Home
Posted By: Augie Pawn Shop 03 Custom - 08/07/14
Picked up this pawn shop 03 custom today, Really well done, built on a high number 1918 receiver, Timney trigger and safety, McGowen barrel in 35 Whelen Improved.
Wood is very well finished with excellent checkering, bluing also very well done. Whoever did the work knew what they were doing.
Shop said it had been built in the 80's and to me it kind of has an eighties look to it.
Looking forward to working up a range of loads for it, probably start with lighter Whitetail loads and work up loads for heavier game later.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Pawn Shop 03 Custom - 08/07/14
Very nice looking rig.
Posted By: safariman Re: Pawn Shop 03 Custom - 08/08/14
YEP! I like it, a lot.

Congrats on a great find.
Posted By: efw Re: Pawn Shop 03 Custom - 08/08/14
Good golly that is an incredibly gorgeous classic.

LOVE IT!!!
Posted By: OldRooster Re: Pawn Shop 03 Custom - 08/08/14
Very nice!
Posted By: Augie Re: Pawn Shop 03 Custom - 08/08/14
Thanks everyone, pretty lucky find. I can't get over the level of craftsmanship,I'm pretty sure that is just a Fajen or Richards 03 replacement stock but I've never seen one finished to this level, besides the checkering the fore end and grip caps are beautifully done.
Pretty heavy substantial feeling rifle,should soak up the recoil.
Posted By: carbon12 Re: Pawn Shop 03 Custom - 08/08/14
Classic beauty.

Guessing that it is looking at 10# on a low humidify day.

How it ended up in a pawn shop might be an interesting story.
Posted By: Mesa Re: Pawn Shop 03 Custom - 08/08/14
Might be worth pulling the stock off to see if it is signed inside. Many stockers sign their work with a stamp inside the barrel channel where it isn't visible to casual viewer.

www.doublegunshop.com/BBS has a forum dedicated to custom single barrel rifles, and many guys there really dig--and know--custom makers, especially those that used Springfields. If you can find a stocker's stamp and can't interpret it, I bet some of those guys could.

Not my style of stocking, but very impressive workmanship! Stocker definitely was an expert.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Pawn Shop 03 Custom - 08/08/14
Originally Posted by Augie
Picked up this pawn shop 03 custom today, Really well done, built on a high number 1918 receiver, Timney trigger and safety, McGowen barrel in 35 Whelen Improved.
Wood is very well finished with excellent checkering, bluing also very well done. Whoever did the work knew what they were doing.
Shop said it had been built in the 80's and to me it kind of has an eighties look to it.
Looking forward to working up a range of loads for it, probably start with lighter Whitetail loads and work up loads for heavier game later.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nice.

I would imagine that was someone's prized project.

From the approximate build date, the builder may have since passed to his reward and the estate sold his stuff. That's a WAG but could well fit the vintage and quality of the piece.

Great snag, good luck with it. Let us know how she shoots.

DF
Posted By: winchesterpoor Re: Pawn Shop 03 Custom - 08/08/14
Im willing to bet it shoots just as good as it looks. Fine craftsmanship there. Bingo find! WinPoor
Posted By: Jericho Re: Pawn Shop 03 Custom - 08/09/14
Very nice rifle sir, thank you for the pictures.
Posted By: local_favorite Re: Pawn Shop 03 Custom - 08/09/14
Geeze all the pawn shops around me only have junk. That is a fine rifle and find right there.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Pawn Shop 03 Custom - 08/09/14
Nice looking rifle.
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Pawn Shop 03 Custom - 08/09/14
Nice piece there . Ill bet it will be a shooter too
The checkering would cost you probably more than you had to pay for the rifle.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Pawn Shop 03 Custom - 08/09/14
Originally Posted by local_favorite
Geeze all the pawn shops around me only have junk. That is a fine rifle and find right there.

Yeah, definitely nothing our local pawn shops would have...

DF
Posted By: Augie Re: Pawn Shop 03 Custom - 08/09/14
Originally Posted by carbon12
Classic beauty.

Guessing that it is looking at 10# on a low humidify day.

How it ended up in a pawn shop might be an interesting story.

I think you are about dead on, I will have to get it on a scale but that's what it feels like.
Posted By: Augie Re: Pawn Shop 03 Custom - 08/09/14
Thanks for everyone's input, I did post on Doubleguns for additional help in identifying as suggested, will update if I find out anything.
Looking forward to shooting , have high hopes for accuracy, the bore is amazing, don't think I've ever seen such a smooth bright polished bore in my life.
Unfortunately I had shoulder surgery last Friday on me left arm and it might be 3 months or more before I can shoot it, the wait is killing me.
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: Pawn Shop 03 Custom - 08/10/14
Love what it's chambered in! Stock really isn't to my tastes but I'd have a hard time leaving that we one in a pawn shop as well. Nice snag for sure.
Posted By: mart Re: Pawn Shop 03 Custom - 08/10/14
That is one sweet looking Springfield. I think a Springfield makes one of the nicest looking customs rifles of all the various bolt actions. Good find.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Pawn Shop 03 Custom - 08/10/14
I'm like taylorce1, Not my taste in stocks, but all of the work looks superb.
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Pawn Shop 03 Custom - 08/11/14
If you pull the action, the barrel is probably stamped underneath the chamber with the month/year from McGowen.
Posted By: Augie Re: Pawn Shop 03 Custom - 08/12/14
Originally Posted by AH64guy
If you pull the action, the barrel is probably stamped underneath the chamber with the month/year from McGowen.

Looks like that is what I'm going to have to do, Mesa also suggested that. I'm a little leery of pulling it apart, it is inletted so well I'm afraid of doing damage.
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Pawn Shop 03 Custom - 08/12/14
If you are careful, and take your time, shouldn't be a problem. I'd also do it for the reason of checking for rust or surprises below the woodline.

I lucked into a nice Austian Voere in .30-06, but the previous owner hadn't dried it out after a good soaking, the magazine box and the under side of the action are pitted. Nothing structural, but it looks pretty ugly.
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: Pawn Shop 03 Custom - 08/13/14
Wonderful find. That's a rifle with an honorable bloodline and fate. Good for you.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Pawn Shop 03 Custom - 08/20/14
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
From the approximate build date, the builder may have since passed to his reward and the estate sold his stuff. That's a WAG but could well fit the vintage and quality of the piece.

Prolly a dumb question, but what a "WAG"?
Posted By: Augie Re: Pawn Shop 03 Custom - 08/20/14
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Prolly a dumb question, but what a "WAG"?

Wild ass guess
Posted By: Jericho Re: Pawn Shop 03 Custom - 08/21/14
And a SWAG is a scientific wild ass guess
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: Pawn Shop 03 Custom - 08/21/14
So -- global warming is a SWAG?
© 24hourcampfire