Home
... .30-06 and you were starting your rifle collection from scratch, what would you build???
Either a .25-06 or a .280 Improved... I think. I've been trying to decide which one to go with for my "mountain rifle" for a little over a year. A pile of parts with no direction is an ugly thing:-).
<br>
<br>Best, Matt.
A .30-06 Ackley.
<br>
<br>Rick
Oops, not exactly from scratch. I have a .30-06 already (If you're Big Stick, this is probably the same as starting from scratch [Linked Image]).
How 'bout a 25 Gibbs.
<br> Real close to .257 Wby. speeds, in a non belted case.
<br> Drop it in a micmillan mtn. rifle stock.
<br> Slap on a Leo. 3x9 compact and go mule deer hunting.
<br>
<br> good shootin, vbshootinrange
I'd build myself a ham sandwich and quit while I was ahead.
LOL Bill.
<br>
<br>Another man with unassailable logic. Where do these guys COME from, and who let them in?
<br>
<br>Rick
338-06 Ackley Improved.
<br>24" Pac-Nor #6
<br>McMillan M40A1 stock
<br>Badger Ord recoil lug and floorplate
<br>Leupold VX-III 1.5-5x20, heavy duplex
<br>Leupold PRW rings/bases
<br>
<br>MM
That's MUCH better. :0
<br>
<br>Rick
I'd swap it for a Ruger. E
I would build a good 30-06. I would develope a load with a 150 grain Ballistic Tip, one with a 180 Partition, and one with a 220 grain Partition. Put a # 4 contour Shilen barrel, 22 inches, High Tech stock painted grey\black web, black matte teflon on the metal, Timney trigger, Leupold 2.5 x 8 Vari-XIII on Talley's. I would probably use Norma brass and Reloder powder and Federal GM210M primers. Then I would look for a good place to hunt. Oh I forgot, I would make a load with match bullets to use for practice. Then I would look up Rick Bin and rub it in his face saying "I dont have to fireform"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<br>Then I would have to listen to "yeah but I can go faster"
<br>On and on and on and on
<br>Charlie Sisk
I would think a 30-06 would be a good start to anyone's rifle collection as is.
<br>
<br>But if I already had the '06 (which I do) I would look at a .35 Whelen or a 9.3x62. Of course this BDL better be Left-handed or I am giving it back. Sean
Definately a 25-06Ackley and with zero hesitation...............
Yeah Stick!
<br>
<br>Rick
It would depend on two things; what I wanted to use it for and what was already in my gun cabinet. If it were me, a 280 AI or a 25-06.
I was assuming this was the first rifle!! If it is a second or third, I would assume I already had the .270 and then I would vote for a .35 Whelen[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Mike
I agree with ROTR, no questions asked. 35whelen.
Darnit E, you beat me too it!
E, Of course the .30-06 I have IS a Ruger!
<br>
<br>Thanks guys!
MS.As big a fan as I am of the 280 AI.The 40 degree shoulder must go.To many resizing problems and tight cases with the Ackleys.I would build the "beltless magnum",The 270 Win.I would develop a load with a 130g Ballistic Tips,one with a 150g Swift A-Frames and just for fun and to see how good it would really shoot.Id grab some 135g Sierra Matchkings.Put a #4 Shilen barrel 24 inches long,High Tech stock.Shilen trigger.And a 1.5-6x42 Schmidt & Bender scope with a #7(4a)
<br>reticle on Talleys.Id finish up all metal work with a electroless nickle finish.I would most likey use Norma brass and Reloader or Norma powder and CCI BR-2 primers.
<br>We are pretty close there Mr Sisk.This should work very well for anything in the lower 48.
<br>dave
First choice a 35 Whelen, second a 338-06. -KT28
© 24hourcampfire