Home
Posted By: taylorce1 Hydro Dip? - 09/27/14
I have a beater McMillan Winlite stock that I'd like to try this on. Looking at the MultiCam Arid pattern as I think that would be a good pattern for the area that this rifle will mainly get used in. Anyone know of a reasonable priced hydro dipping service that can handle the pattern I'm looking for?

Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Hydro Dip? - 09/27/14

Here is one on youtube, looks okay, I don't care for the gloss finish.

Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Hydro Dip? - 09/27/14
I had one of my .264 Win Mags that has a Brown Precision stock Hydro dipped A couple of years ago. It's not durable at all. Was not impressed. It is over sprayed with auto clear coat paint & dents and scratches really easy. Just a waste of money, IMO.
Krylon rattle can in tougher in my experience. And MUCH Cheaper!
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: Hydro Dip? - 09/27/14
Well the deal is the stock really isn't for me. I have a neighbor kid that's been helping me clean up my property, split wood, fix livestock pens, and maintain my vehicles. Generally he just comes over to help me out because he's always looking for something to do and has never asked for any money, though I've given him some on a regular basis or bought him some tools.

I have an old Win 670 that I'm going to give him for the help. His parents gave the okay as he loves to shoot and wants to hunt. I'm just trying to spruce it up a little for him as it's been a basket case since I bought it.

He knows he's getting it and he asked about doing the stock in digital camo or something similar. I told him I'd see what we could d0. I told him we could always just rattle can it camo and he's mulling that over as well.

Anyway, like I said it's just an old M670 in .270 Win. We are going to bed it to the McMillan Winlite and clean the stock up. I have a Burris FFII 3-9X40 that we're going to top it off with. Then were going to start teaching him how to build an accurate load at the bench for it.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Hydro Dip? - 09/27/14
These guys:
http://www.watermagicimaging.com/film-dipping.html

Did this for me:
[Linked Image]

KUIU Verde pattern... Also added a little bit of Shark Grip to the auto clear coat to add a little grip to it...
Posted By: fredIII Re: Hydro Dip? - 09/27/14
Northwest hydro print in montesano WA did this one quick turn around and 99$ plus shipping to and from. Good people very nice job hunted three years has held up great.[Linked Image]

Those two look really nice. They have me thinking.
Posted By: Azshooter Re: Hydro Dip? - 09/27/14
I had Bell and Carlson hydro dip a McMillan Ruger Ultralight stock 8 years ago. The product they used is tough. They didn't clear coat it either.

Never had any issues with any solvent. I take it through catclaw and other desert foliage without scratching it. It is colored natural gear. Unfortunately Bell and Carlson don't offer hydro dipping anymore.

I discovered you can add colors with a sharpie and even blend it in with a patch with some brake clean on it. To remove just wipe off with a saturated patch of brake clean. Sounds crazy but that natural gear is the perfect neutral color to add green, brown or black.

Originally Posted by Orion2000
These guys:

Did this for me:
[Linked Image]

KUIU Verde pattern... Also added a little bit of Shark Grip to the
auto clear coat to add a little grip to it...

How is the grip? did you like it? Was it too much or just right, thanks.
I'm just thinking out loud.

Thanks again.
Posted By: EZEARL Re: Hydro Dip? - 09/27/14

I had this Mcmillan for Winchester FWT stock done here three yrs ago. So far so good.
You can check out the different designs offered on his site.
http://www.virginiahydrodesigns.com/

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by fredIII
Northwest hydro print in montesano WA did this one quick turn around and 99$ plus shipping to and from. Good people very nice job hunted three years has held up great.[Linked Image]

Looks good! They must be better than the local guys here doing the Hydro Dip
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Well the deal is the stock really isn't for me. I have a neighbor kid that's been helping me clean up my property, split wood, fix livestock pens, and maintain my vehicles. Generally he just comes over to help me out because he's always looking for something to do and has never asked for any money, though I've given him some on a regular basis or bought him some tools.

