Home
Posted By: xverminator ULA/NULA pics.........! - 12/04/14
Post 'em up fellas. I'm about to order my first and I'm pumped but cant decide on the stock paint....Don't forget to mention your model, chambering, and weights please!!

X-VERMINATOR
Posted By: Steelhead Re: ULA/NULA pics.........! - 12/04/14
Tell him to surprise you.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Tell him to surprise you.

wonder what he'd get...
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: ULA/NULA pics.........! - 12/04/14
Camo is the only way to go (Forbes pictured).

[Linked Image]
Surprises are over rated.....grin! I'm diggin' the top one!
[Linked Image]

X-VERMINATOR
I ordered a McMillan one time, when we got to colors I told them 'surprise me'

It works
Originally Posted by Steelhead

It works

Hang a pic, I dare ya...

X-VERMINATOR
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: ULA/NULA pics.........! - 12/04/14
I like Melvin's camo patterns, but have never owned one of his rifles painted in one. Instead the two I have now are a .257 Weatherby with a stock that's basically olive drab, and a .30-06 in Henry Ford's choice, black.

My wife Eileen's .257 Roberts NULA once won an ugly hunting rifle contest in the bar of the Higgins Hotel in Glenrock, Wyoming. Ever since it's been called "The Ugly Stick." It's painted with one of his green-stripe patterns.
Posted By: 7x57STEVE Re: ULA/NULA pics.........! - 12/04/14

I've got 6 ULA/NULA's and all are Henry Ford black.

And I really like the way they look.

Steve
Posted By: 257heaven Re: ULA/NULA pics.........! - 12/04/14
Originally Posted by xverminator
[Linked Image]

X-VERMINATOR

Those are/were mine. Still have the bottom 2. I'd go for the classic green brown black stripe pattern with the wider stripes.
Posted By: gene270 Re: ULA/NULA pics.........! - 12/04/14
see if you can google his CL camo it is my favorite
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: ULA/NULA pics.........! - 12/04/14
[Linked Image]

X-VERMINATOR

Man, I hope he didn't charge extra for the paint on those top 3...................just sayin'.

MM
Originally Posted by HunterJim

Here is the "CL Camo" on my M24 '06.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: ejo Re: ULA/NULA pics.........! - 12/04/14
Take a look at the Forbes website. You will see most of the paint options displayed in the catalog. The speckle versions always look nice, I had one in Onyx and it looked good.

http://downeastdigitalcinema.com/catalogtest/index.html
Posted By: 257heaven Re: ULA/NULA pics.........! - 12/05/14
Originally Posted by ejo
Take a look at the Forbes website. You will see most of the paint options displayed in the catalog. The speckle versions always look nice, I had one in Onyx and it looked good.

http://downeastdigitalcinema.com/catalogtest/index.html

Yea....but no.
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
[Linked Image]

X-VERMINATOR

Man, I hope he didn't charge extra for the paint on those top 3...................just sayin'.

MM

I've tried to copy the diagonal stripe pattern and it ain't easy. Ended up using tape. LOL. But it's definitely classic ULA paint!

That's actually one of your better color patterns Steely...I like it! However, as MD mentioned some of the NULA camo patterns are hideous. No camo roulette for me. Hard to mess up a swirly but I'll give it to ya, you and Walukewicz used to try like hell....(grin)..

X-VERMINATOR
.257 you know you have too many rifles when a random google search turns up a half a dozen of them...

X-VERMINATOR
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

.270 WBY, .257 WBY

.240 WBY- not a Nula though. Just for giggles.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

.270 WBY, .257 WBY

.240 WBY- not a Nula though. Just for giggles.
[Linked Image]

Haha. That 270 Bee used to have gray/black stripes. LOL. It was sent back to Melvin to cut 2" off the barrel and repaint/rebed the stock.

I sure hope it shoots! Thought it might be yours.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: ULA/NULA pics.........! - 12/05/14
What cartridge are you going with?
Scott, glad you asked! Most likely .221 Fireball......

The idea is to have a ramblin' rifle for off season pursuits that can accurately handle varmints, put small game in the pot with head shots, not blow fur bearers all over the hillside, and reliably take a deer if I decide to. 50gr TTSX's will most likely get the nod but 45gr TSX's are already proven so we'll see.

I'm fortunate that I only have to work during the spring, summer and early fall, then take the winters off. Most of my off season trampin' is done via a boat along the Missouri River and the many islands it conceals. I'll typically spend 3 to 5 five days a week just bumming around the woods from Nov. through late Feb. Most days I'm scouting cat sign (to be trapped later) or looking for Indian artifacts, sheds, caves, etc.

Such trampin' around usually leads to shots of opportunity on a variety of furred and feathered varmints and occasionally I'll shoot a few tree squirrels or rabbits for the pot. If I get tired of hiking, exploring, climbing, or crawling through caves, I may just sit down and try to call a coyote or fox via hand calls.

I've currently got an LVSF .221 bedded in a MR take off laminate. The 45gr TSX always amazes me in this rifle... It's a great combo but I'm getting tired of carrying the 8+lbs everyday. Maybe I'm just getting old but to replicate the performance in a 5.5 or 6lb rifle would be nirvana for what I do!

