifleman that matter. Of course an unpopular cartridge is not a good investment, nor is a wildcat like that old Mashburn.

I saw a really nice FN Mauser by Browning at a gunshop. It's a 7mm RM at about $1000. Nice stock, nice action, good cartridge.

smile

Jesus H. Christ. I like Model 70 Winchesters, but you make me want to sell all mine and buy 700s.
Getting back on topic, I sure liked my 7mm Mashburn while I had it, a lot. Simple proccess to make the cases by running a 300WinMag case through the fullength resizer and VOILA! Done. Significant upgrade over a 7mm RemMag but not as excessively loud and inefficient as the 7mm Rum. Nice looking cartridge, too. Not that such matter in the hunting fields but I do kind dig rifle cartridges that have that 'hot rod' look to them and the Mashburn does. Plus, it will be different from anyone in your elk camp or other hunting group. Good conversation starter, which I like in a rifle.
7 Dakota
The Dakota is great...but I didn't like the brass. The stuff (several bags)I had was splitting at the body/shoulder junction on second firing. At the cost of the stuff, it was annoying. I sold the rifle despite very good ballistics.The Dakota taught me to distrust brass from proprietary small shop cartridges....things don't always go as planned,and I don't know why but I don't need the grief.

I'd rather have good,old WW 300 Win Mag brass and form a Mashburn(nothing to it)....bomb proof and trouble free.

The OP can throat a 7 Rem Mag for a 160 seated to the base of the neck,and will pick up a bit of speed with the 160(not much IME despite several). The neck is too short and he will have jump with lighter bullets...this is not always bad,but bothers some people who like to seat close to the lands..

No matter what you do to a 7 Rem Mag it will never be as fast with any bullet as a Mashburn. The Mashburn has a longer neck and body than the 7 Rem Mag. Mechanically it's a better cartridge.Been shooting mine for the past 4 years and a friend has two others, one a M70 and the other a punched out 7 Rem Mag M700, which is a very easy conversion.We have fired them all plenty of times.

In any of the three it is easy to use Retumbo, H1000,or RL25 to get 3200-3250 with a 160 gr bullet and decent case life; you will also do 3050-3075 with a 175 gr bullet from a 24" barrel. Anytime we try with either of these bullets, these are the velocities we get,even given different barrels and we aren't blowing any primers doing it.I have goosed a 160 to 3330 fps with Retumbo by "accident" with no ill effects but don't recommend it.

I have never run any bullet lighter than 160 grains from mine...not much point in it for me,but some Mashburn users I know have used the 150 TTSX at about 3300+- fps with good results on game from moose on down.

I can't quantify velocity performance vs cost of dies,etc...a wildcat is a "want", not a need,and the two criteria don't intersect. If it did, we would not see things like the 280AI,7x57AI etc, etc. If you have to think about a wildcat in these terms, you likely should get a factory offering that does the same thing. smile

I have both here right now, having just gotten a new 7 Rem Mag with standard throat. I shoot 150 BT's and Partitions in it.It works fine and I don't have any plans to throat it long,having been down that road with several rifles.

Edited to add: There is no wait time for RCBS Mashburn dies far as I know. They are more expensive but are listed as a catalog wildcat. Redding might be different.I think mine were the first they ever made with cases fired in my rifle.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: 7mm Remington or Mashburn - 05/18/14
laker

Be different and go with the Mashburn.
Indulge the sickness.
You can set up the freebore to suit the bullet and mag length you have.
Avoid the Weathbery hype.poor accuracy,over priced brass and the vaunted pre shotout weathbery freebore.

dave
Posted By: efw Re: 7mm Remington or Mashburn - 05/18/14
Originally Posted by dave7mm
laker

Be different and go with the Mashburn.
Indulge the sickness.
You can set up the freebore to suit the bullet and mag length you have.

Do sho +1
Look at it this way....in 1.5 years, when you decide you are over the rifle and decide to sell, The Mashburn might sell here in the classifieds to a select few. The 7 Weatherby or Rem Mag will sell anywhere.
Posted By: bea175 Re: 7mm Remington or Mashburn - 05/18/14
I personally would rather have the 7mm Rem Mag and if i wanted one faster it would be the 7mm STW or 7mm RUM
Posted By: gerry35 Re: 7mm Remington or Mashburn - 05/18/14
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Look at it this way....in 1.5 years, when you decide you are over the rifle and decide to sell, The Mashburn might sell here in the classifieds to a select few. The 7 Weatherby or Rem Mag will sell anywhere.

Good advice and lets face it many of us are guilty of doing this very thing lol. I would vote for the 7mm Weatherby, it looks to be a real performer, brass is easy to get and you can always make it from cheaper brass which you would have to do with the Mashburn anyway.
If he wants to be "different" go with a 7mm-.300 Wby. I know it's almost the same as the 7mm STW,but it'll be different.

Remington,Hornady,Norma and Wby make brass for the .300 Wby.
Posted By: bea175 Re: 7mm Remington or Mashburn - 05/18/14
If you are going to build a custom or semi custom rifle and worried about getting your money back if you decide to sell later down the road , then chamber it in 7x57 and your chances of recovering your money will go up at least 90% over any of these magnums you have listed . Plus the magnums won't do much more in actual hunting conditions on Big Game than the 7x57
Originally Posted by BobinNH
The Dakota is great...but I didn't like the brass. The stuff (several bags)I had was splitting at the body/shoulder junction on second firing. At the cost of the stuff, it was annoying. I sold the rifle despite very good ballistics.The Dakota taught me to distrust brass from proprietary small shop cartridges....things don't always go as planned,and I don't know why but I don't need the grief.

I'd rather have good,old WW 300 Win Mag brass and form a Mashburn(nothing to it)....bomb proof and trouble free.

The OP can throat a 7 Rem Mag for a 160 seated to the base of the neck,and will pick up a bit of speed with the 160(not much IME despite several). The neck is too short and he will have jump with lighter bullets...this is not always bad,but bothers some people who like to seat close to the lands..

No matter what you do to a 7 Rem Mag it will never be as fast with any bullet as a Mashburn. The Mashburn has a longer neck and body than the 7 Rem Mag. Mechanically it's a better cartridge.Been shooting mine for the past 4 years and a friend has two others, one a M70 and the other a punched out 7 Rem Mag M700, which is a very easy conversion.We have fired them all plenty of times.

In any of the three it is easy to use Retumbo, H1000,or RL25 to get 3200-3250 with a 160 gr bullet and decent case life; you will also do 3050-3075 with a 175 gr bullet from a 24" barrel. Anytime we try with either of these bullets, these are the velocities we get,even given different barrels and we aren't blowing any primers doing it.I have goosed a 160 to 3330 fps with Retumbo by "accident" with no ill effects but don't recommend it.

I have never run any bullet lighter than 160 grains from mine...not much point in it for me,but some Mashburn users I know have used the 150 TTSX at about 3300+- fps with good results on game from moose on down.

I can't quantify velocity performance vs cost of dies,etc...a wildcat is a "want", not a need,and the two criteria don't intersect. If it did, we would not see things like the 280AI,7x57AI etc, etc. If you have to think about a wildcat in these terms, you likely should get a factory offering that does the same thing. smile

I have both here right now, having just gotten a new 7 Rem Mag with standard throat. I shoot 150 BT's and Partitions in it.It works fine and I don't have any plans to throat it long,having been down that road with several rifles.

Edited to add: There is no wait time for RCBS Mashburn dies far as I know. They are more expensive but are listed as a catalog wildcat. Redding might be different.I think mine were the first they ever made with cases fired in my rifle.
Lapua makes brass if you buy enough :)n570 with 168 berger @ 3300 + does nice things
Posted By: noKnees Re: 7mm Remington or Mashburn - 05/18/14
I think its been covered, and the Mashburn is certainly retro cool and about as practical as a wildcat can be, but the 7mm-LRM intrests me, seems like a nice place to be velocity wise, and the case has nice set of features neck, shoulder angle and no belt.
I have had a Mashburn for 15 yrs. and have absolutely no complaints. That one is dedicated to 160 gr bullets at about 3250 and Rl-25. I built another recently for 175s at 3075. This cart. is what the 7 Rem should have been in the first place.

