Home
Anybody ever hear of these? About an hour from now I'm buying this 7mm mag that they made in the 60's or 70's.
[Linked Image]

They're a gunshop in Oakdale PA and they use to have an inhouse riflesmith and they even made their own barrels. They used Mauser Mark X actions. Even though I'm a PA native I never even heard of this shop so I got their # and called them today and that is where I got the information that I have. I'm getting this gun for $400 and they assured me that it is well worth that.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I now own the rifle. Turns out it has a Santa Barbera Mauser action. How does that compare to a Mauser Mark X action?
I don't know anyone that would go out of their way for a Santa Barbara action. I've heard that heat treatment on them could be a bit suspect.
That's a shame.

Upon further research I've discovered this may be a Fajen rifle. Apparently Fajen made rifles with Santa Barbara actions, Federal Firearms barrels, and of course Fajen stocks.
Looks like a pretty nice bit of wood in that, and a good old gun.

I wouldn't regret buying it.

Be keen to see how that stock came up with a bit of a refresher; gentle rub back and a re-oil.
Originally Posted by bobnob17
Looks like a pretty nice bit of wood in that ... Be keen to see how that stock came up with a bit of a refresher; gentle rub back and a re-oil.

Kinda what I was thinking...
Moosemike, I did hear of this company when I was a kid or young man.. I think my pal made a .25-06 with one of their barrels.. Nice looking rifle.. Good caliber..
I might add in those days there were several shops around that made custom rifles like yours.. Grices in Clearfield used to make some pretty sharp rifles.. Saw one in W. Va. 7 or 8 years ago that would have sold for about $250 when new.. The guy had turned down $3500... But it was a very nice job.
Thanks guys. I've sent a message to Federal Firearms and I'm waiting to hear back so I know who made this gun (hopefully) and any other info I can obtain. Since its built on a Santa Barbara action apparently it was made in the Sixties. Or so I've been led to believe.
Incidentally, whats the bestproduct to use to revive the stock finish?
© 24hourcampfire