I've built a lot of higher end stuff and have most everything covered. The fact is, the current rambler get's carried way more days per year than anything else and as a result has killed way more sh+t than all of them put together.

Some of you will no doubt think I'm crazy to pay NULA prices for a ramblin' rifle in .221 Fireball but I've never been afraid to spend money to get exactly what I want. Like I said, I've got several high end rifles that won't get carried nearly as much...............

There is certainly more than one way to skin a cat though. After a lot of research I was right on the verge of hitting the "buy it now" button on Gunbroker for a Sako A1 donor. That action along with a McMillan edge and a #1 contour would be really hard to beat.

Then there is the Kimber Montana. I thought long and hard about buying one in .223 tripping the barrel here and doing SAS's Lilja contour or a factory dupe in .221... However, I questioned how it would feed the shorter Fireball cases from the mag. A mag box mod could likely solve any issues but even easier would be to just do a .222 Rem............

In the end I decided since I had never owned a NULA and always wanted one, that it may very well make the most sense of the three and quench my eclectic thirst all at once...

X-VERMINATOR

Quite like your idea of the .221 fireball. It's an excellent cartridge, I own one in a Remington 700 classic. I also really like the .222 Rem, and find it somewhat more reliable when it comes to feeding. Also the .222 Rem is extremely accurate and can be easily loaded down to .221 fireball speeds if after pelts. NULAs are extremely excellent fine tuned machines. I think you will be impressed with the accuracy you achieve and they are certainly a pleasure to carry, not to mention Melvin puts much thought into balance.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: ULA/NULA pics.........! - 12/05/14
You only have to make yourself happy.

I'm sure it will work fine, but I've yet to see a Fireball anything that wasn't a little temperamental when it came to feeding.

I can't see picking it over a 222/223, but again, you only have to make yourself happy
Posted By: Kaleb Re: ULA/NULA pics.........! - 12/05/14
I totally agree with spending or investing the most on what sees the most use. I have a real light 223AI and I can't guess at how much more use it gets compared to everything else. I even shot a deer with a ff load....grin.

I also really like the stripes fwiw
Posted By: donsm70 Re: ULA/NULA pics.........! - 12/05/14
Here are my two;

[Linked Image]

Top is a CLR/Nula in 7x57.

Bottom is a NULA Model 20 in 7-08.

donsm70
Have not tried a small caliber NULA, but I'd love to have one.

The 223 Montana is hard to beat....and could be loaded down as others have said. But I've never been one to worry about practicality. And Melvin can rebarrel for not much dinero if you're not satisfied.

There's a ULA 243AI on Gunbroker for a good price, but it's probably slow-twisted. And it would need the barrel cut down.
I know, I know...There are more practical choices but I have a real soft spot for the .221. It has the features I like in a woods bumming rifle. Easy on fur with the 45 TSX, doesn't shut the woods off every time you pull the trigger, and leaves the edibles when head shooting small game (again TSX)......BTW, it feeds perfectly in my LVSF.

I intend to talk to Melvin about the feeding with the Fireball and will follow his advice. I'm not in to loading sh+t down, never have been so the .223 is out. If the Fireball is a no go then I could probably live with a .222 Rem and will have to revisit the Montana .222 idea...!

X-VERMINATOR
Posted By: 65BR Re: ULA/NULA pics.........! - 12/05/14
Had 220, 22/250, 223, 222, and 221.

Love the FB, but feel the triple deuce is what I would build. The larger three can be had in numerous OEM but bore me - and only gate Swift shot as accurate - a VSSF, but eats bbls.

My FB also had a few issue feeding/extracting - built by SG &Y, on a former 223 action in ADL set up.
Shot bugholes, but so did a 222 BDL sporter I goofed and sold. Shot literally one hole like the FB, when dropped into an HS sporter.

A 6x222 would be a consideration if shooting modest ranges but the 40 Vmax at 3700+ w Lil Gun perks, and the small Barnes doubles on Bambi if state regs allow .22

Posted By: ejo Re: ULA/NULA pics.........! - 12/05/14
Sounds like you have decided on a NULA but you may want to consider a Pierce Ti action. I just had one put together by Pierce for much less than the NULA's I have owned. The weight is the same and from my experience they are a different class of rifle.

I like the idea of the 221 fireball and agree I spend much more time with my walking small game rifle.
Posted By: 7_08FAN Re: ULA/NULA pics.........! - 12/05/14
I got them all and seems like I grab the FB about every time I head out...One in a lite weight would be better.....ejo, could you post some pictures and specs or start a new thread on them....mine is a LVSF in a Mickey Classic....

I assure you it shoots really well. My memory is if was not hard to get sub 1/2"
Posted By: 257heaven Re: ULA/NULA pics.........! - 12/06/14
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer

I assure you it shoots really well. My memory is if was not hard to get sub 1/2"

There he is.....you been huntin' or something??
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: ULA/NULA pics.........! - 12/06/14
Your LVSF on a diet would be alright.