You get to pay your money and take your chances.
The thing about the Mashburn....is that there is no reason to build one other than �Because I want one�, as it can be duplicated by a factory cartridge, in the form of the 7 Weatherby.
Posted By: aalf Re: 7mm Remington or Mashburn - 05/18/14

Today, with a good scope on top, the difference is meaningless at sane ranges.....
Belts suck. Custom guns let a guy do whatever he choose's which what its about.

Bob,

How fast can you run the 150's in the standard 7mm magnum?

Dink
If you want a rifle you can resell at some future date, the Remington is the way to go. If you don't care about that, there are more 7mm wildcats and proprietary cartridges than fleas on a coonhound.

The real world difference in ballistics means nothing, nor does 10 grains difference in bullet weight.

A 140 gr premium bullet at 3200 fps from a 26" barrel will kill any big game that a 7mm magnum of any stripe is suitable for.

Hodgdon says you can run a 150 TTSX at 3081 with W780 in only a 24" barrel. As my M70 Super Grade has a 26" barrel, I'm confident it would be a bit faster.

Have to agree with an earlier poster that a 7X57 makes a lighter rifle and for a hunter will kill any game in the USA (ask Eleanor O'Connor)
Posted By: aalf Re: 7mm Remington or Mashburn - 05/18/14
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...7018953/Who_Needs_a_Mashburn#Post7018953
Originally Posted by DINK

Bob,

Dink

Dink I have generally seen about 3150 fps from a 24" barrel.I know some guys get a bit more but that has seemed comfy to me in most barrels.
[quote=laker]Like my Remington actions and plan to stick with it

[/quote Then you need more experience to appreciate finer actions.

smile quote/]

You've been listening to yourself talk so much that you obiviouly missed the point that the poster is not interested in what you have to say.
My suggestions enable the subject rifleman to go beyond the entry level rifle and benefit from a superior design.

"Sell that entry level push feed action and shop for one with CRF, and a 3 position M70 type safety that controls the firing pin.

Buy a complete rifle. It's faster, easier and costs less."

smile
Thanks for the chuckle.

I wouldn't be a bit surpised if Laker has killed more game than you.
Posted By: laker Re: 7mm Remington or Mashburn - 05/19/14
My suggestions enable the subject rifleman to go beyond the entry level rifle and benefit from a superior design.

"Sell that entry level push feed action and shop for one with CRF, and a 3 position M70 type safety that controls the firing pin.

Buy a complete rifle. It's faster, easier and costs less."

smile

Savage99 I actually shoot 700s to give the animals more of a chance. Hunting with a CRF and 3 position safety just isn't fair.
D.J.Paintless's signature is:

"Remember, all this is just for fun."

I just had to see Montana's Glacier Park so I bought a new car and drove out there and back to CT in 1960.
Originally Posted by DINK

Bob,

Dink

Dink I have generally seen about 3150 fps from a 24" barrel.I know some guys get a bit more but that has seemed comfy to me in most barrels.

Thanks for the info.

I have a Sako 75 action that's probably going to be a 7mm of some type one of these days. Decisions....decisions...

Dink
Posted By: JasonF Re: 7mm Remington or Mashburn - 05/19/14
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
You've been listening to yourself talk so much that you obiviouly missed the point that the ENTIRE FORUM is not interested in what you have to say.

Fixed it for you... :-)
I agree with Savage 99's assertion that a good CRF action with a Model 70 style safety is a far superior housing for any cartridge, but I did not go down that road in this thread because that is not what the OP asked about. As for me, my one and only 7mm Masburn was a very nice custom rifle built on a highly slicked up and modified K-98 Mauser with a tapered octagon barrel and a full length integral rib. Most likely a Len Brownell based upon the stylizations and work. A wonderful rifle in every regard.

