Home
Posted By: justintimesc Build input - 10/30/14
Have been planning this build for over a year. Now that everything is in hand I'm having second thoughts. Plans I had for this rifle was mainly a walking backpack rifle for the west. What I'm unsure of is the weight and the ability to be able to take long range shots. Had originally planned on a #2 hart finished at 25" on a remington 700 LA in a Mcmillan edge. Now thinking about either a Bartlein #2b or #3 on the same action and stock. If i went with the #3 I would probably have it fluted.

Problem is I don't worry about weight where I hunt at now. No long walking or stalking type hunting around here. What do you prefer ? I know lighter is always better but when it comes to shooting longer range I know heavy is better. Rifle will be chambered in original 280 AI .

Original plan
Remington 700 LA 39oz
Mcmillan Edge 26oz
Hart #2 @ 25" 42oz
Rings talley lw 3oz
Leupold 2.5-10x40 13oz
Bedding 3oz
Total 7.5 lbs

Altered
Remington LA 39oz
Mcmillan Edge 26oz
Bartlein #3 fluted 48oz
rings Talley lw 3oz
Leupold 2.5-10x40 13oz
Bedding 3oz
Total 8.3 lbs
Posted By: Tanner Re: Build input - 10/30/14
I've been on a lightweight kick lately, but if you can get your rig to go 8lbs scoped, slung, and full of ammo, that will serve you incredibly well hunting the Western US, in my opinion. If I was going to put together a 280 AI to fit your requirements, it would look like this:

700 LA, ADL bottom
McM Classic Edge ADL
Hart #2 at 23"
Talleys
Leup 3.5-10x40 (I'd probably throw on an SWFA 3-9, but the Leup will do you fine...)

8 pounds is a great number for carrying and shooting. I find that I really have to concentrate when shooting flyweights, but I do love carrying them...

What bullets are you planning on shooting?

Posted By: GregW Re: Build input - 10/30/14
What is shooting at "long range" to you?

I would do Plan 1 but dupe the 700 MR contour at 22" or 23". VX-6 2-12 for glass. Throat it properly if it will be an all-arounder.

You'll be between 7 and 7.5...

Posted By: justintimesc Re: Build input - 10/30/14
Planning on the 160 gr accubond, 150 gr sirocco, 160gr partition. Probably will look at the berger also.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Build input - 10/30/14
I'd do a KS contour at 23" and call it a day.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Whats that finish at ?
Greg I'd like this gun to be able to shoot to 700 yds. That's why I have been contemplating a fluted #3 Bartlein.

Also I looked at the vx6. That's a lot of weight and I can't get a M1 for it.
Posted By: GregW Re: Build input - 10/30/14
VX-6 is 16 ounces and your scope is 13 but yes the M1 is a killer. Save more weight than that on your barrel choice.

Dupe the MR or go KS to 700. I do it all the time with a MR dupe -
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Build input - 10/30/14
Originally Posted by justintimesc
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Whats that finish at ?

Kind of between a MR contour and sporter contour. It's .6 at the muzzle as opposed to .56'ish for the MR and .66 for the sporter.
Posted By: gene270 Re: Build input - 10/30/14
i have a build just like your original build and love it............

you could split the difference between your two options and use a hart #3 taper .............
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: Build input - 10/30/14
My primary rifle weighs 7.5 lbs with scope and is a joy to carry, and still shoots well.

[Linked Image]

Rem 700 LA
McMillan Rem Classic Edge
Rock Creek #3, 30 cal, finished at 22.75 inches
Chambered in 30-06
Leupold 6x42 scope

I rarely carry my rifle using my sling. It's comfortable in hand, so I just don't use the sling much.

This rifle had a Bartlein #3 on it before the Rock #3. The Bart was a bit too chunky for what I wanted, so I sold it pretty soon. The balance was too far forward.

I think you might consider a bit shorter barrel (between 22 and 23 inches would be my pick). I also wouldn't go heavier than the Bartlein 2B, and even that is a bit heavy. I think you would really like a Hart #2 or Hart #3 sized barrel with the Edge.