I have an old Win 670 that I'm going to give him for the help. His parents gave the okay as he loves to shoot and wants to hunt. I'm just trying to spruce it up a little for him as it's been a basket case since I bought it.

He knows he's getting it and he asked about doing the stock in digital camo or something similar. I told him I'd see what we could d0. I told him we could always just rattle can it camo and he's mulling that over as well.

Anyway, like I said it's just an old M670 in .270 Win. We are going to bed it to the McMillan Winlite and clean the stock up. I have a Burris FFII 3-9X40 that we're going to top it off with. Then were going to start teaching him how to build an accurate load at the bench for it.

Good on you for helping the kiddo out!

You sound just like Walt Kowalski, Clint Eastwood's character in the movie Gran Torino! wink
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Hydro Dip? - 09/28/14
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
These guys:

Did this for me:
[Linked Image]

KUIU Verde pattern... Also added a little bit of Shark Grip to the
auto clear coat to add a little grip to it...

How was the grip? did you like it? Was it too much or just right, thanks.
I'm just thinking out loud.

Thanks again.

I like it. The guy that did the dip went sparingly on the Shark Grip. He was concerned it would be "too" aggressive. I think I would prefer a little more grip. But, will not know for certain until deer season. My local gun smith uses Shark grip regularly for LEO firearms. I can always have him amp it up over the winter...
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Hydro Dip? - 09/28/14
Thanks for the reply.
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Hydro Dip? - 09/28/14
Might think about getting a dig camo stencil kit from brownells. And use some rattle can paint.. I would bet he would have fun with you doing the project himself and it would have some meaning. I did one and it turned out pretty nice.
Posted By: Spartacus Re: Hydro Dip? - 09/28/14
That's a thought too.
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: Hydro Dip? - 09/28/14
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by taylorce1

Good on you for helping the kiddo out!

You sound just like Walt Kowalski, Clint Eastwood's character in the movie Gran Torino! wink

I'm not as cool as Walt!

Great movie.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Hydro Dip? - 10/05/14
I don't get all the camo painted rifles. Do you want to have to look for it when you set it down? Unless you are hiding it from other people, camo on a rifle is 100% superfluous; especially on a long range rig like most guys want to do. I will go along with it for turkey hunting but even then it is probably not needed. Hold still and they won't see you.
Posted By: slg888 Re: Hydro Dip? - 10/05/14
Originally Posted by fredIII
[Linked Image]

Best Hydro dip color I've ever seen....nice!
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Hydro Dip? - 10/05/14
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I don't get all the camo painted rifles. Do you want to have to look for it when you set it down? Unless you are hiding it from other people, camo on a rifle is 100% superfluous; especially on a long range rig like most guys want to do. I will go along with it for turkey hunting but even then it is probably not needed. Hold still and they won't see you.

I like the way it looks...
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Hydro Dip? - 10/05/14
Camo is certainly more interesting than plain old black.
Posted By: Gristle Re: Hydro Dip? - 10/07/14
Just got this back from Northwest Hydrographic. I had it done it Kryptek Highlander and had the rubbery stuff (technical term I know) applied to it. I'm more than happy with how it turned out. The stock is an original Ti.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Hydro Dip? - 10/07/14
Originally Posted by Gristle
Just got this back from Northwest Hydrographic. I had it done it Kryptek Highlander and had the rubbery stuff (technical term I know) applied to it. I'm more than happy with how it turned out. The stock is an original Ti.
[Linked Image]

Looks Good. There is a greener version of that pattern that I considered for my locale before I eventually settled on the KUIU pattern.
Posted By: vacrt2002 Re: Hydro Dip? - 10/12/14
I think my next one will be Kryptek Highlander. This is skeletor!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: drano 25 Re: Hydro Dip? - 10/12/14
The kryptek patterns are awesome. Looks great.
Posted By: fredIII Re: Hydro Dip? - 10/13/14
Thanks
Posted By: broomd Re: Hydro Dip? - 10/13/14
These guys:
Did this for me:
[Linked Image]
KUIU Verde pattern... Also added a little bit of Shark Grip to the auto clear coat to add a little grip to it...