All that said, I have stated my opinions about push feeds vs CRF actions often enough here that I choose to not try and make every thread I post in about that one point but rather to be helpful and add something useful, and from personal actual hunting experiences, to that OP's query. In this case, my opinion that the 7mm Mashburn is a terrific and useful upgrade over a 7mm Remington Magnum with easy to make cases, sufficient additional powder capacity to make a difference worth something. And, not to be discounted, a 'cool' factor and different enough from what everyone else in hunting camp has to be a fun conversation starter. Not that the game shot at will notice that last part or the fact that the cartridge looks and SOUNDS really cool and fast cool

Say it out loud "7mm Mashburn Super" a wonderful monikker for a cartridge if ever there was one. This whole game is about having FUN. Sometimes that is lost in all of this hashing about over ballistick gak and minutiea. If having a rifle that is just a little faster and a cartridge that looks and sounds cooler makes hunting more fun for you (it does for me) that go Mashburn or Dakota or LAzzeroni and git out there to slayin stuff and having fun! We sometimes forget the end game here. Makin meat, makin smiles and makin memories. Whatever works for you to bring those three together, that is what you should hunt with.
So much easier just to wait around for a very nice model 70 Super Grade (26") to show up here, ANNB with rings for 75% of what those new FN abortions cost and 25% of some custom rifle ancient wildcat that will be harder to sell than a Yugo.

All it needs is a proper Ebony fore end tip, new S&K mounts carrying a Schmidt and it will outshine and outshoot most "custom" rifles costing twice as much.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: laker Re: 7mm Remington or Mashburn - 05/19/14
Originally Posted by oldman1942
So much easier just to wait around for a very nice model 70 Super Grade (26") to show up here, ANNB with rings for 75% of what those new FN abortions cost and 25% of some custom rifle ancient wildcat that will be harder to sell than a Yugo.

All it needs is a proper Ebony fore end tip, new S&K mounts carrying a Schmidt and it will outshine and outshoot most "custom" rifles costing twice as much.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Except I don't care about CRF or a 3 position safety, I hate wood stocks, I'd rather have a stainless barrel, and I don't want something that is going to be 9lbs plus scoped, and the most important part I ALREADY HAVE A REMINGTON ACTION. But other than that you are right that would be perfect for me.
Posted By: Tanner Re: 7mm Remington or Mashburn - 05/19/14
Holy sschit fire this stuff gets made hard by the CRF and wood lovers. 7 Rem, Classic ADL, 24" #2 or 3, and a SAAMI throat. It'll be your new favorite.

Tanner
Posted By: 805 Re: 7mm Remington or Mashburn - 05/19/14
Laker
7mm rem mag with a minimum spec sammi reamer and your good to go! 168vld or 162amax.
Chad Dixon has a reamer in stock and the group buy is still open.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: 7mm Remington or Mashburn - 05/20/14
All that crap that they coat wood stocks with to keep them from turning into Pretzels every time the humidity climbs a few points or god forbid ,it might, rain, and get wet.Looks ever so pretty burning in the fire place..
Wood?
Woods for building fires.

dave....

Your suppose to use a POS CRF like your told.
Originally Posted by oldman1942

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Except I don't care about CRF or a 3 position safety, I hate wood stocks, I'd rather have a stainless barrel, and I don't want something that is going to be 9lbs plus scoped, and the most important part I ALREADY HAVE A REMINGTON ACTION. But other than that you are right that would be perfect for me.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 7mm Remington or Mashburn - 05/20/14
The OP didn't ask for a lecture on wood vs synthetic, or PF vs CRF. Seems he has an action and knows what he wants.

He asked a pretty detailed question about two cartridge options,and the differences between them.

It pops into my mind that he can have his cake and eat it too with the Rem 700,in that he could barrel the action and chamber for 7 Rem Mag...if he then decides he wants to keep it a 7 Rem Mag, fine.

If he gets bored and decides he wants some more juice, he could run a Mashburn reamer up there and not have to change a thing,and that Rem 700 will swallow both cartridges,and function fine with either one.

Pretty simple.
Posted By: KDK Re: 7mm Remington or Mashburn - 05/20/14
You'd think, but not here...
The OP didn't ask for a lecture on wood vs synthetic, or PF vs CRF. Seems he has an action and knows what he wants.

He asked a pretty detailed question about two cartridge options,and the differences between them.