Trim 2" off barrel, or close to the end of the flutes.
Lightweight bolt and shroud.
Rifle Basix aluminum trigger.
Edge stock.

I think you'd end up with just as nice of a rifle.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: ULA/NULA pics.........! - 12/06/14
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Your LVSF on a diet would be alright.

Trim 2" off barrel, or close to the end of the flutes.
Lightweight bolt and shroud.
Rifle Basix aluminum trigger.
Edge stock.

I think you'd end up with just as nice of a rifle.

[Linked Image]
It will be a .221 or .222, no debate there. If Melvin doesn't think he can make the Fireball feed then I'll likely just go Montana .222... Back to the NULA pics please...

UPDATE!

Found a Montana .223 for a good price. I figured fugg it, and it is on the way! I had already talked to a very well known gunsmith and he thought that the little CRF Montana would be a pain in the a$$ to make feed with the Fireball, so we'll see.

When it gets here I'll run some Fireballs through the mag and see how they do then go from there....The NULA is still in play but out of curiosity I had to see what was what with the Montana.......

X-VERMINATOR
Posted By: 65BR Re: ULA/NULA pics.........! - 12/06/14
Should you go with a 222, is there any foreseeable downside to using a fast twist, say an 8?

Probably not but I really could'nt foresee an upside either...

X-VERMINATOR
Posted By: Steelhead Re: ULA/NULA pics.........! - 12/06/14
I'd do a 1-8" for sure.
Posted By: cooperfan Re: ULA/NULA pics.........! - 12/07/14
NULA .50 Cal MZ, Kahles 1.5-6x42 CBX Illuminated #4, FFP. Removable steel Talleys, Cerakoted entire barreled action by Eddie Fosnaugh

I love this combo, probably my favorite rifle I've ever owned. I couldn't ask for anything better. Outfitter camo, with black web. Removed ram rod for looks

[Linked Image]

Posted By: slm9s Re: ULA/NULA pics.........! - 12/08/14
7rm
[Linked Image]
Posted By: smokepole Re: ULA/NULA pics.........! - 12/08/14
Originally Posted by cooperfan
NULA .50 Cal MZ, Kahles 1.5-6x42 CBX Illuminated #4, FFP. Removable steel Talleys, Cerakoted entire barreled action by Eddie Fosnaugh

I love this combo, probably my favorite rifle I've ever owned. I couldn't ask for anything better. Outfitter camo, with black web. Removed ram rod for looks

How does it shoot?

[Linked Image]

Outfitter camo? I like it! Who did it?

X-VERMINATOR
Anything but red.... whistle
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: ULA/NULA pics.........! - 12/08/14
Red looks okay.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: ULA/NULA pics.........! - 12/08/14
Originally Posted by slm9s
7rm
[Linked Image]

I like the look of this one. Shoot good?
Posted By: slm9s Re: ULA/NULA pics.........! - 12/08/14
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Originally Posted by slm9s
7rm
[Linked Image]

I like the look of this one. Shoot good?

Yes sir. An excellent all-around rifle.
Posted By: cooperfan Re: ULA/NULA pics.........! - 12/08/14
Melvin did the paint job.

I sent him a picture out of a cabelas magazine. Came out nice
Posted By: cooperfan Re: ULA/NULA pics.........! - 12/08/14
Originally Posted by smokepole

How does it shoot?

MOA. I'm sure if you played around with different sabots, powders etc it would do better.

275 grain Parker Extreme bullets
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: ULA/NULA pics.........! - 12/08/14
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
[Linked Image]

X-VERMINATOR

MM

I've tried to copy the diagonal stripe pattern and it ain't easy. Ended up using tape. LOL. But it's definitely classic ULA paint!

You'll need an airbrush...........

MM
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: ULA/NULA pics.........! - 12/09/14
Henry Ford............

[Linked Image]

Tiger Striped..........

[Linked Image]

Camo of some sort.......

[Linked Image]

And for the HUNDREDTH time (grin), green stuff......

[Linked Image]
About 12 years ago I had Melvin build me a model 24 in .338-06. I used it on about five or six Colorado hunts taking Mule Deer and Elk.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A couple of years ago. I realized that I was not interested in Western Hunting anymore and that the .338 caliber really isn't needed for Kentucky whitetails. At the same time my daughter Emma was becoming quite the white tail hunter. I decided to have the rifle rebarreled in a more suitable Kentucky caliber for her yet suitable for Kentucky elk hunting. Since the silly regulations here require a minimum of .270 for elk we chose to have the rifle rebarreled to that fine old round.

Emma went with me to Melvin's last April and she chose a lighter featherweight barrel and requested the same forest green with the spiderweb stock. Not sure why the stock looks blue in this photo, but it is forest green.

[Linked Image]

The little rifle weighs an ounce over six pounds empty and as Emma says, "It shoots pretty well."

[Linked Image]

For those interested the load is the 150 gr. Hornady interlock and 41 grains of IMR 4064 which is Speer's starting charge. Perfect for Kentucky Whitetails inside 200 yards!
© 24hourcampfire