Let us know how it works out!
Posted By: Shodd Re: Build input - 10/30/14
Originally Posted by Tanner
I've been on a lightweight kick lately, but if you can get your rig to go 8lbs scoped, slung, and full of ammo, that will serve you incredibly well hunting the Western US, in my opinion. If I was going to put together a 280 AI to fit your requirements, it would look like this:

700 LA, ADL bottom
McM Classic Edge ADL
Hart #2 at 23"
Talleys
Leup 3.5-10x40 (I'd probably throw on an SWFA 3-9, but the Leup will do you fine...)

8 pounds is a great number for carrying and shooting. I find that I really have to concentrate when shooting flyweights, but I do love carrying them...

What bullets are you planning on shooting?

Tanner, that would be one sweet rifle. I have been on the lightweight rifle kick for awhile also and have come to the same conclusion you have.

My 270 tikka lite comes in at 7.5 scoped and loaded ready to hunt and for a non magnum is perfect in my opinion.

If I were shooting a 7 mag 8 1/4 to 8 1/2 lbs would be where I want to be.

Shod

Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Build input - 10/30/14
A Bartlein #3 is the same as everyone else's #4, their #2B is everyone else's #3. Even fluted I think a #3 Bartlein will get too chunky. A 280 AI on a remington I'd be tempted to do a 2B at 23" as someone mentioned. Heavier usually shoots better but a great lighter barrel screwed on by a great gunsmith will shoot plenty good. A #2B still isn't light, it's plenty heavy to shoot well.

I don't do long barrels on hunting rifles anymore, too little gain for the weight & handling sacrifices.
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: Build input - 10/30/14
No flies on the MR or KS contour and I would go that way for the ease of it. Lots of guys going to 1k with flyweight rifles. If your after a lightweight to carry that has the "ability" to go to 700 then your plan is good. Of your trying to purposely build a long range gun that will live on a bench or tripod then yeah you may be a tad light.

My current 280AI uses a fluted #5 and weighs 9lb 6oz loaded. It was built for sitting on canyons all day and as a long range (been to 1450yds so far) play toy. It shoots stupid well but is a bit heavier then what I would want for packing all day.

I shot my mule deer buck this year at 594yds with a 7lb 4oz 257WBY and had no doubts on its ability.

Most guns built of good parts by a capable smith regardless of weight are more capable then 99% of shooters myself included.
Posted By: starsky Re: Build input - 10/30/14
Stick with the #2 but I'd go shorter than 25". Everything else looks perfect to me.
Posted By: laker Re: Build input - 10/30/14
Id cut two inches off the barrel in your original plan and run with it.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Build input - 10/30/14
280AI on Rem 700
Brux #3 fluted cut to 23"
Classic Edge (love it)
Bolt fluting and lightening cuts by Kampfeld
PT&G alum shroud/fluted pin/alum T/G
Cerakote
Talley Ltwts
Leupold 3.5-10x40

Shorter shank would cut more weight.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: justintimesc Re: Build input - 10/31/14
Any idea how much freebore is optimum for the 160gr accubond ?

Posted By: 257heaven Re: Build input - 10/31/14
No idear here. I'm trying some 162 A-Max just kissing.

Posted By: handwerk Re: Build input - 10/31/14
I'd say stick to your original plan. My 280 AI comes in at 7 3/4 lbs scoped and has a fwt contour barrel, shoots and carries great.
Posted By: Taco2fiddy7 Re: Build input - 10/31/14
Hunters Edge, 24" finished at .660, wearing a 6x42

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ctsmith Re: Build input - 10/31/14
When debating a light tube vs a medium weight tube, land on the Hart #3. You can't go wrong. There is no sacrifice in weight nor accuracy.

Specs are here. Even with a Stiller action the bare rifle is 6lbs 6oz.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/9290309/Beanland_Light_308#Post9290309
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Build input - 10/31/14
Mine is a 23" Rock #2.

You say you want a back packing rifle? The FW, PN #1, KS, or anything similar would make me happy as well. I'd keep it 22-23" and keep the shank short.
Posted By: John_Boy Re: Build input - 10/31/14
How about a #1 contour at 21"?
Of course I'd be using one of those old heavy Mauser actions....maybe with a little metal work....... 6.5x06
I had an Interarms in .270 with a #2 stainless at 25"....I didn't really care for that setup though. She's gone now.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Build input - 11/01/14
KS contour is the way to fly on a Remmy. 22" for me.
© 24hourcampfire