Home
Posted By: gene270 custom action pricing - 09/19/14
anybody make a custom action for a hunting rifle for less than $900.00?

seems like all the custom actions have grown in price several hundred dollars since they first started producing them seems they went from 650.00 to 750.00 to 900.00 and more pretty quick.....

at these prices i guess i will be sticking with remingtons unless something else pops up at a lower price point
Posted By: jbuck Re: custom action pricing - 09/19/14
The Stiller will go one sale once in a while for $900. Not including the rail.
when the companies are selling all they can make as fast as they can, yeah the price goes up. surgeon quit taking orders last I looked, bat machine is like at least a year out. They probably could charge more if they wanted.
Posted By: jowens Re: custom action pricing - 09/20/14
Stiller is the cheapest of the custom 700 clones, iirc.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: custom action pricing - 09/20/14
Depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for Rem 700 footprint, you can snag a Stiller for around $850 when someone changes direction. If you are looking for Win M70 footprint, Montana's are $745 for CM and $809 for SS, from MRC.
Posted By: slg888 Re: custom action pricing - 09/20/14
Wished I'd bought a dozen RSR Surgeons back when they were $690.00. I recently bought a Pierce for $950 w/recoil lug.
Posted By: 300MAG Re: custom action pricing - 09/21/14
Originally Posted by slg888
Wished I'd bought a dozen RSR Surgeons back when they were $690.00. I recently bought a Pierce for $950 w/recoil lug.

The RSR's were very nice actions - wish they still made them !!
Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: custom action pricing - 09/22/14
NWP has some 700 footprint actions for $850, but I have no idea of the quality. They did a group buy on SH a while back, but I don't remember the pricing off hand.

http://nwpfirearms.com/
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: custom action pricing - 09/25/14
I don't mind the waiting as long as you're buying quality stuff. And, I don't buy anything that I think is unfairly priced. I currently have a Borden in process.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: custom action pricing - 09/26/14
Stiller now wants their full increased retail if you order from them. They used to knock $100 off the prices on their website. They also said they won't be doing any group buys again. I understand they are trying to protect their distributors but we were there supporting them and their group buys before they had distributors.

I liked the stillers at $750-$850 but I'll be having more remmys trued soon. $300 for a rem leaves a little change for truing compared to $1000.

Bb
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Stiller now wants their full increased retail if you order from them. They used to knock $100 off the prices on their website. They also said they won't be doing any group buys again. I understand they are trying to protect their distributors but we were there supporting them and their group buys before they had distributors.

I liked the stillers at $750-$850 but I'll be having more remmys trued soon. $300 for a rem leaves a little change for truing compared to $1000.

Bb

Would you care to post your truing price, what is actually done, and what you have when it is completed?
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: custom action pricing - 09/27/14
I'm not a smith but I have a few I like to use. RW Snyder for example with single point true your action and install the barrel for a total of $250. He charges $225 just to install a barrel on a custom action. So his truing is $25. It includes single point squaring the bolt face, recutting the threads oversized.010", squaring the lugs and lug abutments, truing the bolt face and nose.

Plan on another $35 for an oversized lug with oversized bore and another $10 if you want it pinned. So $70 gets you a trued and functional action without some of the other features you get with a custom.

Customs are nice and I own a few. They also resale better. I just don't always need a side bolt release and a fluted bolt. I'm often happy with less bling as long as it shoots well and functions. I know that if your not careful you can put enough money into a rem to buy a custom. But with customs now starting at $1000 and going up from there I'm starting to prefer the truing option.

There is also a decent looking group buy on snipers hide where you can get a remmy trued pretty reasonable. If I could still get stillers for the $750 range I'd buy some more. But, I've found some nice used 700's lately for under $300 and after I sell off the parts it puts me in an action pretty cheap.

Bb
Bb,
You live in another World!
Posted By: RDFinn Re: custom action pricing - 09/27/14
Just my opinion, but anything beyond this is pure fluff on a Remington 700 action...

[u][color:#000099]NW Action Works[/color][/u]

Posted By: 65BR Re: custom action pricing - 09/29/14
Tikka T3 - True in OEM - screw a good barrel on, IF your choice does not come from the factory. Trigger also GTG.
Posted By: rta48 Re: custom action pricing - 09/29/14
+1 w/65BR. I love my customs but a T3 action is ready as is!
© 24hourcampfire