Home
Anyone else ever have this experience? Cracks appeared after the stock was baked at 150 degrees. They were from the magazine well to the front screw and then forward from the front screw.
I am not surprised - the large aluminum block in there surely will have a completely different coefficient of thermal expansion than the stock. When heating it up, the aluminum will expand at a faster rate than the fiberglass(?) and two items cannot occupy the same space. The aluminum won and the stock material lost.
Why would the stock have to be oven baked>? They make an air dry version
I know a local high school kid who broke his B&C stock right at the wrist. Not sure how he did it, and he's a punk, but it can be done. The rest of the rifle doesn't look abused however.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Not an expert. But, I believe Cerakote has to be baked to fully cure. Duracoat can be baked for faster cure, or can be air cured over a longer period of time. I believe air cure for Duracoat can take several weeks to fully cure/harden if it is not heated.
Originally Posted by Orion2000

Not an expert. But, I believe Cerakote has to be baked to fully cure. Duracoat can be baked for faster cure, or can be air cured over a longer period of time. I believe air cure for Duracoat can take several weeks to fully cure/harden if it is not heated.

There are 2 types of Cerakote. Air Cure and Bake Cure...
Originally Posted by Pahntr760

Yep.

I would never bake a stock, just isn't necessary.

DF
Our stocks bake every season. Leaving them in the trunk here will net you 150° easy in the summer- Never had one break though!
Aluminum bedding blocks... the answer to the question no one with any sense would be asking...

Learn something new everyday... Does the air dry cerakote go on thin like the bake on ?

Learn something new everyday... Does the air dry cerakote go on thin like the bake on ?

Yep.
Epoxy based paint is good for stocks and chemically activated...also the same material as a composite stock is made from...it or automotive paint can be top coated with a clear polyurethane to protect it.
Honestly, I'd ask for a heavy discount/ refund/ ect. (if you weren't the painter). In most aramid fiber stocks warranty cards it's specifically noted not to bake them.

Adam
© 24hourcampfire