Home
In this crazy world of loony-ism I find myself fretting over 1/3 of a pound... Trying to decide on a 3 or 2b contour. Rifle is going to be a 6.5 creedmoor or 6.5 SLR. Don't even get me started on stocks!! Hahaha Humor me and tell me your opinions! Thanks!
I've got a 2B at 24" on a M70 7mm rem mag, I like it a lot and wouldn't want it any heavier. Keep in mind that a Bartlein 2B is the same as most everyone else's #3, while their #3 is the same as most other's #4's. I had a #4 Hart on a 7mm stw once, it was too heavy for a carry rifle for me.

This is it, it's in a Mcmillan hunter's edge stock. The aspect makes it look a little skinnier in the picture than in real life:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
2b all the way
I just had one put in my new 7MM-08, just got it put together yesterday so haven't had a chance to shoot it but from an overall feel & balance I think it will be about perfect. Its sure similar to a factory Rem sporter barrel, just a bit beefier mid barrel.
Mine is still at the smithys. Upon first impression,I really like it. Initial handling of the blank was just as Oregonmuley stated. I laid it in a Rem mag stock I have here. It looked as though an inch and a quarter or so of shank would clean up the Rem mag barrel channel for a nice clean look after bedding. Mine is going to be a M700 in 30/06 finished to 25". I'm pretty excited to get it in hand and check the balance.
Mines cut at 22" with 3/4" shank. I like it a bunch.
+1 to what Crow Hunter said....

Mine is a 270WBY. Shoots great and doesn't foul but I would not want it heavier!
So far, so good with mine. I just had three chambered up for a stainless SA 700. 22-250 8", 6.5x47 Lapua 8" and .308 10." All were finished at 24" with a .8" shank. I've only shot the 6.5x47 so far but during load workup I have found a charge with both H4350 and R15 that will group in the .4s for 5 shots with 130gr VLDs. This is by far, the best accuracy I have experience with a barrel contour this light. I have high hopes for the 22-250 and .308 barrels as well.

John
I think that a 3 Bartlein is heavier than a Hart 4.
There for the most part the same weight, dimensions very slightly but pretty much same same!
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I've got a 2B at 24" on a M70 7mm rem mag, I like it a lot and wouldn't want it any heavier. Keep in mind that a Bartlein 2B is the same as most everyone else's #3, while their #3 is the same as most other's #4's. I had a #4 Hart on a 7mm stw once, it was too heavy for a carry rifle for me.

This is it, it's in a Mcmillan hunter's edge stock. The aspect makes it look a little skinnier in the picture than in real life:

[Linked Image]

Very nice, how much does your rifle weigh as pictured?
I have a #3 Bartlien I just got from Bugholes and I like it. Definitly not a pencil weight for sure but not too heavy, it should balance the rifle nicely after its built. 6.5x47 Lapua will be the caliber.
Matt
Originally Posted by Ghostwalker

Very nice, how much does your rifle weigh as pictured?

Ghost,

I'm not sure to tell the truth, I don't have any scales to weigh it. I'll see if I can find a place to weigh it. It feels pretty light and balances well. In addition to the Edge stock it's also got PT&G aluminum bottom metal to keep the weight down.
Is it similar to a Rem Mag Sporter? I think I want a 2B bit want something slightly less than the Rem Mag Sporter.
Originally Posted by JRS3
Is it similar to a Rem Mag Sporter? I think I want a 2B bit want something slightly less than the Rem Mag Sporter.

Sort of, the 2B at about mid point of the barrel is thicker than a Rem sporter barrel. At the muzzle its actually a little smaller diameter when both are finished @ 22.5".
Got two 2B's in my shop getting ready to become part of the stable.

I think I am gonna like em' just fine but can't say for sure as these are the first I have had.

twofish
I have a #3 fluted on my Model 70 284 win, and it is heavier than I would like. Not exceptionally accurate either. Not impressed but I am sure I got a lemon.
Originally Posted by bludog
I have a #3 fluted on my Model 70 284 win, and it is heavier than I would like. Not exceptionally accurate either. Not impressed but I am sure I got a lemon.

Have you contacted Bartlein?
Not sure if any of these pictures are helpful but I hope they are a little.

All three barrels are finished @ 22.5". The stainless barrel is a factory SPS sporter in 7MM-08 I had recrowned at 22.5". The Bartlein 2B is the center barrel, also a 7MM-08, the right one is a fluted Brux #3, in you guessed it 7MM-08:) Its a little hard to tell but like I had mentioned, about mid-point the 2B is pretty beefy, but tapers nicely. The muzzle on the 2B comes out a bit more than the Brux but not as much as the factory Rem sporter.

Overall it makes for a really well balanced rifle, especially in a short action.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thanks Oregonmuley, those pics helped a bunch. What do you reckon the 2b rifle weighs?
As it sits, sans bi-pod 7 lbs 5 ozs.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Not sure if any of these pictures are helpful but I hope they are a little.

All three barrels are finished @ 22.5". The stainless barrel is a factory SPS sporter in 7MM-08 I had recrowned at 22.5". The Bartlein 2B is the center barrel, also a 7MM-08, the right one is a fluted Brux #3, in you guessed it 7MM-08:) Its a little hard to tell but like I had mentioned, about mid-point the 2B is pretty beefy, but tapers nicely. The muzzle on the 2B comes out a bit more than the Brux but not as much as the factory Rem sporter.

Overall it makes for a really well balanced rifle, especially in a short action.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hey Oregonmuley thanks for the nice pics. All great rifles. May I ask which barrel contour is your pick of the litter. Thanks!
Tough choice, the Brux #3 is nice but that Bartlein 2B might just be the perfect "hunting rifle" contour. I decided not to have it fluted which I think was a good thing.
My #3 Bartlein is going into a Manners EH3. I am concerned that it is going to be super nose heavy. Both stock and barreled action are in Indiana being fitted. I have never seen the two paired. Am considering having barrel pulled off and turned down to a 2B. Have to decide in a day or so. Anyone have any thoughts either way? Is pulling and reinstalling a barrel a big deal on a 700 action? Barrel is 24" and chambered 280ai. Gunsmith ( "Redneck" from here) recommended having it turned down from the get go. My dumb ass did not listen. Now concerned about balance.
Turn it down.

[Linked Image]

Dibs.... that's one of the coolest rigs I've seen posted in a while....

I just bought another one of those old Mark ARs yesterday.... 3-9 with the Mildot, was sitting on a shelf still in the shrink wrap... my favorite hunting scope of all time. Couldn't imagine a better rig for killing stuff.
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

[Linked Image]

That's a lucky find. I have 4 of the old Mark 2/AR scopes on various rifles, I think we might be 2 of the 5 people that liked them:)
Dibs.... that's one of the coolest rigs I've seen posted in a while....

I just bought another one of those old Mark ARs yesterday.... 3-9 with the Mildot, was sitting on a shelf still in the shrink wrap... my favorite hunting scope of all time. Couldn't imagine a better rig for killing stuff.

[Linked Image]

Is that a standard or custom paint job on the stock?
Thats a custom paint by our own stock painter here on the campfire - aka darrenk. His stock paint work is 1st class!!
Thats a custom paint by our own stock painter here on the campfire - aka darrenk. His stock paint work is 1st class!!

Thanks.

[Linked Image]

I've always loved this rifle. Would you mind listing the build specs?
Sure thing - its nothing uber special but I like how it turned out. The bolt flute, bolt knob and side bolt release where all done by Karl Feldkamp @ Kampfeld Customs. Rifle build was done by Accurate Ordnance, good guys to deal with.
Specs:
7MM-08, .316 NK, .090 FB
trued stainless Remy 700 short action
Sunny Hill .2405" lug
Timney thin shoe trigger @ 2.5 lbs
McMillan Classic Edge stock, 13.5 LOP, 1" pad & 2 stainless studs
pillar/glass bedded by AO
Badger M4 alloy bottom metal
Bartlein "2B" contour, 1-9" twist, finished @ 22.5"
Graphite Black Cerakote on all metal
Talley Lwt lows, older Leupold Mark 2 3x9x40 with LRD
GAP Flectarn paint by darrenk here on the campfire

7 lbs 5 ozs sans bi-pod
Frank, did you go with 1/2" shank on that one? I'm thinking of going that short with my next one. Thanks.
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Frank, did you go with 1/2" shank on that one? I'm thinking of going that short with my next one. Thanks.

Yup, it might be a hair more than 1/2" but pretty much how I asked them to finish it. Almost looks/balances like a factory Remy sporter which isn't a bad thing.
Nice 7-08
Oregon Muley, like others I think you probably have the perfect 7mm08 build. Very Nice
© 24hourcampfire