Home
Posted By: Mtngroan Gunsmith in Montana - 01/20/15
Hey guy's, I'm looking to have a barrel chambered and fitted to an action. Looking to keep it in Montana right now. Any recommendations?
Thanks,
Mtngroan
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Gunsmith in Montana - 01/20/15
Try Snowy mtn rifles in Missoula!
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: Gunsmith in Montana - 01/20/15
Dennis Olson in Plains, MT
Posted By: scouter Re: Gunsmith in Montana - 01/20/15
Tim Cronin of Elkhorn Precision in Columbia Falls.

Thank me later.
Posted By: 300MAG Re: Gunsmith in Montana - 01/20/15
Originally Posted by scouter
Tim Cronin of Elkhorn Precision in Columbia Falls.

Thank me later.

^ THIS ^

Tim builds a hell of a rifle.....fit & finish are THE best in the business!!
Posted By: KRAKMT Re: Gunsmith in Montana - 01/28/15
Dave Young in GF(Tracy) is a good metal guy.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Gunsmith in Montana - 01/29/15
What about The Gunfather on t.v. that doesn't like people who eat onions?

grin
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Gunsmith in Montana - 01/30/15
My guess is that there are more guys with a lathe in Montana that know how to cut tenon, threads, chamber, and headspace, than there are small towns in Montana.

Just stick your head out the window of your house and yell, "Who can chamber my rifle?"

I have helped move two lathes to a town of 250 people in Montana, and I know there are better gunsmiths [ones with web sites] than those two in that town.

Google does not show a gunsmith within 200 miles of where I took those lathes
https://www.google.com/maps/search/gunsmith+montana/@46.6797994,-110.044783,6z/data=!3m1!4b1

Just yell out the window.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Gunsmith in Montana - 01/30/15
Originally Posted by Reloder28
What about The Gunfather on t.v. that doesn't like people who eat onions?

grin

Moron who needs his ass kicked back to New York...
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Gunsmith in Montana - 01/30/15
er wait, there are a thousand FFLs in MT, can't tell which are gunsmiths, but if they are not, they know where the gunsmiths are.

Call all the FFLs near you and ask, "Who around here can chamber my rifle?"

http://fflgundealers.net/transfer/montana/57.html

probably your next door neighbor.

I made a 2 minute video showing twice how to cut threads on a barrel with a lathe. A little kid with a $2K lathe could do this.

Posted By: shrapnel Re: Gunsmith in Montana - 01/30/15
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas
Dennis Olson in Plains, MT

Without a doubt. This guy is undiscovered and capable beyond comprehension. He can build any part or all of a gun and is reasonably fast and definitely affordable. He built all of these rifles...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Brad Re: Gunsmith in Montana - 01/30/15
Originally Posted by shrapnel
This guy is undiscovered

"Undiscovered" is not something used to describe Dennis Olson... he's pretty well known, here and elsewhere.
Posted By: EdM Re: Gunsmith in Montana - 01/31/15
Nice wood work.
Posted By: Mtngroan Re: Gunsmith in Montana - 01/31/15
Originally Posted by Clarkm
My guess is that there are more guys with a lathe in Montana that know how to cut tenon, threads, chamber, and headspace, than there are small towns in Montana.

Just stick your head out the window of your house and yell, "Who can chamber my rifle?"

I have helped move two lathes to a town of 250 people in Montana, and I know there are better gunsmiths [ones with web sites] than those two in that town.

Google does not show a gunsmith within 200 miles of where I took those lathes
https://www.google.com/maps/search/gunsmith+montana/@46.6797994,-110.044783,6z/data=!3m1!4b1

Just yell out the window.

So are you saying anyone can do this, and I shouldn't worry about recommendations. What makes me wonder is the price difference between some of these guy's. I have prices from $150 to $360 to chamber and fit. Another question, a gun chambered and fit by a notable gunsmith would more than likely be more valuable in the end?
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Gunsmith in Montana - 02/02/15
I am rude crude amateur, and I have built a 6mmBR rifle from old parts that shot a 0.3" group at 100 yards. My guess is that 1% of the population of Montana has the skill and equipment to do better than me.

But if it is jewelry and investment you are after, that is another story.

I have made 20% compounded annually from equities for the last 20 years.

I have made 3% compounded annually from guns, guitars, and Gold for some time.

I am losing money on gun parts. I am not in the gun biz.

The editor of Field and Steam says that synthetic stock rifles are a poor investment.

My father said that a guy should drag a new gun behind the truck, so it would get scratched up and he could quit worrying about that.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Gunsmith in Montana - 02/02/15
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I am rude crude amateur, and I have built a 6mmBR rifle from old parts that shot a 0.3" group at 100 yards. My guess is that 1% of the population of Montana has the skill and equipment to do better than me.

But if it is jewelry and investment you are after, that is another story.

I have made 20% compounded annually from equities for the last 20 years.

I have made 3% compounded annually from guns, guitars, and Gold for some time.

I am losing money on gun parts. I am not in the gun biz.

The editor of Field and Steam says that synthetic stock rifles are a poor investment.

My father said that a guy should drag a new gun behind the truck, so it would get scratched up and he could quit worrying about that.

Whatever,

Dennis Olson is a very good gunsmith. He did the metal work on a 458 Lott for me.
Posted By: greydog Re: Gunsmith in Montana - 02/03/15
I have seen quite a bit of Dennis Olsen's work and if I was looking to have some work done, I would feel just fine taking it to him. GD
Posted By: Brad Re: Gunsmith in Montana - 02/03/15
Originally Posted by greydog
I have seen quite a bit of Dennis Olsen's work and if I was looking to have some work done, I would feel just fine taking it to him. GD

Bill, coming from you that's saying a lot.

Wish you lived in Bozeman!
Posted By: Bullwhacker Re: Gunsmith in Montana - 02/06/15
+1 for Dennis. I have had him do several projects recently and all are perfect. Worth the wait, be patient....
Posted By: greydog Re: Gunsmith in Montana - 02/07/15
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by greydog

Bill, coming from you that's saying a lot.

Wish you lived in Bozeman!

There are times when I wish I lived in Bozeman but I've got it pretty good here. I rode through Plains last summer and was going to stop and visit Dennis but was anxious to get home and it was late in the day. GD
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Gunsmith in Montana - 03/12/15

That's a beautiful stock right there.

[Linked Image]

© 24hourcampfire