Home
Posted By: erickg Douglas Barrels? - 09/30/14
Never used one, anybody have any experience good, bad or otherwise?
Posted By: fredIII Re: Douglas Barrels? - 09/30/14
Got two, one is a 7-08 AI other is a 270 win 1/2 moa for both seem like all the other barrels I have work just fine have one blank for my 6.5 284 waiting for a ptg bolt confident it will be great once all finished
Posted By: heavywalker Re: Douglas Barrels? - 09/30/14
With all else equal a barrel manufacture is the least of your worries when piecing together a rifle.
Posted By: deflave Re: Douglas Barrels? - 09/30/14
Love 'em.

Agree with heavywalker. Least of your worries.

Travis
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Douglas Barrels? - 09/30/14
Just one. Shoots fine.
What contour
Posted By: erickg Re: Douglas Barrels? - 09/30/14
Thanks gents. Heavywalker, Flave, rattle off the the big three or four things I should be lookin at as opposed to whos making the barrell, have had some issues with the last few customs I've had put together, maybe you can shed some light as to where I've gone wrong.
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: Douglas Barrels? - 09/30/14
I have several sporter weight Douglas barrels. 6MM Wasp, 7MMX223 Improved,30-338. All of them have shot very well.

I did have one that was put on a High Wall in 225 Winchester that would not shoot better than about 1.5". Douglas asked that I send it back and they sent a new one back matching the contour. Great customer support, at least at that time, about 7-8 years ago.
Handle, optics, smith, bedding, reamer, ect... in no particular order.
Posted By: ramrod340 Re: Douglas Barrels? - 09/30/14
I have used between 15-20. Never had a negative issue.
Posted By: deflave Re: Douglas Barrels? - 09/30/14
Originally Posted by erickg
Thanks gents. Heavywalker, Flave, rattle off the the big three or four things I should be lookin at as opposed to whos making the barrell, have had some issues with the last few customs I've had put together, maybe you can shed some light as to where I've gone wrong.

Number one priority is to ensure your smith knows what he is doing.

Number two priority is to ensure your smith knows what he is doing.

Number three priority is to ensure your smith knows what he is doing.

Travis
Originally Posted by heavywalker
Handle, optics, smith, bedding, reamer, ect... in no particular order.

McMillan, Leupold, PN barreled the actions, used their reamers, did the bedding myself, which is where I'm guessing the issues are coming from.
Sound like you got all the parts, the only thing left is to make sure whoever is working on your rifle knows what they are doing.

Mystery solved grin
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

I'm starting to see a theme here........
Posted By: Ackleyman Re: Douglas Barrels? - 09/30/14
I have 1 Douglas, a #1 contour on a lightweight 257 Roberts. Very accurate. I would not hesitate to use Douglas again.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Douglas Barrels? - 09/30/14
I've got them on 4 .223AI's, a .358 Win, a .308, a 30-06, a .243, a .50 muzzleloader...probably more I can't think of. They are all shooters with multiple loads. I've got no complaints with Douglas.
Building a 6.5 x284 on a 721 my smith recommended a new bolt (it's on order) my action bore was about .030 over the OD of the bolt and this causes the sear to push the bolt up loading the bottom bolt lug causing it to not square the case in the chamber solution( PTG bolt .602") that will only have min space in the action. At that point he will square the action to the bolt face ,chamber ,crown, and pass it to me for stock trigger tune ECT. The point is he knows the sloppy bolt would or could cause an issue. So a good smith is very important as well as taking his advice and using quality part.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Douglas Barrels? - 10/01/14
I had Douglas barrel two actions for me. A .375H&H and a .30-06. Both were sub MOA in one range session. Minimal fouling. Easy cleaning. Turn around time was well under two months in both instances. Would not hesitate to use them again.

+2 on HeavyWalker's comment...

Posted By: Sakohunter264 Re: Douglas Barrels? - 10/01/14
Ask Melvin Forbes how Douglas Barrels perform. He has built over 7,000 rifles with these barrels and counting! Nail drivers. However, Hart makes a mighty fine specimen.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Douglas Barrels? - 10/01/14
I have Douglas barreled rifles including one on my 40X match rifle with which I won an important to me match of 120 shots plus sighters.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Douglas Barrels? - 10/01/14
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by erickg

Travis

#2 is pure horsheit.
Posted By: RobJordan Re: Douglas Barrels? - 10/01/14
What I have heard (and experienced with numerous Douglas barrels. "Don't look down 'em, just shoot 'em"
Posted By: War_Eagle Re: Douglas Barrels? - 10/01/14
Had IT&D do a rebarrel job with a Douglas in .338W. It turned out great and the accuracty was wonderful

I am having IT&D rebarrel another but to 6.5x55. Should be back in a week or so. I have no worries that the quality and accuracy will be there.
Posted By: broomd Re: Douglas Barrels? - 10/01/14
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
Ask Melvin Forbes how Douglas Barrels perform. He has built over 7,000 rifles with these barrels and counting! Nail drivers. However, Hart makes a mighty fine specimen.

Yep, was thinking the same thing.

Good enough for a NULA....
© 24hourcampfire