Home
Posted By: RHutch Defiance XM build - 05/25/14
Last year I decided to build a true custom, using something other than a reworked factory action, and had a burr in my arse to do another 300wsm. Had built a 300 before on a 700SA and was not pleased with the limited space that platform afforded.
The WSM needs more room to breathe with the longer heavy bullets and the XM action from Defiance allows for 3.2 inches of mag space.

Took my time, gathered all the parts, sent them to GAP in January, and received the finished product Friday. I have owned a couple of second hand GAP rifles in the past but this is the first one I had commissioned. The fit and finish is excellent.
My goal was not some featherweight minimalist rifle. It was to come in at 9lbs or less, scoped. The rifle weighs dead on 9lbs as it sits, scoped with the Talley LWTs, sans bipod.

The plan is to shoot the 190 Berger at 2950 - 3000fps. Load development starts now.

Parts list:
Defiance XM action
Defiance XM bottom metal
McMillan Hunter, Edge fill, 1/2" decel, 2 studs, tan w/green specs
Bartlein #3 fluted, 10 twist, 24.5", 1.25 shank
Vais micro brake
Jewel trigger at 2 lbs.
Titanium ceracote on all metal, microslick on bolt body.
Talley lows
Bushnell LRHS

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y76/rbhutch/IMG_0949_zps69925f63.jpg[/img]

Posted By: scenarshooter Re: Defiance XM build - 05/25/14
Beautiful rifle! I'll bet it drills....

You're gonna love that scope!
Posted By: Buzzaw Re: Defiance XM build - 05/25/14
sweet hammer time
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Defiance XM build - 05/25/14
Really a fine looking rifle, like everything about that one - congrats to you!!
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: Defiance XM build - 05/25/14
Well done. Be mighty hard to improve on that�

John
Posted By: 65BR Re: Defiance XM build - 05/25/14
Well it could be necked to six five wink

Nice rig - maybe I missed it - weight?

Should be a handy meat stick
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Defiance XM build - 05/25/14
Nice nice nice.
Posted By: Gledeasy Re: Defiance XM build - 05/25/14
Dang, I really like that one! Congrats on a nice rig! I bet it shoots lights out!
Posted By: Sendero_man Re: Defiance XM build - 05/25/14
Very nice specs !!

You are gonna like it! Very similar to X hunters
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Defiance XM build - 05/25/14
Hutch you hit a home run......sweet rifle!
Posted By: KDK Re: Defiance XM build - 05/26/14
Should be a heck of a rig!

Your post help clear a few things up for me. I've been thinking on a 7 WSM build on a Defiance action, but there's so many options that I was a little overwhelmed. At least I have action length somewhat straightened out!
Posted By: drano 25 Re: Defiance XM build - 05/26/14
Sexy
Posted By: RHutch Re: Defiance XM build - 05/26/14
Originally Posted by KDK

Your post help clear a few things up for me. I've been thinking on a 7 WSM build on a Defiance action, but there's so many options that I was a little overwhelmed. At least I have action length somewhat straightened out!

Glad I could help grin
I considered building another 7 since I had stocked up with brass but wanted to try something different.
The 7 is badass. Been hunting with one built by APA on an FN SPR action for years.
Posted By: 300MAG Re: Defiance XM build - 05/26/14
Damn nice rifle!!
Posted By: KDK Re: Defiance XM build - 05/26/14
Originally Posted by RHutch
Originally Posted by KDK

Glad I could help grin
I considered building another 7 since I had stocked up with brass but wanted to try something different.
The 7 is badass. Been hunting with one built by APA on an FN SPR action for years.

A .300 certainly makes sense from a brass viewpoint. For whatever reason the 7 really appeals to me, and I'm not a big 7mm fan. I have already bought a Winchester Coyote and a Howa I dropped in a Mickey Sako Classic 7 Wizzums, but if I ever get around to building a custom, it will be a 7 WSM (if a WSM case is used).
Posted By: slg888 Re: Defiance XM build - 05/26/14
That's nice Rhutch.
Posted By: hartshot Re: Defiance XM build - 05/28/14
Very nice build
Posted By: SKane Re: Defiance XM build - 05/28/14
Splendid shootin' iron!!!!
© 24hourcampfire