Warren, did you remove the recoil pad before the application?

I assume you did, but figured I'd ask. I'm going to send one off and wondered...
Was your stock super smooth before dipping or was there some texture?
Thanks for posting.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Hydro Dip? - 10/13/14
Frank,

Recoil pad was not removed. Has a little bit of transition from the rubber to the film/clear coat. It's there. I don't notice it or pay attention to it. The stock had the normal KS texture to it prior to sending it off. The applicator told me he invested some time in sanding it smooth to ensure good adhesion of the film. So the base stock is now fairly smooth, except for the grip additive in the clear coat.

Not sure if a different applicator could dip it with the factory texture and have it adhere properly without chipping. Deer season is 3 or 4 weeks away. Need to get the new 6x36 dialed in so I can take it out and play in the rain when season rolls around. Hope to have empirical data on wet weather "grip" by end of November...

Posted By: JerradPelzer Re: Hydro Dip? - 10/14/14
I like the kuiu patterns I had one done but not overly impressed how it held up I'd like to try one of these other guys your talking about and would like the rubbery stuff put on heavy!
Posted By: broomd Re: Hydro Dip? - 10/14/14
Much appreciate the insights...
I've smooth sanded mine, looking for max adhesion.
I did some inlet/channel work anyway so it was already partially smoothed up on the forestock.
I'd really like to see that shark grip/verde finish up close if you get the chance to photo and post.
Posted By: broomd Re: Hydro Dip? - 12/05/14
Warren, just wondering how the shark grip fared with the Hydrodip this deer season....any thoughts?
Posted By: Teal Re: Hydro Dip? - 12/05/14
Any idea to how much weight it adds?

Was wondering if it's an option on an Edge that hasn't been painted.
Posted By: Gristle Re: Hydro Dip? - 12/06/14
Not Warren, but mine has held up very well this season. It's been carried in a pack, across my back, on a 4 wheeler and in a tree stand for 2 weeks straight. The finish doesn't show any signs of wear at all.
Posted By: broomd Re: Hydro Dip? - 12/06/14
Excellent, Thanks for the update.
Who applied the dip/clear coat if you don't mind sharing?
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Hydro Dip? - 12/06/14
Originally Posted by broomd
Warren, just wondering how the shark grip fared with the Hydrodip this deer season....any thoughts?

Frank, as they say "Life happens." I managed to get in two hours of deer hunting on the next to the last (sunny) afternoon of KY rifle season. Rifle still looks the same. Of course, it has rained just about every day since then. Still no "hands on" evaluation of the Shark Grip in wet weather. Did manage to take a button buck for the freezer. So, a modicum of success.

Originally Posted by teal
Any idea to how much weight it adds?

Teal, On my KS stock, film + clear coated added 1.5 oz. Started off at 27.0 oz. Ended up at 28.5 oz.
Posted By: Gristle Re: Hydro Dip? - 12/06/14
Originally Posted by broomd
Excellent, Thanks for the update.
Who applied the dip/clear coat if you don't mind sharing?

These guys did mine and it was maybe a 2 week turnaround.

http://www.northwesthydroprint.com
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Hydro Dip? - 12/06/14
Originally Posted by Gristle
[Linked Image]

I just contacted them about doing a Savage 99 22-250 just like that. Love it.
Posted By: broomd Re: Hydro Dip? - 02/09/15
Received my dipped stocks recently.

Work looks good...did wife's Kimber in Kuiu Verde, and my LH micky in Kuiu Vias.

Work was done by Northwest hydroprint. $91.50 each and that included matte clear applied and return shipping priority.
Northwest's communication was terrible, zero email support/updates and their turnaround time was a bit long compared to some here, about three weeks-month.
I'd use them again for the quality and price.
The dip added about .8 ounces to my lightweight rig...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Hydro Dip? - 02/10/15
Looking good...
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Hydro Dip? - 02/11/15
broomd, those two look great.
© 24hourcampfire