It pops into my mind that he can have his cake and eat it too with the Rem 700,in that he could barrel the action and chamber for 7 Rem Mag...if he then decides he wants to keep it a 7 Rem Mag, fine.

If he gets bored and decides he wants some more juice, he could run a Mashburn reamer up there and not have to change a thing,and that Rem 700 will swallow both cartridges,and function fine with either one.

Pretty simple.

Well said, which is why I kept my well knnown affinity for wood and CRF out of the discussion and simply added my two cents worth for the Mashburn Version.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 7mm Remington or Mashburn - 05/20/14
Mark I like wood and CRF, too. But not everyone does. wink

I also happen to like synthetic and SS rifles, too.

OP's opening salvo was about cartridges....dunno why it was derailed from the start but that's typical for someone who doesn't know anything much about either cartridge.
Posted By: Tejano Re: 7mm Remington or Mashburn - 05/20/14
The 7RM is the practical choice and one of my all time favorites.

Almost all the others have a better case design if you place any importance on neck length. The 7x61, Weatherby & Mashburn all have more workable neck lengths. None of these have the reputation for pressure excursions that the 7RM doe's. Although I think this might be more due to the type of powder used rather than case or throat configuration.

I would be tempted to go Weatherby but would probably use 300 WM cases for forming. In which case might as well do the Mashburn to take full advantage of the .300WM case capacity and the action length.
Unless I were chasing a specific twist or weight goal, I cannot see building a custom around a vanilla cartridge. If you are going to build anyway, might as well go something unique that isn't sold at Walmart.
Posted By: laker Re: 7mm Remington or Mashburn - 05/20/14
Just talked to Dober and he convinced me on the Mashburn cult
Posted By: xzqvvh Re: 7mm Remington or Mashburn - 05/20/14
Hi, you will like the Mashburn in the 700. I just had my 700 Custom in 7mm Mashburn re barreled to 7mm Mashburn using a Douglas Rem mag profile. The 150 gr can be pushed pretty fast with IMR 7828. I prefer the 160,162 gr bullets and have been playing with the 175 Hornady and Nosler. I can PM you some loads that I have used if you want. Make sure that the gunsmith has a 7mm throater so you can seat your loads out to 3.560" or so. With the short throat the reamer cuts you may get pressure spikes. Good Luck Randy

Just curious, why did you decide on the Mashburn over the Rem or Weatherby?
Just to have something different and I am borrowing a reamer and dies until my dies show up. Just couldn't warm up to the Remington or weatherby for some reason. Just didn't turn my crank. Not really gaining much with the mashburn but at least it will scratch the itch
That is exactly what all this stuff is about anyway! What specs are you going to use for the rifle, and who is screwing everything together?
Blued, CRF, Walnut..... might as well go 6.8 Mashburn and hit a grand slam of dumphuckitude....

I could really dig a 8lb-8.5lb Seven Mash model 700...
Going with a #2 contour lilja probably cut at 25 inches sittin in a ti take off stock I have. Should come in right around 8lbs
Going with a #2 contour lilja probably cut at 25 inches sittin in a ti take off stock I have. Should come in right around 8lbs

Sounds like a plan, I had my 700 ADL rebarreled with a unfired Rem 700 takeoff barrel in 7 mm Mag ($45) and installation ($ 100) fall before last. Pretty cheap to get the old girl running again, the smith did it in 2 wks turn around . Guy outta Sturgis and the barrel was local LGS no pun intended he had a 55 gal barrel full of them. Send me a PM if you want some phone numbers. Magnum Man
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 7mm Remington or Mashburn - 05/21/14
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

I could really dig a 8lb-8.5lb Seven Mash model 700...

That's easy! wink

Bet it would shoot,too.

Posted By: BobinNH Re: 7mm Remington or Mashburn - 05/21/14
Originally Posted by Tejano
The 7RM is the practical choice and one of my all time favorites.

Almost all the others have a better case design if you place any importance on neck length. The 7x61, Weatherby & Mashburn all have more workable neck lengths. None of these have the reputation for pressure excursions that the 7RM doe's. Although I think this might be more due to the type of powder used rather than case or throat configuration.

