Home
Posted By: TwoSixtyFourWins .264 Lapua Magnum - 07/16/14
I've seen here and there a growing number of 6.5mm wildcats that are made to surpass the 26 nosler. Many are based on the RUM cases. What I want to know is if there are any named 6.5mm wildcats based on the 338 lapua. The reason I ask is I plan on purchasing a 338 lapua savage at some point and would like to build a 6.5 barrel to fit it that will take the same magazine and bolt setup as the Lapua. Yes I know the barrel life will be extremely short but sometimes life is too. Ask James Dean. I want to be able to switch barrels and nothing else to swap calibers.
Posted By: Nortex Re: .264 Lapua Magnum - 07/17/14
I've seen one that was off the 338 Lapua and then ackley improved. Didn't find much information about it but it should have been a laser.
Posted By: safariman Re: .264 Lapua Magnum - 07/17/14
I like how you think! I hope you do it and report back. R-25 and H-870 will probably be good powder options to try.

Lazer-like is a good description. And, they are making new barrels every day as Dober used to always point out. That guy ate through barrels like no one else I have ever heard of crazy

A 264 STW might be fun, too.
Posted By: Tejano Re: .264 Lapua Magnum - 07/17/14
Check out the Allen Magnums. He used the .338 RUM case up to .270 then at 7mm switched to the Lapua case. Had to beat the 7 RUM is probably why the switch to the larger case.
Posted By: TwoSixtyFourWins Re: .264 Lapua Magnum - 07/18/14
What gave me the idea was a couple guys on another site that built rifles in 6.5 badger, 338RUM necked down. They were running a 160 grain matrix bullet and pushing it at 3450 fps out of a 30" tube using US896. I wanted similar performance but on a 338Lapua case rather than a RUM.
Posted By: safariman Re: .264 Lapua Magnum - 07/18/14
However you get there, I like the concept! Will yours be a hunting rifle (hopefully) or merely a target piece?
Posted By: TwoSixtyFourWins Re: .264 Lapua Magnum - 07/19/14
It will most definitely be a hunting rifle. Most of mine are.
Posted By: safariman Re: .264 Lapua Magnum - 07/19/14
Originally Posted by TwoSixtyFourWins
It will most definitely be a hunting rifle. Most of mine are.

Glad to hear it. I hope you execute this and post some photo's.
Posted By: haverluk Re: .264 Lapua Magnum - 07/19/14
I think a call to PT&G would pay some dividends. They could give you a list of the reamers they have made. You could continue your research with the name of the wildcats. That would probably turn up more data by name.

Either way I am interested. I have a full custom 338LM that I might do some wildcatting on in the future. Please post up some reports.

Also if you haven't done some research over on LRH.com that might turn up a couple leads.
© 24hourcampfire