Home
Posted By: Sagedaddy Stock painting question - 08/14/14
I'm sure it's been discussed somewhere before, but here goes... I have a manners stock in factory coyote tan. I was entertaining the thought of giving it some character. Thinkin bout a gap camo look or something like that. What paint would you gentlemen suggest and I'd really appreciate some pictures of your paintjobs so I can come up with ideas. I have a bartlein barrel and just recieved my action so I guess it's time to get to work.
Posted By: darrenk75b Re: Stock painting question - 08/14/14
Duracoat is the same paint that Manners uses - very durable.

Here are a few I've done
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
A couple more
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Stock painting question - 08/14/14
Spend $3 and rattle can.

Everything that gets used,loses paint/coatings in RAPID fashion.................(hint)
Posted By: Sagedaddy Re: Stock painting question - 08/14/14
Damn nice. I really like a couple of those. How'd you do the last one, if you don't mind me askin? It looks like that'd be a good way to go since my base coat is tan.
I assume you are talking about the 2nd to last one? That's OD green, black and sage green Duracoat, sponged on with a natural sponge (like you find at the hardware store for specialty paint finishes)

Pretty simple, and nearly impossible to screw up. What you see are all done with Duracoat. However, as Stick noted, you can do it with spray paint too. Just spray the paint into a cup first, then sponge away. Krylon and Rustoleum both made flat camo color paints that work well with the Manners paint, and can be easily removed if so desired.

If actually referring to the last one (OD Green base), I paint the base color and then apply the flecks (low pressure in the gun, and controlled paint volume for speckles of various sizes)
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Stock painting question - 08/14/14
Like this.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/2R8G8486.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/2R8G8492.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/2R8G8509.jpg[/img]

Though BEWARE,because in some States...blue paint is consider by THE letter of The Law to be Entrapment.

In FULL disclosure however,99% of Cops wear UV sunglasses that are Polarized and will never know.(giggle)

[img]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1024q90/132/oi24.jpg[/img]

WoooHooo!...............

Posted By: Sagedaddy Re: Stock painting question - 08/15/14
Yeah darrenk75b, I was referring to the second to last. That might be the way I'll go with it. Thanks for the info and the pics. You definitely do good work
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Stock painting question - 08/15/14
Woot!...........
Haha. Stick- no offense but that is one nasty looking handle. It is a good way to never be asked to help paint your buddy's house though.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Stock painting question - 08/16/14
I kinda like the blue and gold.
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: Stock painting question - 08/16/14

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Stock painting question - 08/16/14
Originally Posted by stevenautique
Haha. Stick- no offense but that is one nasty looking handle. It is a good way to never be asked to help paint your buddy's house though.

Turned The Dude and his pard loose and told them to let me know when they were done.

Tough to call who had more fun,them in the act...or me watching portions of the show...............(grin)
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Victims be lining up,to pose with it................(grin)
Swapped mounts/glass and now it's farrrrrrrrrrrrr more versatile. The erector alone will reach past a mile and the whole system 2000++ yards. It's a hoot!

70MOA added to mounting system.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It blends nicely,in all AO's..............(grin)

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Teal Re: Stock painting question - 08/16/14
Noticed the tape on those FF's - is that so the BC's fit tight?
Inside joke.

It precludes the temptation to unscrew the "shade" and get an objective lens in your lap.

The tape runneth over.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You get the drift.................(grin)
Yep - Knew you were kinda fond of the the super chickens after trying them, but missed the tape on ARAIG.
I'm warming up to the glass.................(grin)
See yourself going Leup ever again?
The 6x42 is a tough act to follow on a Boomer,as it's eye-relief and mild mannerisms,reap huge dividends. The MK4 M1 3.5-10x remains my favorite variable and I've some Nostalgic Love for the MK4 M1 10x and to some degree MK4 M1 16x.

The HUGE erector latitude inherent the FF's,really slams doors shut and throws windows of opportunity open. As subtension reticles go,the MQ has alotta things going for it and is very well thought out. It is easy to hold hard for Precision with crosshair intersection and hold-off's are a breeze,whether it in ele or windage.

There has not been ONE guy who's gunned one of mine,that did not cut a check. There will be alotta FF Hero pics this year.

Downside being,they've been backordered like a bitch...............(grin)
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Victims be lining up,to pose with it................(grin)

Bwahahahahaha!!!!!
It's got some stank on it.............

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Sage, these guys are PROS --
But I'll say I'm kind of partial to the Krylon plant-pot crinkle earth tone paints. Sticks better than I expected (at least to wood), is like putting a grip all over the stock, too. And if it gets dinged, just shake and bake.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Stock painting question - 08/17/14
I like bed-liner too................(hint)
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Stock painting question - 08/17/14
Fresh one,from this evening................

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lonny Re: Stock painting question - 08/17/14
Originally Posted by darrenk75b
A couple more
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The sponge job looks nice. Very unique pattern and from the sounds of it, fast also,

Nice work on all the stocks Darren
Posted By: ramrod340 Re: Stock painting question - 09/28/14
Darren,
Did you do this paint job? If so how? If not who did.
Posted By: rdobrow Re: Stock painting question - 09/28/14
WOW what great looking paint jobs......
Originally Posted by Lonny
Originally Posted by darrenk75b
A couple more
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The sponge job looks nice. Very unique pattern and from the sounds of it, fast also,

Nice work on all the stocks Darren

Darren's got skillz for sure, I have a KS stock he painted headed my way in a couple days - can't wait to see it!!!
Posted By: darrenk75b Re: Stock painting question - 09/29/14
Yes I painted that. Od green and tan striped base with about 4" stripes alternating. Then over that a variety of browns, greens and black sprayed over a handful of broom bristles cut from a sacrificial broom. It takes a while, but the results are nice.
Posted By: broomd Re: Stock painting question - 09/29/14
Great work, Darren. Thanks for sharing some details.
I'm going to give some of those techniques a whirl....
Posted By: ramrod340 Re: Stock painting question - 09/29/14
Thanks Darren.

I have several that I had painted for me several years ago. Then I tried doing it myself. I need to stick to stock duplication. I have one that I getting ready to build with a fiberglass stock. I'll be in touch.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Stock painting question - 01/13/15
Lotta damn talent going on in this thread. smile
Posted By: annieW7 Re: Stock painting question - 01/19/15
Love these pics but mine always turn out like the kids did it
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Stock painting question - 01/27/15
If this is a serious question, this is a serious answer.
Build a paint box with a cooking thermometer inserted in the top. Heat to 100 degrees F with a hot plate below shielded with a baffle.
Hang stocks and barrels on wires with handle on top that can be twisted.
Buy $10 spray cans of BROWNELLS - ALUMA-HYDE� II.
Get some clean out nozzles.
Get a face mask rated for paint.

Don't screw around with spray cans of rustoleum. That is good for camo on boats, not rifles. It will peel off with wear.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire