Home
But them darned things are SO expensive. So I decided today to order a MechTech conversion unit. Guy at MechTech swears it will work with my Dan Wesson Razorback pistol.
[Linked Image]
I had one in 45acp. Really enjoyed it. Not a sniper rifle but with enough hold over I could hit the gong at 200 meters.
Looks like a fun gun!

Mike
I've thought they were interesting, too. Let us know how it shoots & functions smile
What a cool toy! And the extra barrel length will make the already powerful 10mm cartridge and really make it SLING stuff!

Are you going to hunt any medium sized game animals with it? Within its range, should be good on deer and hogs and similar.
My buddy has an Olympic Arms 10MM that runs great. Not sure the price but he doesn't break the bank for firearms?
Two total knee replacements kind of ended my hunting days. This is a target using the Dan Wesson Razorback. I can only think with a 11 inch longer barrel it will beat this.

[Linked Image]

Is it classified as an sbr?
I picked up a 9mm version for a Glock (none are SBR).

They run fine, but are stupidly heavy. That is my only complaint... that... and they can pick spot rust pretty durn easy.

I plan to take #2-#3 off the barrel diameter (way oversized (i.e. raw blank diameter is SAME for all calibers IIRC)).
Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter
Is it classified as an sbr?

They aren't even a firearm, and can be shipped right to your door.

If you were to cut the barrel shorter than the 16" they come with, you'd have to put it on an SBR frame to be legal, or remove the stock and use it as a pistol. Otherwise, with the 16" barrel, they just make your pistol a rifle (well, carbine technically).

CashisKing, be careful lightening the barrel profile too much. I cut down one in 357 Sig that has the bore off-center in the middle. It shoots great and doesn't seem to hurt anything, but if you slimmed it down too much, it could be a problem. Most of the weight on these is in the bolt anyway; you don't want to lighten the bolt.
Well, If I wanted a pistol I also have a long slide 10mm. I wanted a carbine. Can't wait to see what a 16" barrel does with a 10mm round.
Beretta Storm in a .40 is pretty cool.

Not a 10, but close enough.

Travis
They are heavy because they are blow back actions, thus the heavy bolt. Had my 45acp converted to 460 Rowland. Cost of ammo took a lot of the fun out of it.
[Linked Image]
I put a Parker Hale 308 sniper barrel on a Tokarev pistol and chambered it for 30 Mauser.

[Linked Image]

15 years ago I converted a 1903 Turkish Mauser to 45acp.

Rifles that shoot pistol cartridges are more fun and less useful than other rifles. I can let other people at the range shoot them, and they like the lack of recoil.
Originally Posted by websterparish47
They are heavy because they are blow back actions, thus the heavy bolt. Had my 45acp converted to 460 Rowland. Cost of ammo took a lot of the fun out of it.

Well I have 3 10mm pistols, and I reload. So ammo cost is not a problem.
It's here, it's here!
With my Dan Wesson Razorback 10mm as a lower:
[Linked Image]
I have a 10mm MP5. I reload my own rounds and get 1590fps avg out of 165gr HP using 800x.
jcurlee21, WELCOME to 24hrcf!

I would like to see what my handload that pushes 180HP's out the snout at 1375 fps will do when fired from one of these uppers with a 16 inch or longer barrel. If one uses the old (and misproven) 40FPS per inch of bbl, my 180's at 1375 load would theoretically sling that 180gr Gold Dot out at about 1815fps. THAT would be some hog killin power right there, not that the load out of my 1911 left any doubt.

Gandog, do you mind me asking where you obtained such a thing, how to get ahold of them, and how much this conversion cost you? Looks like LOADS of fun and some useful applications. My Lower will be Rock Island, but I see no reason my results will not also be very good.
I think I'm going to love this thing!

[Linked Image] http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/Gandog56/DSCN0086_zpsyaqfilap.jpg [img]http://[/img]

Whats your load?
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Whats your load?

Ahhh, the best part. That's with my homemade reloads of a copper plated 180 grain HP's and using HP38 powder.
Originally Posted by gandog56
I think I'm going to love this thing!

[Linked Image] http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/Gandog56/DSCN0086_zpsyaqfilap.jpg [img]http://[/img]

At what range? Any velocity numbers?
Don't have a chrony, and this was done at 25 yards with like a 20 mph crosswind. I was just firing it for the first time to see how it grouped.
My only thing I have found so far I do not like. The bolt does NOT lock back after the last round is fired. Unless I'm actually counting the rounds fired I'm pulling the trigger on an empty mag a lot. Not to mention a lot of my mags have the Chip McCormick springs and followers so that some of my mags hold 9 rounds. If the mags are already loaded I can't tell if I just stuffed an 8 or 9 round mag in.
Do you know what the whole rig weighs? I couldn't find any info on the website. From the youtube videos, it looks like the 10mm has a bit of a bark.
Unloaded no mag it was 8.6 pounds.
Gawd this thing is just too fun to shoot. The red/green dot scope makes it awesome!
Originally Posted by gandog56
Two total knee replacements kind of ended my hunting days.

Why?
I'd rather have a 41 marlin.
Yonder: What are the negative ramifications of turning the barrel profile down? I realize you do not want to change the bolt because of the blow back action but I do not understand your caution about a lighter barrel within reason. I like my MecTech but it sure is heavy and the barrel profile seems excessively thick. Thanks for the help.
If the bore isn't centered, slimming the barrel down can make things go a bit wonky. You may end up with a barrel that walks shots to one side as it heats up.

Either way, the barrel isn't that thick that you'll save a bunch of weight by re-profiling it. I shortened one to 11", and can barely tell a difference in weight; most of the weight is the bolt.
Yonder: Thanks for the info
Can't walk without pain. Can't even climb into a tree stand and just sit. Sure as heck can't drag a dead deer nowhere.
Originally Posted by jcurlee21
I have a 10mm MP5. I reload my own rounds and get 1590fps avg out of 165gr HP using 800x.

Are you a Class III dealer? Only ones I'm aware of and saw were in hands of FBI.

My issued MP5/40 is long gone but was a tack driver. Miss it every day. Never chronoed it, but it smacked steel much harder than same rounds from pistol.
I reckon not...
Man oh man, I be going through my 10mm reloads!
© 24hourcampfire