Home
Posted By: jotahech Stiller and Bat - 12/07/14
Looking at both for my first full custom. Primarily hunt and some paperwork. 6.5 or 7 short. Something like 65br's with a little less girth maybe. Any preference on actions or concerns? Thanks. Johnny
Posted By: darrenk75b Re: Stiller and Bat - 12/07/14
Bat is a superior action, no doubt about it. However, the Stiller is no slouch. In all honesty, if built well you likely won't notice any difference in actual performance. But, for pure smoothness, the bat will win every day and twice on Sunday.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Stiller and Bat - 12/07/14
Bat over Stiller.

PIERCE is also worth a serious look.....
Posted By: darrenk75b Re: Stiller and Bat - 12/07/14
As is a Kelbly atlas action
Posted By: 300MAG Re: Stiller and Bat - 12/07/14
Go with the BAT!!
Posted By: jowens Re: Stiller and Bat - 12/07/14
Bat
Posted By: slm9s Re: Stiller and Bat - 12/07/14
Bat over Stiller.

Also look at Defiance/Nesika.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Stiller and Bat - 12/07/14
I'm sorry to disagree. I have had a few of both, but the smoothest receiver between the 2 is a Stiller.
Posted By: jotahech Re: Stiller and Bat - 12/07/14
Found a deal on a tac30 and wondered if the bat was worth the extra money or if there were any problems with the stiller. I do like the integral lug and rail on the bat.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Stiller and Bat - 12/07/14
I don't own either but the Stillers I have worked the bolt on, 3 different action samples have been anything but smooth and one example had a very grabby spot when running the bolt back and forth!
Posted By: zfastmalibu Re: Stiller and Bat - 12/08/14
Stiller is not even in the same class as Bat. They don't make their own bolts, which leads to QC issues. Their timing is lousy, the closing cams in the action dont match the profile of the lugs, looks like they are hogged out with a ball mill. Lugs required lapping on every one I have worked with. A melonited and timed Bat is about as smooth as it gets. If you truly want the best, get a Borden.
Posted By: Popapi Re: Stiller and Bat - 12/08/14
Stiller is hard to beat LOVE mine and I have a BAT and Pierce!
Posted By: BurninDupont Re: Stiller and Bat - 12/08/14
Beat me to it, I use Borden's and like them very much!
Posted By: 65BR Re: Stiller and Bat - 12/08/14
Built 3 Bordens, and will do one more.
I am looking at Pierce and Defiance afterwards just b/c. Had a Stiller in the past, no issues.
Posted By: SAKO75 Re: Stiller and Bat - 12/08/14
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Bat over Stiller.

PIERCE is also worth a serious look.....
had stiller predator, have a pierce, both were good, i prefer the pierce though
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Stiller and Bat - 12/09/14
Looks like this is another Chevy, Dodge, or Ford thread. Bordens are very good. I received a Pierce Titanium for my next build and have a Pierce CM in a woodstocked custom. I've done 2 Stiller SAUM rifles and a Diamondback drop port.I've had 4 Kelbly receivers, 2 Farleys, a couple Bats,a Benchmaster, a couple Shilens, and probably a few that I forgot, yeah an early Nesika that wasn't my favorite.
I have no idea what the malibu guy is saying as PT&G makes bolts for several of the receiver mfg and I would suppose the others would be bad if they used the PT&G bolts also. The only ones that I'm aware of with bolt or extraction problems were the Phoenix actions and they are no more.
Posted By: Popapi Re: Stiller and Bat - 12/09/14
Butch you need to go ahead and sell me that Ti Pierce!!!!! LOL!!!!!
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Stiller and Bat - 12/09/14
My only experience is with a Stiller TAC 30 - a fast-twist Mickey Coleman 22-250. I love it. The pic rail and rings are schitt as far as I'm concerned. Replaced them with Talley Ltwt's. It's one of my favorite rifles........most of the others are Rem 700's.

Posted By: inkballedtarget Re: Stiller and Bat - 12/09/14
Bats are defiantly nice. But for a hunting gun I'm not sure they are entirely appropriate as the tolerances of the action are extremely tight and have been known to bind with a little dust, dirt, or muck.

I think if you wanted to bump up above the stiller, the defiance deviant would be a great choice as it is a tactical action. With the integral lug and picatinny rail it is of the highest craftsmanship. I have a build going on this now and this action is a thing of beauty!

Just the simple thoughts of a simple man,
Calvin
Posted By: zfastmalibu Re: Stiller and Bat - 12/10/14
The Malibu guy is talking about the last 3 Stillers I had in my hands 2 had bolt issues. One I fixed, the other one was not fixable and went back for refund. Just because they go bang dont mean they are perfect. Aside from the issues, they were all timed differently. How can you fit a bolt perfectly when some one else is making them in one piece? If how smooth the bolt goes in and out is the measure of an action then they are fine I guess. As far as I know Stiller is the only one using PTG bolts. Bat, Pierce, Defiance, Kelbly, and Borden all make their own. I am a fan of the older Stillers when they made the bolts in house.
Posted By: Dasher Re: Stiller and Bat - 12/10/14
Some examples!
My favorite action is the BAT. A close second the Defiance. Stiller is step up from Remington. A well tuned Remington is right nice and as accurate as any.
For My top pic as a Hunting rifle, probably the Defiance Deviant Hunter.

Remington, well worked over
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Stiller
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Stiller
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BAT
[img]http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg37/20dasher/6ead45321b582395963fa6286538590e.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg37/20dasher/7f5dcc7cdf837f48749cc0147d816a1e.jpg[/img]

APA/Defiance
[img]http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg37/20dasher/4ecbcda09452951945c4690b3b061405.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg37/20dasher/fcf9c49b39f75a1ad8432adbe2c35eb6.jpg[/img]

Posted By: Dasher Re: Stiller and Bat - 12/10/14
Another Defiance

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: zfastmalibu Re: Stiller and Bat - 12/10/14
I have almost bought a Defiance a few times, but I can't get over that ugly bolt handle.
Posted By: jotahech Re: Stiller and Bat - 12/15/14
Well, I had the bat for 1200 sold out from under me. All he has left are the tac30 in short action and I think he might have a long action bat. Hadn't planned on a long. Just a little pissed.
Posted By: darrenk75b Re: Stiller and Bat - 12/15/14
Originally Posted by zfastmalibu
I have almost bought a Defiance a few times, but I can't get over that ugly bolt handle.

They have like a half dozen handle options on the Defiance. I have a small teardrop on mine, and like it quite a bit
© 24hourcampfire