Home
I have read so many different opinions on how to "properly" wet sand a McMillan stock I am now totally scared to touch it in fear of sanding it too much. Not all of them can be right.

Who are the experts and do you have any photos of stocks you've wet sanded?

Long strokes, short strokes, circular motion? eek
Are you trying to put a polish on it.....or what??
Yes, a slight gloss to bring out the colors a little better.
I polished one up long ago....used 400 grit wet sand. Worked like a charm. It's so fine it doesn't matter if you long stroke it or whatever. You might also try some fine steel wool.

On the newer ones, you may have to use some medium grit to smooth out some of the deeper marks.

I sold that one long ago and now I prefer the factory finish with no gloss.

Posted By: KDF Re: Wet sanding a McMillan stock - 10/12/14
This one was wet sanded and then shot with automotive clear. Wouldn't want all my rifles done that way, but I do like it on this one.

[Linked Image]
I've played with my Swirlys Dixie, my suggestion start out till you reach your desired shine.

1. Car Wax & Polish
Want more shine?
2. 3M Rubbing compound, then wax & polish
Still want more shine?
3. 1000/1500 wet sand, rubbing compound, wax & polish.

I used a 3" high speed buffer w/compound & wax.

I've noticed just handling/hunting my Mcswirlys over time has increased the sheen from when I first recieved them.
Originally Posted by slg888
I've played with my Swirlys Dixie, my suggestion start out till you reach your desired shine.

1. Car Wax & Polish
Want more shine?
2. 3M Rubbing compound, then wax & polish
Still want more shine?
3. 1000/1500 wet sand, rubbing compound, wax & polish.

I've noticed just handling/hunting my Mcswirlys over time has increased the sheen from when I first recieved them.

Is this the same way you wax your carrot??
Thank you for the suggestions gentlemen, I appreciate them.
Originally Posted by KDF
This one was wet sanded and then shot with automotive clear. Wouldn't want all my rifles done that way, but I do like it on this one.

[Linked Image]

Great looking stock. I love the McFlames-have one myself that turned out real nice.
Not a McMillian but I've polished the finish on a few factory wood stocks with Meguire's Scratch X http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G10307-ScratchX-2-0-oz/dp/B0002UNON8

It has just a touch of abrasive in it and polishes stuff up nicely. We use it quite a bit at work to polish swirl marks out of lexan and Plexiglass.
No need for sanding. I polish them with a buffing wheel and white compound, the stuff used for acrylic. Comes out nice and shiny. This also works on hardwoods....sand 180, 360, 500-600, then buff.
© 24hourcampfire