I would be tempted to go Weatherby but would probably use 300 WM cases for forming. In which case might as well do the Mashburn to take full advantage of the .300WM case capacity and the action length.

Tejano you better be careful....you might start thinking like me. grin
Sounds like a ringer, Laker.

If you're into loading, I can't imagine the Mashburn being anything but fun. I'm kinda fond of my Ti stock as well.

9' twist? What ya gonna launch with it?

Posted By: laker Re: 7mm Remington or Mashburn - 05/21/14
9" twist. Probably run 150 grain ballistic tips or 160 grain accubonds hopefully on top of IMR 7828 because I have a lot of it.
Posted By: KDK Re: 7mm Remington or Mashburn - 05/21/14

I miss that guy's posts.

Hes a good guy with a lot of info and experience
Posted By: starsky Re: 7mm Remington or Mashburn - 05/21/14
With that twist try some 162s, 168s, and 180s. Wind slippage is addictive laugh
Laker, with that twist run the heavies man! The 175 LRAB is looking good! Thats what I will be running (to begin with) in my LRM.

7828 is on my short list of powders to try.

H1000
Retumbo
US 869
7828ssc
Magpro (if I can find it)
150 grain ballistic tip and 160 grain accubonds is jus what I have on hand. I will for sure be trying to find some 175 LRAB
If weight is an issue and you can stand plastic, one of the Brown pounder or Micky edge stocks will get it down to about 7.25-7.5 lbs. I have a Mashburn 700 with a 6x36 Lupy on it set up like that and it is a great hauler.
Originally Posted by Tanner
Holy sschit fire this stuff gets made hard by the CRF and wood lovers. 7 Rem, Classic ADL, 24" #2 or 3, and a SAAMI throat. It'll be your new favorite.

Tanner

Hey Tanner, what powder should he run?! I'm going to go out on a limb and guess 162 Amax's with 7828!
Posted By: Bugger Re: 7mm Remington or Mashburn - 05/21/14
I like my 7 RM. They are some of the cheaper rifles being sold on WEB sites, along with 270 and 06's.

But, I'd go with the Mashburn. That is way cool.

Since the majority of shooters and hunters agree with you on the best action for the project, I wouldn't pay much attention to those that are different.
Posted By: Tejano Re: 7mm Remington or Mashburn - 05/21/14

That would be a good thing. Have had the Mashburn itch ever since reading Page and Hagel in my impressionable youth.

So many good 7mms I will never get to all of them. In fact I don't think there is such a thing as a bad 7mm including that limp wristed 6.8 one. Maybe the Carcano but I could find joy in it even.

If you want to play with the 180 VLDs might want to go 8.5 twist.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 7mm Remington or Mashburn - 05/22/14

That would be a good thing. Have had the Mashburn itch ever since reading Page and Hagel in my impressionable youth.

So many good 7mms I will never get to all of them. In fact I don't think there is such a thing as a bad 7mm including that limp wristed 6.8 one. Maybe the Carcano but I could find joy in it even.

If you want to play with the 180 VLDs might want to go 8.5 twist.

Tejano a 9 twist won't stabilize them? Mine is a 9 twist...Never tried them frown

Yeah, kinda lost in all the conversation is that, for me, the Mashburn has just been "fun",and put a little zip back into the tedium of merely stuffing factory hulls at the loading bench.

Plus there is the historic side of things....knowing where we are today is a lot more interesting when we know how we got here,and what came before.Lends perspective.

Also,much the same as tying your own dry flies or Woolly Buggers,or catching bass on jigs you made yourself....after all, not everything that's fun is practical. smile
Bob,

Sure it will. But an 8.5 twist will stabilize the long-awaited 195 Hybrid wink
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 7mm Remington or Mashburn - 05/22/14
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Bob,

Sure it will. But an 8.5 twist will stabilize the long-awaited 195 Hybrid wink

OMG! cry

Thanks Jordan! grin
Posted By: jryoung Re: 7mm Remington or Mashburn - 05/22/14

You'll like that, mine is a rock creek #2 (basically a twin of the Lilja #2) finished at 26" in a McM EDGE KS.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Skinny barrels don't shoot. First six out of the muzzle, they were Dober's FF loads.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire