Home
Posted By: passport Rem 700 triggers - 06/13/15
What do you guys prefer, cleaned up factory trigger or a Timney? Got a 223 thats been cleaned up but still not as nice as I want.

I know a Jewel is/has been the best way to go but don't want to spent that much
Posted By: mmgravy Re: Rem 700 triggers - 06/13/15
Tuned factory....
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Rem 700 triggers - 06/13/15
I have shot a 0.2 moa group with 12 pound trigger in a 100 year old Sav 99 take down with a 6mmBR bull barrel screwed in.

EVERY Rem700 factory trigger is like heaven to me.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Rem 700 triggers - 06/13/15
Do a search and you will find more to read than you want to read.
I don't like factory Remington triggers that are modified. Either a Shilen or Jewell for me.
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Rem 700 triggers - 06/13/15
I have a couple Jewell triggers and do like them mostly, but the trigger shoe is a little narrow for me. Really like Shilens if I can get Karl Feldkamp to adjust them for me and take the sharp edge off the shoe.

Just recently got my first Timney, its the thinner shoe version, so far I'm really liking it a lot. For a hunting rig, the Shilen or Timney is hard to not like.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Rem 700 triggers - 06/13/15
I have all the old style " Walker" triggers on mine. I replace the new Xmark pro triggers before I fire the rifle. I have a number of remingtons and have shot thousands of rounds through them without incident.
Posted By: deflave Re: Rem 700 triggers - 06/13/15
Originally Posted by passport
What do you guys prefer, cleaned up factory trigger or a Timney? Got a 223 thats been cleaned up but still not as nice as I want.

Shilen.

Travis
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Rem 700 triggers - 06/13/15
I have old Walker triggers that break like glass, also have Jewells and Timney's. Some of the later M-700 triggers seem harder to tweak and I usually replace them.

My latest 700 project ended up with a Timney 510 from Ebay, to my door for $109. The safety on this one blocks the trigger, so there can be no difference in sear engagement, safety on/safety off. I never had a problem before, but that's what they say about the new 510. It's a great trigger.

To me, Jewell is the best, especially with very light pulls. If one wants a pull, 3#'s or more,the Jewell starts feeling a bit mushy and I like the Timeny better. Less than 2#'s, Jewells are in a class of their own.

Shilen is a good one, I had one and liked it.

HS Precision makes their own triggers in house. They're kinda like a Remington, are skeletonized and are super quality. My HS SPL .240 has one. It was good, but I honed it to perfection.

DF
Posted By: HawkI Re: Rem 700 triggers - 06/13/15
My fav is the Shilen for economy and end results.

Modified Remington triggers all tune differently; some are great, others don't respond as well. Often the sideplay needs shimmed, even if they adjust well.
Posted By: passport Re: Rem 700 triggers - 06/14/15
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

My latest 700 project ended up with a Timney 510 from Ebay, to my door for $109.

DF

Im looking at the same thing, how do you like the 510 so far?
Posted By: Mull Re: Rem 700 triggers - 06/14/15
I'd Much Rather Have a Worked Walker-Style.. The Last Timney I Bought Was One Of The worst Triggers I've Ever Had..Just Could Not Get The Creep Out Of It.. The Jewels Are the [bleep] If You Are Going Pound and less..
Posted By: Judman Re: Rem 700 triggers - 06/14/15
Pass the "cleaned" factory trigger...
Posted By: Stoneybroke Re: Rem 700 triggers - 06/14/15
Does the Shilen use the original Remington safety?
Posted By: powdr Re: Rem 700 triggers - 06/15/15
yes
Posted By: mmgravy Re: Rem 700 triggers - 06/15/15
I should have said the factory Walker... don't have a single "new" model.
Posted By: mmgravy Re: Rem 700 triggers - 06/15/15
I sure like the Jewels that I have as well, but the OP was asking between factory and Timney, thus my answer....
Posted By: Redneck Re: Rem 700 triggers - 06/16/15

??????????

You have a rifle??? I thought your safes only held shotguns??

laugh laugh
Posted By: passport Re: Rem 700 triggers - 06/16/15
Originally Posted by Redneck

??????????

You have a rifle??? I thought your safes only held shotguns??

laugh laugh

LOL!! I do indeed!! I shoot em when Im done shootin my scatterguns
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Rem 700 triggers - 06/23/15
A quality worked factory trigger, if not that then a Timney. I have also used Rifle Basix and Shilen. The 2 Shilen triggers i have had would not adjust to my liking. YMMV
Posted By: drover Re: Rem 700 triggers - 06/23/15
I bought a new Timney complete with safety for just slightly over $100 shipped, it took about 10 minutes to install the trigger and adjust it to one pound and 4 ounces (yes, I am aware that they advertise it as only going to 1-1/2 lbs). It is very consistent from pull to pull, within an ounce on my Lyman electronic gauge. The thing I really like about it is that the safety blocks the sear so the bolt can be operated with no fear of an accidental firing.

This is the first Timney I have bought in years and I was nicely surprised. I did have a Shilen prior to it and was not satisfied with it.

At the price for Walker triggers anymore if you have to pay to have them reworked you would be into it more than a new Timney.

drover
Posted By: SuperSeal110 Re: Rem 700 triggers - 06/30/15
Quit being a cheap arse and get a Jewel...
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Rem 700 triggers - 06/30/15

My latest 700 project ended up with a Timney 510 from Ebay, to my door for $109.

DF

Im looking at the same thing, how do you like the 510 so far?

Sorry I missed your post. Not ignoring you.

I like the 510 a lot. It's on my M-700/26 Nos/Shilen #2 SS Match. I'm working with a Long Action .257R on a CDL 700. Of coures, that one has the dreaded X-Mark. I may get another 510 for it.

I have some older Walker triggers tweated to make a Timney blush. But, you can't count on being able to do that to every one, especially some of the later ones.

DF
Posted By: passport Re: Rem 700 triggers - 06/30/15
Originally Posted by SuperSeal110

Where you been hiding boy!!!
Posted By: ldholton Re: Rem 700 triggers - 06/30/15
a little cheaper than jewel and a very good trigger is a timney calvin
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: Rem 700 triggers - 06/30/15
I just put a 510 on a SA 700. I like everything about it except the shoe width. The pull is, much to my surprise, as good or better than any Walker Remington or Shilen I've had. The bonus is it is a complete trigger with safety right out of the package. All you need is the bolt release lever and spring. With a Shilen, you have to provide the safety.

John

Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Rem 700 triggers - 06/30/15
Originally Posted by ldholton

I've seen the Calvin on Ebay.

What's the story on it?

DF
Posted By: SuperSeal110 Re: Rem 700 triggers - 07/01/15

I've been lurking...

I see you talked to my friend Jason. He was telling me about it a few weeks ago. I told him "what a small world."

Posted By: passport Re: Rem 700 triggers - 07/01/15

I've been lurking...

I see you talked to my friend Jason. He was telling me about it a few weeks ago. I told him "what a small world."

Got that right
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Rem 700 triggers - 07/01/15
Having witnessed a Walker trigger malfunction on several occasions over the last 20 years and doing hours of research on the topic any of them will go in the trash and replaced with anything else.

The truth is that at least 99.99% of those rifles will simply never malfunction. But 100% of them have the potential to do so and it has nothing to do with how the trigger is adjusted. If the trigger connector fails it will fail just as often if adjusted to 6 lbs as 6 oz.

The connector was identified as the cause in 1946. If it is welded in place so it can't move the trigger will never malfunction.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Rem 700 triggers - 07/01/15
Originally Posted by ldholton

I've seen the Calvin on Ebay.

What's the story on it?

DF

The two Ive played with have done excellent down to 6oz. That's what I run weight wise on my silhoutte rifles and could tell no real difference between calvins and jewles , I did not try to go lighter and as most real shooter know that's where jewels shine is at LIGHT !!! settings few if any can equal jewels at 2oz. I get a laugh out of joe dipshit that brag about their jewel triggers and when ask what it's set at they either don't know or say a real light 2# . Lots of trigger will do a fine job of makeing a good 2# hunting trigger
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Rem 700 triggers - 07/01/15
Jewells are a waste at 3#'s, are absolute works of art at very low wt. In fact, to me they get a bit mushy when at 3#'s or so. At that weight, I'd rather have a Shilen or Timney.

I need to read up on the Calvin. Is the geometry different, double lever, etc.??

DF
Posted By: Grand Re: Rem 700 triggers - 07/02/15
Drop a Holland Spring in a factory 700 trigger and you are GTG.
Posted By: RaySendero Re: Rem 700 triggers - 07/02/15
Originally Posted by mmgravy
Tuned factory....

Yep, Me, too.

My M700 triggers are set to 2 3/4" with no creep. They pass all the safety tests at these settings.
© 24hourcampfire